1994? I Think 743 DS weak drive very noisy

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
With the cover off you can grab the brake disc if it's not cold where you are I am leaning to the brake locked up
The pump could be worn too.
Does it lift the bucket pretty quickly?
Is the oil all foamy after running it?

OP
OP
T

totaleq0111

make sure aux hydraulics arent engaged
The oil is foamy...I guess this is to be expected since it had almost no hyd oil in it. never found any brake lever when the rain stops i will pull the covers and have a look. the bucket and boom lift pretty fast and hold a load in any position and will lift a bucket full of sand as fast as empty. I got this thing from my uncle who owns a forklift shop and he was using it at his house to spread gravel before he parked it and he swears that when he parked it a few years ago it was working good. which is probably since he spread about 20 30 yards of gravel around his shop at the house.

OP
OP
T

totaleq0111

The oil is foamy...I guess this is to be expected since it had almost no hyd oil in it. never found any brake lever when the rain stops i will pull the covers and have a look. the bucket and boom lift pretty fast and hold a load in any position and will lift a bucket full of sand as fast as empty. I got this thing from my uncle who owns a forklift shop and he was using it at his house to spread gravel before he parked it and he swears that when he parked it a few years ago it was working good. which is probably since he spread about 20 30 yards of gravel around his shop at the house.
the aux hyd linkage is disconnected from the control valve and it is also pinned where it connects to the steering linkage. if the linkage isnt hooked up to the control valve what is the natural state of the spool in the control valve? Also does anyone know if this system has a flow through valve system? Thanks for all the help.

OP
OP
T

totaleq0111

the aux hyd linkage is disconnected from the control valve and it is also pinned where it connects to the steering linkage. if the linkage isnt hooked up to the control valve what is the natural state of the spool in the control valve? Also does anyone know if this system has a flow through valve system? Thanks for all the help.
Sorry had to put the babies to bed last night and didnt get to reply last night I live in GA and it has been unusually cold this winter here but it hasnt been below freezing for a week or so

antfarmer2

Sorry had to put the babies to bed last night and didnt get to reply last night I live in GA and it has been unusually cold this winter here but it hasnt been below freezing for a week or so
I am still going with the brake or froze up

antfarmer2

I am still going with the brake or froze up
When it stops raining we will take the covers off and clean the chain case and if your hydro oil has no water in it will pump it in the chaincase and replace with 15-40 I am in Texas and that's what I use so I have one oil for all the back cover has your brakes in there I just replaced my pucks but did not need to if you need them I could send

OP
OP
T

totaleq0111

When it stops raining we will take the covers off and clean the chain case and if your hydro oil has no water in it will pump it in the chaincase and replace with 15-40 I am in Texas and that's what I use so I have one oil for all the back cover has your brakes in there I just replaced my pucks but did not need to if you need them I could send
I really think you are right antfarmer I felt like it was a brake problem from the getgo. but my lack of knowledge on this machine has had me having bad dreams about drive pump rebuilds. It looks like the floor plates have to come out to get that cover off to see the brake assy is that right? I would be interested in buying those old pucks from you ant I have a UPS shipper # you could ship them with. I have been an avid reader of forums but have never posted anything, this has been a good experience. Thanks again.

antfarmer2

I really think you are right antfarmer I felt like it was a brake problem from the getgo. but my lack of knowledge on this machine has had me having bad dreams about drive pump rebuilds. It looks like the floor plates have to come out to get that cover off to see the brake assy is that right? I would be interested in buying those old pucks from you ant I have a UPS shipper # you could ship them with. I have been an avid reader of forums but have never posted anything, this has been a good experience. Thanks again.
I have one too and just got done rebuilding the whole chain case another thing you must do is grease the ujoints I replaced mine email me at antfarmer1212at yahoo.com I think I can get you going

antfarmer2

I have one too and just got done rebuilding the whole chain case another thing you must do is grease the ujoints I replaced mine email me at antfarmer1212at yahoo.com I think I can get you going
Just take off the plate that the steering stick go through

7LBSSMALLIE

this has been a good thread, still want to know the DS thing. yea my old screams too. . im thinkin lets revisit this from the top. if you can get it inside jack up and support. pull tires and covers clean it( cant fix it if you cant see it) we will walk you thru this could be fun, I have always joked about phone wrenches, but now it is reality . this can be done. pictures and video at the touch of one finger for me., could reinvent. the trouble shooting world anybody got the savvy to make it happen? we got a thousand guys out here readining this stuff. that's about a million years of bobcat repair. just need some one to put it together. its not going to be us one fingered typist, skinned knuckles. grease under nails dudes, probally some punk with jewelry on his face. im looking at another 15 in trenches be nice to speed that up

OP
OP
T

totaleq0111

this has been a good thread, still want to know the DS thing. yea my old screams too. . im thinkin lets revisit this from the top. if you can get it inside jack up and support. pull tires and covers clean it( cant fix it if you cant see it) we will walk you thru this could be fun, I have always joked about phone wrenches, but now it is reality . this can be done. pictures and video at the touch of one finger for me., could reinvent. the trouble shooting world anybody got the savvy to make it happen? we got a thousand guys out here readining this stuff. that's about a million years of bobcat repair. just need some one to put it together. its not going to be us one fingered typist, skinned knuckles. grease under nails dudes, probally some punk with jewelry on his face. im looking at another 15 in trenches be nice to speed that up
My neighbor is one of those computer prodigies he grad from GA Tech (and I forgive him) at 21 hes always asking me to do how to videos for projects so he can put them on his site maybe i should push him in this direction. I didnt have much time to work on the old girl today. but one handed with my son in my other hand I fired her up ( works a lot better cold than hot and lifted the cab got on a stud with a nut coming thru the plate that has silicone all over it cleaned off the silicon and turned the nut it just goes round and round but as i turn it did seem like it got easier and then harder I am hoping to have some time to get that cover off and see whats going on with that brake this weekend thanks again for all the help and dig the "phone wrench" as a long time forklift/industrial equipment tech I have been fortunate to have a lot of phone wrenchs on hand namely my dad 30 years old 12 years in the business with a 2 year old and thwins on the way and my dad is still the best tech ive ever known

antfarmer2

My neighbor is one of those computer prodigies he grad from GA Tech (and I forgive him) at 21 hes always asking me to do how to videos for projects so he can put them on his site maybe i should push him in this direction. I didnt have much time to work on the old girl today. but one handed with my son in my other hand I fired her up ( works a lot better cold than hot and lifted the cab got on a stud with a nut coming thru the plate that has silicone all over it cleaned off the silicon and turned the nut it just goes round and round but as i turn it did seem like it got easier and then harder I am hoping to have some time to get that cover off and see whats going on with that brake this weekend thanks again for all the help and dig the "phone wrench" as a long time forklift/industrial equipment tech I have been fortunate to have a lot of phone wrenchs on hand namely my dad 30 years old 12 years in the business with a 2 year old and thwins on the way and my dad is still the best tech ive ever known
Yes the fluid thins the hotter it gets and wrong to start with but once you clean your chain case if it has no water in it will be a good start to filling it..........someone has taken off your brake system so far your missing the pedal the rod and lever and spring.........when you take off the back plate it should have a heavy block bolted to it with two slots where the brake disc go and three brass pucks for shoes........the disc are snap ringed to the gear reduction box .........I wounder how much more is missing...........we don' know yet if it has any oil in the case yet and it has been sitting a long time it might be bearings rusted up I just changed all of mine such a fun job but found tricks to pull the whole case and repair it by myself

OP
OP
T

totaleq0111

Yes the fluid thins the hotter it gets and wrong to start with but once you clean your chain case if it has no water in it will be a good start to filling it..........someone has taken off your brake system so far your missing the pedal the rod and lever and spring.........when you take off the back plate it should have a heavy block bolted to it with two slots where the brake disc go and three brass pucks for shoes........the disc are snap ringed to the gear reduction box .........I wounder how much more is missing...........we don' know yet if it has any oil in the case yet and it has been sitting a long time it might be bearings rusted up I just changed all of mine such a fun job but found tricks to pull the whole case and repair it by myself
Okay this thing has only 90psi of charge pressure at idle or revved up =/- 5psi when driving the machine and monitoring charge pressure it drops when the machine is put into a bind (going uphill, steering) if you run the bucket or lift arms while trying to drive the charge psi drops almost to nothing. when trying to drive moving the machine around charge psi falls to around 25-30. I really dont think this is a hydraulic/charge pump problem because the machine will lift a loaded bucket with no problem...where all can i check for charge psi problems. I have checked the charge relief in the drive pump, the case drain in the port block the filter is new fluid was changed to 15w40 valvoline. really need to get this thing going. Thanks for the help. Ps I did pull the chain cover and checked for water found it was low on oil but oil inside looked good all bearings and seals i can find seem to look good. is there brakes built into the drive motor?

jerry

Okay this thing has only 90psi of charge pressure at idle or revved up =/- 5psi when driving the machine and monitoring charge pressure it drops when the machine is put into a bind (going uphill, steering) if you run the bucket or lift arms while trying to drive the charge psi drops almost to nothing. when trying to drive moving the machine around charge psi falls to around 25-30. I really dont think this is a hydraulic/charge pump problem because the machine will lift a loaded bucket with no problem...where all can i check for charge psi problems. I have checked the charge relief in the drive pump, the case drain in the port block the filter is new fluid was changed to 15w40 valvoline. really need to get this thing going. Thanks for the help. Ps I did pull the chain cover and checked for water found it was low on oil but oil inside looked good all bearings and seals i can find seem to look good. is there brakes built into the drive motor?
This may not apply but you mention port block. If it is the port block on top of the pumps like the 632 there is a filter in it inside the center fitting on the right side and on the back side under a bolt there is a relief valve. When I redid my 632 I put a new spring on that relief just because I figured that after 30 years it may have got tired. The new spring was slightly longer and it did have higher charge pressure after. Don't know if any of this helps but if you can lift a good load with no problem it might. The dealer could check out the pumps for flow and pressure ,have no idea about cost tho.

antfarmer2

This may not apply but you mention port block. If it is the port block on top of the pumps like the 632 there is a filter in it inside the center fitting on the right side and on the back side under a bolt there is a relief valve. When I redid my 632 I put a new spring on that relief just because I figured that after 30 years it may have got tired. The new spring was slightly longer and it did have higher charge pressure after. Don't know if any of this helps but if you can lift a good load with no problem it might. The dealer could check out the pumps for flow and pressure ,have no idea about cost tho.
What year did you say this was 94? Does it have a big steel block on the left side of the pump with three hoses comming out of it? If so the center one has a brass filter in it that will screw you the brake disce are on the the gear reduction box on the outside of the chains if there

antfarmer2

What year did you say this was 94? Does it have a big steel block on the left side of the pump with three hoses comming out of it? If so the center one has a brass filter in it that will screw you the brake disce are on the the gear reduction box on the outside of the chains if there
Is your serial # under 5000 if so it is one of the first one and changes the whole game Jerry got it I should have asked but was going by the 94 year

Latest posts