763 fuel occasional starvation

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Ironwood

So, I have a 763 and the fuel guage is erratic and never truely worked. When I first bought hte machine (300 hours ago, now has 2000) occasionally it would sputter due to "fuel issue" (previous owners discription), well the issue seems to have gotten worse and now it is dying every 10 minutes or so (sucks fuel bulb FLAT). Wait 20 minutes and runs for 10 more, etc..... So, I think the float has disinegrated and blocking pick up tube. Any thoughts. I am hoping to NOT have t odrop the tank. How about a flush from bottom drain tube, new sending unit and clean screen. I read one other thread where the guy had to make a special wrench to reach it (no problem can forge weld etc..). Any help greatly appriciated. Ironwood

Tazza

Staff member
You can drain the fuel by getting under the machine and removing the plate under the belly that has 3 bolts in it. There will be two plugs, one in the metal chain case, the other into the plastic fuel tank. Make sure you get the right one. Drain the fuel, see if you have bits of crud floating in it.
With the cab up, remove the pickup tube, the return line can stay put. Check the screen, if there is a fair amount of crap in the tank, i have removed the pickup screen all together. There is still the main filter the fuel has to pass through.
The fuel gauge can be a pain to remove, its on the right side looking from the cab end. It will not be fun to access. I used multi-grips on mine, but different ones can be tighter.

OP
OP
I

Ironwood

You can drain the fuel by getting under the machine and removing the plate under the belly that has 3 bolts in it. There will be two plugs, one in the metal chain case, the other into the plastic fuel tank. Make sure you get the right one. Drain the fuel, see if you have bits of crud floating in it.
With the cab up, remove the pickup tube, the return line can stay put. Check the screen, if there is a fair amount of crap in the tank, i have removed the pickup screen all together. There is still the main filter the fuel has to pass through.
The fuel gauge can be a pain to remove, its on the right side looking from the cab end. It will not be fun to access. I used multi-grips on mine, but different ones can be tighter.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I have the service manual and did notice the drain option. In the short run (between thunderstorms, working outside) I got the fuel tubes out, the pick up had no screen on it (I have one here from Bobcat from the previous owner), I think that the pickup tube may have been sucking and sticking to the bottom of the tank, it was straight as an arrow and look like the perfect length to do just that. So, now to figure out how to get the gromet and hose back INTO the little hole in the plastic tank (I may taper the end of the gromet, there is enough "meat" there to do that), and will wait the rain out and try later tonight to "git-her-dun" Thnaks again for hte input, Ironwood

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the prompt reply. I have the service manual and did notice the drain option. In the short run (between thunderstorms, working outside) I got the fuel tubes out, the pick up had no screen on it (I have one here from Bobcat from the previous owner), I think that the pickup tube may have been sucking and sticking to the bottom of the tank, it was straight as an arrow and look like the perfect length to do just that. So, now to figure out how to get the gromet and hose back INTO the little hole in the plastic tank (I may taper the end of the gromet, there is enough "meat" there to do that), and will wait the rain out and try later tonight to "git-her-dun" Thnaks again for hte input, Ironwood
They sure can be a pig to re-install. New ones from the dealer aren't that expensive either, they install much easier. I have used a grinder on them to round the point a bit more to get it to install properly on used ones. Sometimes they are too far gone for this to work though.
Good luck with it, the hardest one you will have is the fuel sender. You can't bend it or it can break. You don't want to do that on the new one!

Bobcatdan

They sure can be a pig to re-install. New ones from the dealer aren't that expensive either, they install much easier. I have used a grinder on them to round the point a bit more to get it to install properly on used ones. Sometimes they are too far gone for this to work though.
Good luck with it, the hardest one you will have is the fuel sender. You can't bend it or it can break. You don't want to do that on the new one!
When it is dying, take the fuel cap off. I had a rash of bad fuel caps two years go.

OP
OP
I

Ironwood

When it is dying, take the fuel cap off. I had a rash of bad fuel caps two years go.
Bobcat, Thanks for the input. For the benefit of all, I did find out my problem,...previous owner removed the screen, and the hose was sucking itself to the bottom of the tank. I had a new OEM screen from said "brilliant" former owner, and was able to reinstall the screen and "pretaper" the rubber sealing tank gromett with a belt sander to get it to pop back into the hole. Running like a champ now, And yes Idid remove he filler cap t oinsure it wasnt creating a vaccum. Thanks Thanks Ironwood

OP
OP
I

Ironwood

Bobcat, Thanks for the input. For the benefit of all, I did find out my problem,...previous owner removed the screen, and the hose was sucking itself to the bottom of the tank. I had a new OEM screen from said "brilliant" former owner, and was able to reinstall the screen and "pretaper" the rubber sealing tank gromett with a belt sander to get it to pop back into the hole. Running like a champ now, And yes Idid remove he filler cap t oinsure it wasnt creating a vaccum. Thanks Thanks Ironwood
OK, ran fine for several hours then started "collapsing" the primer bulb again before the filter, so clogged again. Well pulled the new screen, nothing blocking it, so removed it and the end closest to it at the bulb and blew it out with an airline and WOW, chunks of cork (from the float) where jambd in line at the elbow (I would guess they jambed in as it made the constricting turn at the elbow) When the previous owner removed the screen and didnt replace it, it allowed the cork to rush in. So, it is fixed but what a pain. Ironwood