stump grinders

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BPS

I have seen a lot of different stump grinders out there. The Bobcat model looks big, but one advantage seems to be that you don't have to reposition the skid steer... I was wondering what models you all have and what you like and don't like about them, thanks...

skidsteer.ca

The model we sell has two cylinders, one to sweep it sideways 55 degrees, and another to control the depth of the cut to 8" below grade without rolling out the bucket cylinders. The unit has support feet on each side of the quick attach plate to allow a steady platform and make cutting more controlable.
The wheel is offset to the side of the arm to allow good visabilty. It is also rated to run on flows between 15 and 32 gpm
Ken
http://www.skidsteer.ca/sales.mht

OP
OP
B

BPS

The model we sell has two cylinders, one to sweep it sideways 55 degrees, and another to control the depth of the cut to 8" below grade without rolling out the bucket cylinders. The unit has support feet on each side of the quick attach plate to allow a steady platform and make cutting more controlable.
The wheel is offset to the side of the arm to allow good visabilty. It is also rated to run on flows between 15 and 32 gpm
Ken
http://www.skidsteer.ca/sales.mht
That one kind of looks like the one I saw that Quick Attach makes. It seems like your model would get into some tighter spaces than the Bobcat. How is the reliabiltiy of these company's attachements? Where can these products be serviced if they have problems? That's one of the reasons I was considering the Bobcat stump grinder. thanks.

skidsteer.ca

That one kind of looks like the one I saw that Quick Attach makes. It seems like your model would get into some tighter spaces than the Bobcat. How is the reliabiltiy of these company's attachements? Where can these products be serviced if they have problems? That's one of the reasons I was considering the Bobcat stump grinder. thanks.
From what I sold for them I have exchanged one wire harness. Had it been a local sale I could have fixed it in my shop in 30 minutes.
They make oem quality products, just as the did for Bobcat for 17 years. For minor failures we just ship out a replacement component, if it was something serious and or difficult to change, they would have a labour allowance for a shop of your choice, or replace the attachment if it comes to that. But like any manufacturer they relaize there can't be enough said for making sure its right in the first place.
The Erskine line is sold through dealers, so someone local to you may carry and service it.
The Quick Attach line is sold online and backed with tech support and components if needed.
The majority of the product could be serviced or repaired by any mechanic. There is no electronic/computer components or proprietary parts like Bobcat uses to force you back to them. Some customers like having a huge company backing what they sell, myself personally I prefer products that are not unnecessarily overly complex and can be service by myself or a shop of my choice. Because after the factory warranty is up I'm the one that has to keep it running.
The two product line are essentially the same.
Thanks for looking
Ken

OP
OP
B

BPS

From what I sold for them I have exchanged one wire harness. Had it been a local sale I could have fixed it in my shop in 30 minutes.
They make oem quality products, just as the did for Bobcat for 17 years. For minor failures we just ship out a replacement component, if it was something serious and or difficult to change, they would have a labour allowance for a shop of your choice, or replace the attachment if it comes to that. But like any manufacturer they relaize there can't be enough said for making sure its right in the first place.
The Erskine line is sold through dealers, so someone local to you may carry and service it.
The Quick Attach line is sold online and backed with tech support and components if needed.
The majority of the product could be serviced or repaired by any mechanic. There is no electronic/computer components or proprietary parts like Bobcat uses to force you back to them. Some customers like having a huge company backing what they sell, myself personally I prefer products that are not unnecessarily overly complex and can be service by myself or a shop of my choice. Because after the factory warranty is up I'm the one that has to keep it running.
The two product line are essentially the same.
Thanks for looking
Ken
Thanks for your information. Are the two (Erskine and Quick Attach) manufactured by the same company? If so, are the only differences between the two is the tech support and dealers?

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for your information. Are the two (Erskine and Quick Attach) manufactured by the same company? If so, are the only differences between the two is the tech support and dealers?
Yes, it mainly comes down to how the customer wants to purchase the product. Many customers are still not online or computer friendly, and prefer to work with a local dealer. And on the other hand there is a growing number of people who are comfortable working through any issues they may have over the phone. So the manufacturer has two lines, and two ways of selling product. But ones is not a Chev and the other a Caddy, they are the same.
Ken

OP
OP
B

BPS

Yes, it mainly comes down to how the customer wants to purchase the product. Many customers are still not online or computer friendly, and prefer to work with a local dealer. And on the other hand there is a growing number of people who are comfortable working through any issues they may have over the phone. So the manufacturer has two lines, and two ways of selling product. But ones is not a Chev and the other a Caddy, they are the same.
Ken
I went with the Bobcat model. It should pay for itself and make me some money this year. I posted an ad in a local newspaper and a few on craigslist. In two weeks I've ground about 75 stumps.

I went with the Bobcat model. It should pay for itself and make me some money this year. I posted an ad in a local newspaper and a few on craigslist. In two weeks I've ground about 75 stumps.
The bobcat model is pretty good, and even though you are no longer in the market, Bradco also produces a great Stump Grinder as well. Check it out here: Bradco Stump Grinder at EverythingAttachments.com