7753 Block Heater for Winter time

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Corkwheats

Hi Guys, I have a 1992 Bobcat 7753. I'm looking for the best way to keep it warm, and easy yo start in the Winter (here in the U.P. of Michigan). This will be our first winter with the Bobcat. We don't have a garage. My hay guy said that he thought there should be a "plug in" with a block heater already installed. That would be swell. I took a peak and didn't see anything. Does anyone know the scoop? Thanks, Bob

Tazza

Staff member
There are plug in heaters available. You remove a welch plug in the head and install the heater.
Others have used a space heater and a tarp to warm their machine up.

OP
OP
C

Corkwheats

There are plug in heaters available. You remove a welch plug in the head and install the heater.
Others have used a space heater and a tarp to warm their machine up.
Is that the actual name? A "welch plug"? If so, that's what I'll pursue. So - it doesn't come with one already in it, eh? Thanks, Bob

Tazza

Staff member
Is that the actual name? A "welch plug"? If so, that's what I'll pursue. So - it doesn't come with one already in it, eh? Thanks, Bob
The heaters are called block heaters i think. I think they are known as freeze plugs too.

reaperman

If your machine has a frost plug heater already installed it would be on the top left side of the engine, under the big black radiator hose. It would be hard to see if the cord was disconnected for some reason. Follow the valve cover to the left and look under the big radiator hose. There will either be a frost plug there you can pop out and install a heater or if your lucky a heater without a cord. Assuming your engine is a 2203

OP
OP
C

Corkwheats

If your machine has a frost plug heater already installed it would be on the top left side of the engine, under the big black radiator hose. It would be hard to see if the cord was disconnected for some reason. Follow the valve cover to the left and look under the big radiator hose. There will either be a frost plug there you can pop out and install a heater or if your lucky a heater without a cord. Assuming your engine is a 2203
Thanks. I will get out there and check it out this weekend. My engine is a Kubota Diesel 46 H.P.

OP
OP
C

Corkwheats

Thanks. I will get out there and check it out this weekend. My engine is a Kubota Diesel 46 H.P.
Thanks for all the info. Here is the one I'm looking at buying: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Bobcat-Block-Heater-751-753-7753-763-773-Skid-Steers-Loader-New-/221673810037?hash=item339cc9e875:g:IX4AAOSwWKtUxrue

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for all the info. Here is the one I'm looking at buying: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Bobcat-Block-Heater-751-753-7753-763-773-Skid-Steers-Loader-New-/221673810037?hash=item339cc9e875:g:IX4AAOSwWKtUxrue
Looks about right to me.

OP
OP
C

Corkwheats

Looks about right to me.
I looked really hard today - trying to find exactly where this puppy is supposed to go. Can;t figure it out. They say a picture is worth 1,000 words. If anyone knows of a really good, detailed photo that shows the block heater, and where it goes on the 2203 diesel engine, I'd certainly appreciate it. I have never had to work on this skid steer since owning it, and I'm not much of a mechanic. I don't want to screw anything up, and may end up having to pay somebody to do it. Thanks, Bob

reaperman

I looked really hard today - trying to find exactly where this puppy is supposed to go. Can;t figure it out. They say a picture is worth 1,000 words. If anyone knows of a really good, detailed photo that shows the block heater, and where it goes on the 2203 diesel engine, I'd certainly appreciate it. I have never had to work on this skid steer since owning it, and I'm not much of a mechanic. I don't want to screw anything up, and may end up having to pay somebody to do it. Thanks, Bob
Copy this link. I took a pic of my 2203, I always have trouble posting pics here. You will notice the dull orange plug that is going sideways into the heater. Its the very top left side of engine block. Its hard to see because the big black radiator hose blocks it. Look on top of the flywheel cover and there is a loop with a hole on the top which pretty much points right at the frost plug. Hope this helps http://uploads.im/0jxw2.jpg

OP
OP
C

Corkwheats

Copy this link. I took a pic of my 2203, I always have trouble posting pics here. You will notice the dull orange plug that is going sideways into the heater. Its the very top left side of engine block. Its hard to see because the big black radiator hose blocks it. Look on top of the flywheel cover and there is a loop with a hole on the top which pretty much points right at the frost plug. Hope this helps http://uploads.im/0jxw2.jpg
Thanks for everything. I have the block heater (OEM) on hand, and an experienced friend is gonna help me install it. One question - once you pop out the freeze plug, and install the block heater.....does some sort of goop go around it? Or, does it just pop in? Do I need to drain out all the coolant? By the way, does it use regular, everyday type coolant, like Prestone? I'm hoping to get an Operators Manual for it soon - I know very little about this puppy. Love it, though - runs great! One other question......where is the Hour Meter located? Thanks, Bob

reaperman

Thanks for everything. I have the block heater (OEM) on hand, and an experienced friend is gonna help me install it. One question - once you pop out the freeze plug, and install the block heater.....does some sort of goop go around it? Or, does it just pop in? Do I need to drain out all the coolant? By the way, does it use regular, everyday type coolant, like Prestone? I'm hoping to get an Operators Manual for it soon - I know very little about this puppy. Love it, though - runs great! One other question......where is the Hour Meter located? Thanks, Bob
The manual calls for propylene glycol (13qts), the green stuff. It wouldn't hurt to drain and replace your antifreeze unless you know for sure its been replaced lately. Its pretty easy to do. Directly above the fuel filter and below the fuel shutoff solenoid linkage, you will find a small petcock or drain valve. Simply add a small section of hose to the nipple on the valve and open the little lever to let the antifreeze drain. Make sure you remove the radiator cap first so all of the coolant can drain. If you don't need to replace the coolant this is still the easiest way to drain some antifreeze out to install the frost plug. As far as putting some sealant around the frost plug, I don't think its necessary.