853 steering adjustment

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

HMILLER

I've just removed the 853 engine, hydrostatic system and fuel tank. I replaced the two o-rings on each neutral steer spline and shaft assembly (which was a very easy job BTW), repaired the fuel tank and reinstalled the whole thing. The neutral steer assembly leakage problems are corrected, the neutral steer is adjusted to the best its ever been, but now I notice that I'm having to push more left stick than right to travel in a straight line. I pretty sure I've seen this addressed in the service manual but can't for the life of me find it again. Does anyone have any experience with this (hopefully just an adjustment)? Any input is appreciated.

OP
OP
H

HMILLER

I have the mechanical. Just cables.
Let me back up here for a moment. The hydrostatic pump has a servo spool valve for the neutral steer adjustment. That is connected to the control arms with cables. It's a mechanical linkage from the steering levers via cables to the neutral spool valve, if that answers the original question.

Bobcatdan

Let me back up here for a moment. The hydrostatic pump has a servo spool valve for the neutral steer adjustment. That is connected to the control arms with cables. It's a mechanical linkage from the steering levers via cables to the neutral spool valve, if that answers the original question.
Good old crappy servo steer you lucky bastard. Long time since I've touched one, but I think you adjust the cable ends longer or shorter. If you have the propped service manual, the adjustment should be outlined.

OP
OP
H

HMILLER

Good old crappy servo steer you lucky bastard. Long time since I've touched one, but I think you adjust the cable ends longer or shorter. If you have the propped service manual, the adjustment should be outlined.
I believe that I just found the related text in the SM. It concerns adjusting Wheel RPM Left compared to Right, full forward travel only. This would probably be the adjustment as having to exert more left control lever forward would increase the Left RPM to equal the Right. It appears that loosening the bolts at the stop and then lowering the lever stops on both sides (this is done on the front panel where the steering levers are attached). Then it says to start the engine and check wheel RPM. If they're not the same raise the stop up on the faster side until RPM equal and tighten. (Sounds fairly easy except for trying to count wheel RPM. This is all done on jackstands, btw. I'll probably mark the tops of the tires so I can sit in the cab with a stopwatch and count the revs.) Does this procedure sound like whats needed?

Bobcatdan

I believe that I just found the related text in the SM. It concerns adjusting Wheel RPM Left compared to Right, full forward travel only. This would probably be the adjustment as having to exert more left control lever forward would increase the Left RPM to equal the Right. It appears that loosening the bolts at the stop and then lowering the lever stops on both sides (this is done on the front panel where the steering levers are attached). Then it says to start the engine and check wheel RPM. If they're not the same raise the stop up on the faster side until RPM equal and tighten. (Sounds fairly easy except for trying to count wheel RPM. This is all done on jackstands, btw. I'll probably mark the tops of the tires so I can sit in the cab with a stopwatch and count the revs.) Does this procedure sound like whats needed?
Buy a photo tach that uses defective tape. Wheel speed will probably be around 80 rpm +/-. Also verify tire pressure is correct and tire wear is pretty even.