Thomas 243 smoker

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dave8fire

Newbie here, I have a Thomas 243 with a Deutz oil cooled (BF4M 1001 F) It has started smoking, only a slight amount then progressed as if you were pouring oil into the exhaust, white with a motor oil smell. I have removed the turbo and muffler. The inside of the muffler is coated with thick oily residue, the air intake side of the turbo is clean, the exhaust side is coated with oil and the inside of the exhaust manifold also has oil in it. I am mechanical, but have never attempted any work on a diesel. Any thoughts as to where the oil may be coming from, my first thought is valve seals?? Replace some on dodge years ago. Looking for friendly advise. dave--ohio

Tazza

Staff member
If you are getting a lot of smoke, i would suspect turbo seals. The small amount of oil you would get from the valve stem seals would burn up pretty fast when running, you especially notice valve stem seals when starting as oil gathers at the base of the valve and burns at startup with a cloud of blue smoke.
I would start with the turbo. With the manifold off, see if the shaft wobbles or not, it should be pretty firm and have little to no play. If it moves your bearings are bad and the seals are no doubt worn.

skidsteer.ca

If you are getting a lot of smoke, i would suspect turbo seals. The small amount of oil you would get from the valve stem seals would burn up pretty fast when running, you especially notice valve stem seals when starting as oil gathers at the base of the valve and burns at startup with a cloud of blue smoke.
I would start with the turbo. With the manifold off, see if the shaft wobbles or not, it should be pretty firm and have little to no play. If it moves your bearings are bad and the seals are no doubt worn.
Remove the pipe from the turbo to the engine intake and see if its oily inside. Does it seem to start and run ok otherwise?
Ken

OP
OP
D

dave8fire

FYI for those who look at my orginal post...ended up with a blown head gasket. Oil was filling the piston and smokin' like crazy.

kroog

FYI for those who look at my orginal post...ended up with a blown head gasket. Oil was filling the piston and smokin' like crazy.
Dave,
I have a T243 HDS. Is yours the 243 or the 243S? Please let me know. I haven't found many out there.
Thanks
kroog