Stump Bucket w/ grapple

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

brogan007

Looking around at options for picking up logs/tree trunks. Wondering if anyone has experience of using a stump bucket with a grapple? Looks like I'd be able to precisely pick put logs from a mess of branches, rather than a full width grapple. Using pallet forks at the moment with mixed results. Looking at this cheaper bucket. Anybody have one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250949463374&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:1120

lesgawlik

I have that exact one. It works reasonably well, and would probably work for you. I've used it as a stump bucket, and it worked well for an old stump in loose soil. I thought that the grapple may get in the way a little, and it did, but not by much. The cylinder and grapple will come off, but I never saw the need to do so. If I recall correctly, the shipping on this was very fast. I also use it for moving wood. It works for that, too. It's a little hard to get under larger logs- you have to dig under to get enough of the log under the grapple, but it works. You have to engage the log in the middle. The grapple is not enough to cantilever the log very much.

OP
OP
B

brogan007

I have that exact one. It works reasonably well, and would probably work for you. I've used it as a stump bucket, and it worked well for an old stump in loose soil. I thought that the grapple may get in the way a little, and it did, but not by much. The cylinder and grapple will come off, but I never saw the need to do so. If I recall correctly, the shipping on this was very fast. I also use it for moving wood. It works for that, too. It's a little hard to get under larger logs- you have to dig under to get enough of the log under the grapple, but it works. You have to engage the log in the middle. The grapple is not enough to cantilever the log very much.
I bought one from a local place, new, for $600. It's not super heavy duty, and I figure I could break it if I wanted to...but for moving logs and light stumpwork/trenching...it's awesome.
Log%20on%20stump%20bucket.jpg

Yoda

I bought one from a local place, new, for $600. It's not super heavy duty, and I figure I could break it if I wanted to...but for moving logs and light stumpwork/trenching...it's awesome.
Brogen, is the one you bought the same as the one on ebay?

Yoda

lesgawlik, what did they charge you for shipping, where abouts do you live, thanks

OP
OP
B

brogan007

Yoda, I'm in Reisterstown, Maryland. I'll have to check the invoice, but as I recall it was reasonable.
This model was advertised on E-Bay, I bid and bought it via them. WildCat guys were awesome to deal with. I was really tempted to buy other equipment when I went to collect. So many great deals in inventory, the quality impressed me.

Yoda

This model was advertised on E-Bay, I bid and bought it via them. WildCat guys were awesome to deal with. I was really tempted to buy other equipment when I went to collect. So many great deals in inventory, the quality impressed me.
Thanks for the responses, I have been looking at that one on ebay, I'm trying to weigh my options, that one is at a good price, I'm trying to decide between it, and one almost identical but made of 1/2" material at about double the cost. I have allot of clay and rocks I'm a little worried I would bend up the lighter duty one but don't have the cash for the other one. I have a case 1845c, do you think I would be able to get enough traction to destroy the lighter one? or would I be ok if I use my head a little? Thanks

OP
OP
B

brogan007

Thanks for the responses, I have been looking at that one on ebay, I'm trying to weigh my options, that one is at a good price, I'm trying to decide between it, and one almost identical but made of 1/2" material at about double the cost. I have allot of clay and rocks I'm a little worried I would bend up the lighter duty one but don't have the cash for the other one. I have a case 1845c, do you think I would be able to get enough traction to destroy the lighter one? or would I be ok if I use my head a little? Thanks
I worried about the exact same thing. Would I just bend the bucket? No problem. It's much "squatter" than the other stump buckets I see on-line. Shorter nose, means less leverage. I don't expect to break it. The 1/2" steel one, is way longer. When I saw it, I didn't like it. The only thing I don't like about mine is the grapple teeth hit closed, a good 6" back from the tips of the 3 front teeth. When trying to pick up a single log...one needs to shove the bucket teeth under it. Often you end up pushing the log forward instead. If I had to do over....I'd buy it again in a flash.

Yoda

I worried about the exact same thing. Would I just bend the bucket? No problem. It's much "squatter" than the other stump buckets I see on-line. Shorter nose, means less leverage. I don't expect to break it. The 1/2" steel one, is way longer. When I saw it, I didn't like it. The only thing I don't like about mine is the grapple teeth hit closed, a good 6" back from the tips of the 3 front teeth. When trying to pick up a single log...one needs to shove the bucket teeth under it. Often you end up pushing the log forward instead. If I had to do over....I'd buy it again in a flash.
Thanks, that helps, I think I will go for the one you have.