1998 Lx 865 Turbo leak from bell housing

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

MCastleberry

Leaking from bottom of bell housing and flinging out from gap on sides of bell housing and block. I'm not sure how the transmission is designed but thinking there must be an input shaft seal of sorts that has started leaking? Can't find any online images to know how it's designed and if removing engine is the only way to repair or can transmission come out from seat side? I'm very mechanically inclined and not afraid of repairing myself but need to know how it's designed and best way to tackle it. Thanks for any help as this is first machine I've ever owned/operated. Fluid is white/clear in color and is a gear oil I'm assuming and not hydraulic

flyerdan

Moved to the NH forum where the resident gurus are more likely to see it and be able to help.

Mike10

There is a seal between the gear box and engine block. Remove the hydro pumps. You will need to support the engine at the bell housing. The cover to the bell housing is the mount for the engine on that end. Drain the oil from the bell housing. remove the bell housing cover. Remove the gear bolted to the crankshaft. The seal is now accessible to replace. With the hydros out the input shaft seals of the hydros should also be replaced because the seals will get hard and leak oil into the bell housing. Remove the snaprings and gears from the input shafts. Care should be taken because there is a needle thrust bearing under the seal. I use a small drill bit to drill a hole into the seal and use a seal puller to pull the seal out. A screw and pliers will also work. Installation of the seal is the place care needs to be taken so the lip of the seal does not fold over. I use a pliers on the shaft and levered against the housing and pry the shaft upwards enough so the seal can be worked onto the shaft and then slide the assy back into the housing using a block I have made to finish driving the seal home.

OP
OP
M

MCastleberry

There is a seal between the gear box and engine block. Remove the hydro pumps. You will need to support the engine at the bell housing. The cover to the bell housing is the mount for the engine on that end. Drain the oil from the bell housing. remove the bell housing cover. Remove the gear bolted to the crankshaft. The seal is now accessible to replace. With the hydros out the input shaft seals of the hydros should also be replaced because the seals will get hard and leak oil into the bell housing. Remove the snaprings and gears from the input shafts. Care should be taken because there is a needle thrust bearing under the seal. I use a small drill bit to drill a hole into the seal and use a seal puller to pull the seal out. A screw and pliers will also work. Installation of the seal is the place care needs to be taken so the lip of the seal does not fold over. I use a pliers on the shaft and levered against the housing and pry the shaft upwards enough so the seal can be worked onto the shaft and then slide the assy back into the housing using a block I have made to finish driving the seal home.
Thank you so much for your reply, this helps tremendously!!!