Tree Xtractor?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dozer

I was looking at possibly getting into some light farm tree removal and came across this attachment. It solves tree removal by just pulling the whole tree with lateral root system. No need to tree shear and then stump grind since even 12" down is not far enough for farming operations as eventually they will hit those stumps. I have looked all around and I can't find anything like this. I can't find a company or anything. Could this be a homeade attachment? here is a link to a picture. http://www.shelterbeltsolutions.com/images/Shopdoor.jpg if anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated. Although I wonder how difficult it would be to make this attachment. If you had a tree grabber at the base and hydraulic jacks to lift the stump this could work pretty easy. DOZER

Tazza

Staff member
I have seen attachments close to this, they have 3 or 4 blades attached to rams that you sit around the tree, they all push down and dig the roots up so you can lift the entire tree out. On a small skid steer i can;t see it working, also if the ground is hard or rocky. I do see a tree spade working better. Go around it and cut around the base of the tree then you can make a grab to pull it out?
I have never needed an attachment like this so i don't know if that would work. When i need a tree down i try and push it down with the skid steer. Worst case i cut it down then use the backhoe attachment to dig the stump out.

OP
OP
dozer

dozer

I have seen attachments close to this, they have 3 or 4 blades attached to rams that you sit around the tree, they all push down and dig the roots up so you can lift the entire tree out. On a small skid steer i can;t see it working, also if the ground is hard or rocky. I do see a tree spade working better. Go around it and cut around the base of the tree then you can make a grab to pull it out?
I have never needed an attachment like this so i don't know if that would work. When i need a tree down i try and push it down with the skid steer. Worst case i cut it down then use the backhoe attachment to dig the stump out.
The reason this product could be useful to me is clearing out tree rows. The company that is using it says it will rip a 30" diameter tree out of the ground. No tree spade that fits on a skid can do that. Its not designed to transplant. Its designed to remove. What it looks like to me is that the main teeth grab onto the trunk and then the outrigger arms lift the tree 12" . then you reset and do it again. If the teeth can hold on I can see it working pretty sharp and you could move through trees pretty quick. Just something I was looking at. thanks Dozer

Tazza

Staff member
The reason this product could be useful to me is clearing out tree rows. The company that is using it says it will rip a 30" diameter tree out of the ground. No tree spade that fits on a skid can do that. Its not designed to transplant. Its designed to remove. What it looks like to me is that the main teeth grab onto the trunk and then the outrigger arms lift the tree 12" . then you reset and do it again. If the teeth can hold on I can see it working pretty sharp and you could move through trees pretty quick. Just something I was looking at. thanks Dozer
Oh, well i can see that doing a better job then. If you can grip the tree and the rams are tough enough i can see them lifting some trees out of the ground. The thing to watch is some have serious tap roots that require a LOT of force, more than i would think that would be able to provide. Shallow rooted trees i see no problems though.

OP
OP
dozer

dozer

Oh, well i can see that doing a better job then. If you can grip the tree and the rams are tough enough i can see them lifting some trees out of the ground. The thing to watch is some have serious tap roots that require a LOT of force, more than i would think that would be able to provide. Shallow rooted trees i see no problems though.
Well I guess we have to hope someone who has seen one in action will chime in. Dozer