Thomas 245 HDS Need Some Advice :)

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

matt204

Hello Everyone. I'm new to the forum and new to the skid steer world. I recently purchased a property and need to make a driveway and build house and will need a skid steer. I found one for sale locally its a 99 Thomas 245 HDS with a 84 hp turbo deutz engine. it has 3900 hours on it but I'm told the oil cooling port plugged up and burnt a piston. I'm mechanically inclined and have rebuilt car engines before. Should I stay away from it? Comes with a loader bucket, enclosed with heat, tires are good. What do you think its worth? Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Those engines aren't cheap to replace if the damage is more than a burnt a piston. If it got hot, there could be bultiple issues, spun bearings, scuffed bores, possibly a cracked head.
Those engines are excellent, but costly to repair. As you haven't bought it yet, you really can't tell how bad it is before pulling it down.
The bst i can suggest is to price it estimating the bores will need doing, head gasket, timing belt, new pistons and rings, bearings all round and a crank re-grind. The bearings may be fine, but still best to factor that in.
Oh, being a turbo, they get the oil from the engine to cool them, i'd like to remove the inlet hose and ensure the compressor still spins without and end play.

OP
OP
M

matt204

Those engines aren't cheap to replace if the damage is more than a burnt a piston. If it got hot, there could be bultiple issues, spun bearings, scuffed bores, possibly a cracked head.
Those engines are excellent, but costly to repair. As you haven't bought it yet, you really can't tell how bad it is before pulling it down.
The bst i can suggest is to price it estimating the bores will need doing, head gasket, timing belt, new pistons and rings, bearings all round and a crank re-grind. The bearings may be fine, but still best to factor that in.
Oh, being a turbo, they get the oil from the engine to cool them, i'd like to remove the inlet hose and ensure the compressor still spins without and end play.
Ok Will Do. Thanks

Latest posts