2005 Case 410 Skidsteer Won't Start...

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
P

Ppwcanada

The only thing I can find is to bleed them out by the injectors need a better mind on this one
Ok, so when I went to bleed the fuel lines, I loosened off all the lines going to the injectors and had the wife spin the engine. How much fuel should be coming out?? Cause there was very little, like eye dropper rate... Certainly didn't make a mess. Leading me to think there should be more than that.... Anyone ever cracked the lines before? Thanks so much to my responders!! I don't have a local dealer and it is a pain to get the damn thing loaded up!!

jerry

Ok, so when I went to bleed the fuel lines, I loosened off all the lines going to the injectors and had the wife spin the engine. How much fuel should be coming out?? Cause there was very little, like eye dropper rate... Certainly didn't make a mess. Leading me to think there should be more than that.... Anyone ever cracked the lines before? Thanks so much to my responders!! I don't have a local dealer and it is a pain to get the damn thing loaded up!!
First post you said lots of fuel coming to injectors, did you mean to the pump? What kind of fuel shut off is it ? Electrical or manual? Make sure it is working and fuel to the pump then check that one you had out again. If it sprays then check glow plugs. Even new ones could be not working. I see Tazza mention undoing one line and attaching injector to check spray so I think you are not getting enough right now.

Tazza

Staff member
First post you said lots of fuel coming to injectors, did you mean to the pump? What kind of fuel shut off is it ? Electrical or manual? Make sure it is working and fuel to the pump then check that one you had out again. If it sprays then check glow plugs. Even new ones could be not working. I see Tazza mention undoing one line and attaching injector to check spray so I think you are not getting enough right now.
There isn't much fuel that goes to the injectors, far less than you may think is normal.
Have you got 12V to the glow plug rail?

OP
OP
P

Ppwcanada

There isn't much fuel that goes to the injectors, far less than you may think is normal.
Have you got 12V to the glow plug rail?
It's over 50 below Celsius here with the windchill today, really slows down outside projects... lol

OP
OP
P

Ppwcanada

Funny cold makes me work faster lol
Ok so an update. Finally warmed up here. I tarped the engine off and threw a heater at it for a couple hours yesterday. Here is a quick recap: Last fall, before it was cold out it got hard to start. It would fire and the more you spun the quicker it would fire until it finally took off. Now it won't start at all. But it will fire and puff between bluish and blackish smoke. I have changed, both fuel filters, glow plugs, starter and alt and air filter (which was plugged). I am starting by boosting with my truck so lots of power. Block heater and a pan heater working. Battery blanket as well. I have bled the lines at the injectors. There is 12v to the glow plugs when cycled and a cycle will make them hot enough to sizzle snow. I have not pulled the injectors yet 1 because I have no one to start it while I watch until next week, and second with it puffing smoke and with fuel at the injector I wasn't sure the injectors would be an issue. But I will check them next week anyway!! Is there a chance the mechanical fuel pump is out of time? There is a solenoid on the the cab side of the pump, what is that for and is there a chance that is pooched? The unit had almost summer conditions when I tried to start it tonight. It fires in rhythm but wont catch.

Tazza

Staff member
Ok so an update. Finally warmed up here. I tarped the engine off and threw a heater at it for a couple hours yesterday. Here is a quick recap: Last fall, before it was cold out it got hard to start. It would fire and the more you spun the quicker it would fire until it finally took off. Now it won't start at all. But it will fire and puff between bluish and blackish smoke. I have changed, both fuel filters, glow plugs, starter and alt and air filter (which was plugged). I am starting by boosting with my truck so lots of power. Block heater and a pan heater working. Battery blanket as well. I have bled the lines at the injectors. There is 12v to the glow plugs when cycled and a cycle will make them hot enough to sizzle snow. I have not pulled the injectors yet 1 because I have no one to start it while I watch until next week, and second with it puffing smoke and with fuel at the injector I wasn't sure the injectors would be an issue. But I will check them next week anyway!! Is there a chance the mechanical fuel pump is out of time? There is a solenoid on the the cab side of the pump, what is that for and is there a chance that is pooched? The unit had almost summer conditions when I tried to start it tonight. It fires in rhythm but wont catch.
I guess it is always possible the pump is out of time, but i wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet.
What happens if you crank the engine and give it a quick shot of WD40 into the air cleaner? It's like starting fluid, just not as harsh.
It could be a few things, lower compression, bad glow plugs, blocked injectors. See if it pops with the WD40, that will confirm you have compression. We can work from there.
Depending on the injector style, some can be dismantled at home to ensure the nozzle is not stuck. Do one at a time, never mix parts.

jerry

I guess it is always possible the pump is out of time, but i wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet.
What happens if you crank the engine and give it a quick shot of WD40 into the air cleaner? It's like starting fluid, just not as harsh.
It could be a few things, lower compression, bad glow plugs, blocked injectors. See if it pops with the WD40, that will confirm you have compression. We can work from there.
Depending on the injector style, some can be dismantled at home to ensure the nozzle is not stuck. Do one at a time, never mix parts.
What grade of fuel is in the tank and is there antigel in it? If the problem started last fall it may be cold related. Change the fuel filter and when you do if possible fill it with #1fuel and maybe even a little power service 911.

jerry

What grade of fuel is in the tank and is there antigel in it? If the problem started last fall it may be cold related. Change the fuel filter and when you do if possible fill it with #1fuel and maybe even a little power service 911.
No matter how warm the engine is the fuel still can gel in the cold.

OP
OP
P

Ppwcanada

No matter how warm the engine is the fuel still can gel in the cold.
Im not sure the grade of diesel, we only get one choice here at the pump. Its mainky winter diesel and yes ample antigel ive added. But i believe i have 911 here and ill toss that in as well. Just changed the filters. Going totry the wd40 this afternoon when i have someone to turn the key. Thanks so much u guys!

OP
OP
P

Ppwcanada

Ok here we go... I pulled the separator/filter and added half a filter of 911. my wife turned it over as I gave it a shot of wd40. It again was firing in rhythm but the wd didn't seem to do any thing, but I only gave a 1 sec shot. I did notice it was puffing pretty thick black smoke. I pulled all 4 injectors and rehooked them to the fuel lines, again she spun it over and all four see to spray like champs. Only difference I noticed was that the forward most cylinder to the cab (#4) was more of a straight line squirt and the other 3 were misting more. I covered the holes and that's how it sits. I have a compression tester as that was my next step but of course don't have the adapter for the injector port. I will try to dig something up this weekend. Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

OP
OP
P

Ppwcanada

Ok here we go... I pulled the separator/filter and added half a filter of 911. my wife turned it over as I gave it a shot of wd40. It again was firing in rhythm but the wd didn't seem to do any thing, but I only gave a 1 sec shot. I did notice it was puffing pretty thick black smoke. I pulled all 4 injectors and rehooked them to the fuel lines, again she spun it over and all four see to spray like champs. Only difference I noticed was that the forward most cylinder to the cab (#4) was more of a straight line squirt and the other 3 were misting more. I covered the holes and that's how it sits. I have a compression tester as that was my next step but of course don't have the adapter for the injector port. I will try to dig something up this weekend. Any thoughts? Thanks guys!
Oh and the bottoms of all 4 injectors were pretty carboned up, I didn't touch them or try cleaning yet but they were certainly black... wasn't sure if that was normal or a sign. First time I had diesel injectors out..

Tazza

Staff member
Oh and the bottoms of all 4 injectors were pretty carboned up, I didn't touch them or try cleaning yet but they were certainly black... wasn't sure if that was normal or a sign. First time I had diesel injectors out..
A coating of carbon is normal, but big lumps of carbon are not.
#4, how different was it? for indirect injection type injectors, they should spray a narrow cone with no drips forming at the tip of the nozzle. Were the ends clean of fuel?
The firing eratticly like you are describing is making me consider valve clearance or more drastic compression issues. With WD40, the firing should have been smoother, not just one pot firing, but all 4 in sequence.
You really need an adaptor for the tester, unless you can get one to fit the glow plug holes

OP
OP
P

Ppwcanada

A coating of carbon is normal, but big lumps of carbon are not.
#4, how different was it? for indirect injection type injectors, they should spray a narrow cone with no drips forming at the tip of the nozzle. Were the ends clean of fuel?
The firing eratticly like you are describing is making me consider valve clearance or more drastic compression issues. With WD40, the firing should have been smoother, not just one pot firing, but all 4 in sequence.
You really need an adaptor for the tester, unless you can get one to fit the glow plug holes
No lumps of carbon just looks like they had a light coating of carbon. The 3 injectors were cone like I would guess that the spray ended 1" from the end of the injector. #4 was nearly straight and a stream and maybe 1 1/4" or so. The firing is the same every revolution. The unit only has 1200 hours so I was hoping compression wouldn't be an issue yet. I am off to the city tomorrow for a new set of injectors(while im there) and try to find something to do a compression test as well.

OP
OP
P

Ppwcanada

No lumps of carbon just looks like they had a light coating of carbon. The 3 injectors were cone like I would guess that the spray ended 1" from the end of the injector. #4 was nearly straight and a stream and maybe 1 1/4" or so. The firing is the same every revolution. The unit only has 1200 hours so I was hoping compression wouldn't be an issue yet. I am off to the city tomorrow for a new set of injectors(while im there) and try to find something to do a compression test as well.
Yes the 3 injectors seemed to have a 1/8" or so gab before you saw the spray but the 4th could have been closer. It was a totally different spray pattern. Im going to replace all 4 to be sure. Im also going to pull the exhaust to be sure there is not obstruction. I know the air filter was clogged when I checked it and changed it, that wouldn't trip anything would it?

OP
OP
P

Ppwcanada

Yes the 3 injectors seemed to have a 1/8" or so gab before you saw the spray but the 4th could have been closer. It was a totally different spray pattern. Im going to replace all 4 to be sure. Im also going to pull the exhaust to be sure there is not obstruction. I know the air filter was clogged when I checked it and changed it, that wouldn't trip anything would it?
Well I found the problem. Cylinders 1,2 and 4 compression range from 225-300psi, #3 is 0. I am hoping a stuck valve...

OP
OP
P

Ppwcanada

Well I found the problem. Cylinders 1,2 and 4 compression range from 225-300psi, #3 is 0. I am hoping a stuck valve...
I have a question about crud in the engine. I am pulling the head off as the intake valve is stuck. I was pulling the pushrods, all were loose and oiled well except for one on #1 in take. It was hard to get out when I did pull it out (by hand) there was a huge buildup of "crud" dirt, grime, what ever you may call it. Any idea why? There was a lot of carbon and junk sitting on the top of the head I believe from #3 blowing back through the intake, it may be from that but not sure why just one rod.

Tazza

Staff member
I have a question about crud in the engine. I am pulling the head off as the intake valve is stuck. I was pulling the pushrods, all were loose and oiled well except for one on #1 in take. It was hard to get out when I did pull it out (by hand) there was a huge buildup of "crud" dirt, grime, what ever you may call it. Any idea why? There was a lot of carbon and junk sitting on the top of the head I believe from #3 blowing back through the intake, it may be from that but not sure why just one rod.
If the valve was stuck, fuel would not fully burn and stick, over time it would build up. Even a leaky injector could do it i think.
Lets hope when you get the valves free and adjusted, it will get it's compression back