? would a techs only page be benfical

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

7LBSSMALLIE

mind you im here on my time only cause I love it and this is what I do and I love it. granted not on the clock. therefore an adult bevarge just may be being consumed. that being said. a place wehre like minded techs can communicate openly with out trashining the equipment or MNFacture.. without scrunity.. from the public or the hand that feeds us.. DONT KNOW? can it be done? calltrac tried and failed. what im gettining at is an open dissection of guys with boots on the ground nothining written in stone. just a frank and honeset dissection. was getting ready to delete post due bad grammar and misspelling. but gonna rol whit it cause I think its imporantant. let chips fall where they may. Christ comms between techs is hard enough let alone branches, consider what our knowledge base could be.

Tazza

Staff member
The only issue is how to decide who is a tech and who isn't? Do we need to keep an eye on who is still out in the field and who isn't?

OP
OP

7LBSSMALLIE

The only issue is how to decide who is a tech and who isn't? Do we need to keep an eye on who is still out in the field and who isn't?
yea we would. and airining our dirty laundry in public wont help anybody. so yea lets keep on on keepining on , my only concern is by helpinining these dudes out are we stealining buisneess from dealers. now some of the comments about dealer exeperiance concern me. id like to think that . all dealers the same a buisness partner. but im startining to doubt that. i suppose where im goining with this is a moral dillema. do we share the info we have worked so hard to aquire. with jimmy joe blow. or are we statining in fact that we are pretty shit hot at what we do, ? and you tried you failed bring it to dealer.

owensge

yea we would. and airining our dirty laundry in public wont help anybody. so yea lets keep on on keepining on , my only concern is by helpinining these dudes out are we stealining buisneess from dealers. now some of the comments about dealer exeperiance concern me. id like to think that . all dealers the same a buisness partner. but im startining to doubt that. i suppose where im goining with this is a moral dillema. do we share the info we have worked so hard to aquire. with jimmy joe blow. or are we statining in fact that we are pretty shit hot at what we do, ? and you tried you failed bring it to dealer.
So you'd like a private forum for just techs to communicate between each other? This would be only available to the techs?

vinito

So you'd like a private forum for just techs to communicate between each other? This would be only available to the techs?
I'll add my own thoughts on this for what it's worth.
A good dealer has staying power I believe in part because they are helpful to customers, potential customers and probably even other dealers. Holding information with the assumption that a customer has no other recourse but to pay for every minute of a business's time is a quick way to drive customers to make a beeline to a more helpful dealer, or even different brand.
Also, guys who prefer to fix their own machines do so for various reasons. One is to save money (sometimes lots of it) and another is they may feel more secure maintaining things themselves rather than put their trust in someone else. These kinds of guys will do their own thing whether a dealer is helpful or not, and if the dealer isn't helpful it hurts their reputation. Being helpful is just good marketing, and it's CHEAP. Taking pot shots at customers, employees or other dealers is rather stupid and it's the kind of marketing nobody wants if they want their business to grow.
If a dealer was worried about DIY guys, they should take some solace in the fact that there are far fewer folks with the mechanical knack than there were even a decade ago, and a ton less than two, three and four decades ago. It doesn't make sense to build a reputation for being stingy when it only affects such a small group which is diminishing more as time goes on.
So long story short, if you wish to offer advice but fear for your job in doing so, set up an anonymous screen name for the sole purpose of isolating yourself from harm and advise to your heart's content. I don't see any need at all for a techs-only forum. Could be I'm just dense, but I can't see how it would make sense.
FWIW

lesgawlik

I'll add my own thoughts on this for what it's worth.
A good dealer has staying power I believe in part because they are helpful to customers, potential customers and probably even other dealers. Holding information with the assumption that a customer has no other recourse but to pay for every minute of a business's time is a quick way to drive customers to make a beeline to a more helpful dealer, or even different brand.
Also, guys who prefer to fix their own machines do so for various reasons. One is to save money (sometimes lots of it) and another is they may feel more secure maintaining things themselves rather than put their trust in someone else. These kinds of guys will do their own thing whether a dealer is helpful or not, and if the dealer isn't helpful it hurts their reputation. Being helpful is just good marketing, and it's CHEAP. Taking pot shots at customers, employees or other dealers is rather stupid and it's the kind of marketing nobody wants if they want their business to grow.
If a dealer was worried about DIY guys, they should take some solace in the fact that there are far fewer folks with the mechanical knack than there were even a decade ago, and a ton less than two, three and four decades ago. It doesn't make sense to build a reputation for being stingy when it only affects such a small group which is diminishing more as time goes on.
So long story short, if you wish to offer advice but fear for your job in doing so, set up an anonymous screen name for the sole purpose of isolating yourself from harm and advise to your heart's content. I don't see any need at all for a techs-only forum. Could be I'm just dense, but I can't see how it would make sense.
FWIW
I benefit from this site by reading what the knowledgeable post in response to questions. I would not benefit from a techs only forum.

Hotrod1830

I benefit from this site by reading what the knowledgeable post in response to questions. I would not benefit from a techs only forum.
You say your worried about " The hand that feed'd you" seeing what your saying? ANYTHING written on a public forum is viewable by all. Think about it. One of the big wig's at Bobcat could log in as a "tech" and still see everything you say. Would someone have to show a special license to log into this forum, or do they just answer " yes" to the " Are you a tech" question??
What you are wanting is a "private messaging" system. More secure from prying eye's.

OP
OP

7LBSSMALLIE

You say your worried about " The hand that feed'd you" seeing what your saying? ANYTHING written on a public forum is viewable by all. Think about it. One of the big wig's at Bobcat could log in as a "tech" and still see everything you say. Would someone have to show a special license to log into this forum, or do they just answer " yes" to the " Are you a tech" question??
What you are wanting is a "private messaging" system. More secure from prying eye's.
vinto is right what im concerened about is the pwrs that be puttining down the hammer. on open discussion of current . issues take for example you publish something like headlight bulb failure? yea maybe a bad run from manfucture. who knows ? but will it turn into i need my bulbs replaced cause i saw on the google that bulbs were bad. as of right now im dealing with drive belt deflection is it an isolated incident or a major across the board run. can we open a can o worms in a public fashion. not a good idea i think but is this day and age prrivacy is gone.. but a clear and open dissuction board between techs in an open and frank matter without public diclousure has it merits?.

Tazza

Staff member
vinto is right what im concerened about is the pwrs that be puttining down the hammer. on open discussion of current . issues take for example you publish something like headlight bulb failure? yea maybe a bad run from manfucture. who knows ? but will it turn into i need my bulbs replaced cause i saw on the google that bulbs were bad. as of right now im dealing with drive belt deflection is it an isolated incident or a major across the board run. can we open a can o worms in a public fashion. not a good idea i think but is this day and age prrivacy is gone.. but a clear and open dissuction board between techs in an open and frank matter without public diclousure has it merits?.
The thing is, how would the powers that be know who was passing on the details? and is anything that they share with their mechanics classed as for your ears/eyes only?
We don't have access to the fancy tools that you do, but we have access to all the parts.
The good thing with your nickname on the site, i don't know if anyone could work out who was talking to us :)

Hotrod1830

The thing is, how would the powers that be know who was passing on the details? and is anything that they share with their mechanics classed as for your ears/eyes only?
We don't have access to the fancy tools that you do, but we have access to all the parts.
The good thing with your nickname on the site, i don't know if anyone could work out who was talking to us :)
7LBSSMALLIE is'nt really out of line with his concerns about the "power's that be" finding out who posted something on the net. It has been proven, You are not really anonymous on the internet. If they need to know where something came from, they will find out.
I come from the automotive world. If the right person mutters the words " common problem" or ," yeah, that's gonna be a recall", It can bite the manufacturer in the rear. Not sure how the laws apply to the equipment industry.
We always get a kick out of the customers that have been " reading on the internet" about a TSB, and they would like that done.....For free!!! We have to explain that, not only is it not a recall, and therefor not free, but your vehicle is'nt even included in the TSB.

Tazza

Staff member
7LBSSMALLIE is'nt really out of line with his concerns about the "power's that be" finding out who posted something on the net. It has been proven, You are not really anonymous on the internet. If they need to know where something came from, they will find out.
I come from the automotive world. If the right person mutters the words " common problem" or ," yeah, that's gonna be a recall", It can bite the manufacturer in the rear. Not sure how the laws apply to the equipment industry.
We always get a kick out of the customers that have been " reading on the internet" about a TSB, and they would like that done.....For free!!! We have to explain that, not only is it not a recall, and therefor not free, but your vehicle is'nt even included in the TSB.
Wouldn't that sort of information be above most peoples pay grade? and they may have to sign a NDA to read it to prevent this exact situation?
I know what you mean though, one person hears it, and posts on social media it soon gets around and dealers get harassed.
There was something going around about faulty air bags in a LOT of cars, i wasn't too worried, i got a letter in the post telling me about it and what to do next. That was about a year ago, nothing has happened since :)

Hotrod1830

Wouldn't that sort of information be above most peoples pay grade? and they may have to sign a NDA to read it to prevent this exact situation?
I know what you mean though, one person hears it, and posts on social media it soon gets around and dealers get harassed.
There was something going around about faulty air bags in a LOT of cars, i wasn't too worried, i got a letter in the post telling me about it and what to do next. That was about a year ago, nothing has happened since :)
Air bag problems? Never heard of it :)

Latest posts