Tach Installation

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RIT

Does anyone have suggestions for mounting a tachometer on a 1997 ASV RC-60? I am looking at installing a digital tach of some sort. I have never installed a tach on a diesel. What would be the best way to hook it into the wiring harness? Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
It all depends on what sort of pickup it uses.
Some use a pezo sensor on one of the injector lines, some can use a connection to the alternator and some can have a sender and magnet attached to the fly wheel. It all depends on what you machine has and what the digital tach is designed to accept. Good luck!

OP
OP
R

RIT

It all depends on what sort of pickup it uses.
Some use a pezo sensor on one of the injector lines, some can use a connection to the alternator and some can have a sender and magnet attached to the fly wheel. It all depends on what you machine has and what the digital tach is designed to accept. Good luck!
I have been looking at tachometers but finding little of what I am looking for. I am looking for a flat mounted digital gauge of some sort. I have found a few of what I am looking for that have the magnet/flywheel setup. Has anyone put one of these on a smaller engine such as the 60 HP Perkins?

skidsteer.ca

I have been looking at tachometers but finding little of what I am looking for. I am looking for a flat mounted digital gauge of some sort. I have found a few of what I am looking for that have the magnet/flywheel setup. Has anyone put one of these on a smaller engine such as the 60 HP Perkins?
Adding a tach sensor is generally done by drilling and threading the bellhousing 3/4" nft then threading the sensor in right outside the ring gear teeth. The magnet in the sensor counts the teeth as they rotate past and the tach reads the power generated.
I have also seen it done on the cam gear teeth, though when i installed a sensor there on a 6068 JD diesel there was too few teeth and we could not calibrate the tach to read the correct rpm.
Ken

OP
OP
R

RIT

Adding a tach sensor is generally done by drilling and threading the bellhousing 3/4" nft then threading the sensor in right outside the ring gear teeth. The magnet in the sensor counts the teeth as they rotate past and the tach reads the power generated.
I have also seen it done on the cam gear teeth, though when i installed a sensor there on a 6068 JD diesel there was too few teeth and we could not calibrate the tach to read the correct rpm.
Ken
Has anyone tried out the Diesel Tiny-Tach. http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/operating_diesel.html It looks like it will work for my application. There are 2 sizes. Will I need the 6mm size or the 1/4 inch? Thanks