Stump Grapple on Tire Skid Steer instead of Track Machine?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

joeym

I was recently watching a demo video about a Stump Grapple. I was wondering if anyone here has one and using it on a tire machine instead of a track machine like is shown in the video. Seems to perform well, but on the tire machine clips they had over the tire steel tracks on it, so let me know how much the performance it loses on just a tire machine. Thanks!

skidsteer.ca

A tire machine won't have the pushing power, the wheels would spin easier, ott tracks would help a lot though. That is also a large frame track loader.
They have chosen ideal soil, sand with no rocks to demonstrate the attachment, in the heavy clays and stony gravel we have around here you would have a tough time getting that in the ground the way they show it being done. You would be much better off to weaken the roots with a attachment like that, then push the tree down using the trunk and a bucket full of dirt, then cut it off the stump once its up rooted.
A backhoe attachment (or excavator) would make a much better stumping tool. But of couse the price is higher too,
In tougher soils I can dig a 10 to 12 inch stump out just as fast or faster, in our tougher soil. With a lot less ground distubance around the stump site.
Ken

Land-Tech

A tire machine won't have the pushing power, the wheels would spin easier, ott tracks would help a lot though. That is also a large frame track loader.
They have chosen ideal soil, sand with no rocks to demonstrate the attachment, in the heavy clays and stony gravel we have around here you would have a tough time getting that in the ground the way they show it being done. You would be much better off to weaken the roots with a attachment like that, then push the tree down using the trunk and a bucket full of dirt, then cut it off the stump once its up rooted.
A backhoe attachment (or excavator) would make a much better stumping tool. But of couse the price is higher too,
In tougher soils I can dig a 10 to 12 inch stump out just as fast or faster, in our tougher soil. With a lot less ground distubance around the stump site.
Ken
A set of forks used incorrectly, can be great for breaking roots and levering a stump out.That attachment has more use grabbing boulders and rocks to build walls.Forks will slip into the ground much easier and a machine with tires can insert them fairly well too . You should never have to charge with a machine, like what he is doing in the video.
Like Ken mentioned a backhoe or mini does even better. Before I got anything like an excavator, I used the forks to break up the ground pretty regularly. and still do if I don't have anything else. Scott

A.G.

My Gregory grapple beats it easily. This tool is having trouble penetrating the soil around the rootwad, and that is why the operator is ramming into it, and actually spinning the tracks in moderate conditions. Also it lacks gripping power, vs the Gregory.
It kinda looks like a set of forks turned sideways on edge, so ground penetration is easy. Then when you feel the root, simply close the grapple right through the soil, and get a positve grip or encircle the root. Now by lifting straight up or levering, snap it. Go around the tree right quick and repeat a few times if needed. Grab the stump by the top and lift out, shake it to drop the dirt from the roots back in the hole. If you have too much dirt you can pinch it out to dry out the stump wad for burning later, or just to make it lighter for lifting/hauling. Some old stumps, or smaller ones just lift out without digging, depends on the soil, and what kind of tree, etc. Also neat for popping out roots in a lawn with minimal damage to turf.
And you do other neat jobs with it, like snapping out concrete for example.

Dirtwise

I've been using a TS-15 tree shear on the front of my 185.B (love it). T-1 STEEL CUTS TO 15" trees IN 5 SECONDS, 1,365 Lbs. Can index the head and use it to pick up and move the tree's you cut out of your way. There are a few con's but the pro's have it beat.