743 Fixer Upper

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Sadler91

Bought an old 80's 743. Not sure of the exact year. I am a beekeeper and already have a 751. But this 743 has a vertical mast on it. Makes it far easier to see the bee pallets and load them on trucks in the dark. There are a few issues I need to get fixed. First, that thing starts terribly. I have to basically hold the starter to get it to crank even after preheating. I assume the glow plugs need to be changed? Next, the machine ran hot on me after running it a few minutes. I topped off the radiator first but I think it needs a good flush and maybe a new thermostat. Third, it seems to drip a lot of oil out of the blowby tube. Maybe it was because it ran a little hot but I am slighty concerned. I assume that is bad sign. And lastly, it wont shut off with the key. I have to hit the fuel shutoff on the engine. Is it missing some sort of shut off solenoid? I know this post is kind of a ramble, but I just need a little input as to whether it is worth fixing or maybe just mount the mast on my 751. Thanks, Colby.

6brnorma

Now that explains that cable pull lol. Guess the cable is seized in the casing.
Sadler....don't want to hijack but you didn't say where you are located in your profile. I noticed your post on the 610 thread.....did/do you ever run the 610s?

Tazza

Staff member
Sadler....don't want to hijack but you didn't say where you are located in your profile. I noticed your post on the 610 thread.....did/do you ever run the 610s?
The oil out the breather tube sounds like the engine is a bit worn. This could be the reason why it starts so hard.
Check the glow plugs, pull them and ensure they glow all the way to the tip. I had a high hour 743 and the glow plugs were hour glass shaped from being used so much. They only glowed at the base.

OP
OP
S

Sadler91

The oil out the breather tube sounds like the engine is a bit worn. This could be the reason why it starts so hard.
Check the glow plugs, pull them and ensure they glow all the way to the tip. I had a high hour 743 and the glow plugs were hour glass shaped from being used so much. They only glowed at the base.
Replaced the glow plugs and all the connections. Had some corrosion on my connectors and those old aluminum wires. Brand new alternator and a battery as well. Still starting slow. Starter seems to have plenty of kick left in her. What else do I need to check. Or judgin by a previous post, is there anything else to check?

OP
OP
S

Sadler91

I live in Central Florida, Lakeland to be exact. My grandpa and my dad had one and a 600 before that. Way before my time though. Although I know of some beekeepers that still use them. Quite a few of them do actually.

Tazza

Staff member
I live in Central Florida, Lakeland to be exact. My grandpa and my dad had one and a 600 before that. Way before my time though. Although I know of some beekeepers that still use them. Quite a few of them do actually.
The only thing else to check is the compression, if it's low, that's why it's starting hard. The high hour machine i had would be hard to start, but when going it would go all day. When hot it would restart easily too.

OP
OP
S

Sadler91

The only thing else to check is the compression, if it's low, that's why it's starting hard. The high hour machine i had would be hard to start, but when going it would go all day. When hot it would restart easily too.
Ran it for a little bit today and it blows quite a bit of smoke out of the blowby and drips oil about every 5-10 seconds. I assume the rings are shot? It does run good once I get it cranked but still runs hot. Brand new thermostat and I flushed and refilled the system.

Tazza

Staff member
Ran it for a little bit today and it blows quite a bit of smoke out of the blowby and drips oil about every 5-10 seconds. I assume the rings are shot? It does run good once I get it cranked but still runs hot. Brand new thermostat and I flushed and refilled the system.
I think the rings/cylinders are worn too.
The engine my 743 came with was in a horrible state. I pulled it down and checked ring end gap, with the ring nad cylinder wear, i think i had about 1/8" of end gap, i think it was a little more than it should have been....
Dependsing on what you plan on using the machine for, you may need to re-condition it. You can get new liners installed or bore them out and fit over sized pistons and rings.
Keep in mind, you can pretty well drop a V2203 engine in, they are available off ebay at a pretty good price. Do you sums, and go from there.

OP
OP
S

Sadler91

I think the rings/cylinders are worn too.
The engine my 743 came with was in a horrible state. I pulled it down and checked ring end gap, with the ring nad cylinder wear, i think i had about 1/8" of end gap, i think it was a little more than it should have been....
Dependsing on what you plan on using the machine for, you may need to re-condition it. You can get new liners installed or bore them out and fit over sized pistons and rings.
Keep in mind, you can pretty well drop a V2203 engine in, they are available off ebay at a pretty good price. Do you sums, and go from there.
Well I fired her up today to move something around the shop and she smoked like a steam engine. After that it lost power and pretty much wont move without bogging down to an idle. So the engine is shot. What to do now?

OP
OP
S

Sadler91

Well I fired her up today to move something around the shop and she smoked like a steam engine. After that it lost power and pretty much wont move without bogging down to an idle. So the engine is shot. What to do now?
I think for sure the rings and cylinders are shot. Out of curiosity I tried to crank it today and got nothing. The compression is gone. Im gonna get a hold of bobcat and see what a rebuild will cost. Ill post the details up when I get them.

mrdeere1959

I think for sure the rings and cylinders are shot. Out of curiosity I tried to crank it today and got nothing. The compression is gone. Im gonna get a hold of bobcat and see what a rebuild will cost. Ill post the details up when I get them.
reman is $ 3938.70

OP
OP
S

Sadler91

The reefers on tractor trailers use Kubota 1903's and 2203's. Contact a local repair shop and see if they have a running long block of the engine you need. Thats where most of them on ebay come from.
Will do bud. Appreciate the info.

redman3638

I didnt tell you but....... MEMOPARTS.COM. Complete rebuild kit under a grand.
FYI. You found them on the internet. They are crazy about protecting their dealer network but If you found them on the net then they will sell to you at the same cost as the dealer will pay plus a few percent and you pay the shipping. All in all half price or less than everyone else.