Stump Bucket Question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tyus4

Just picked up a 1979 bobcat 632. 1 owner and has 850 hours and original paint. Newer tires and is mechanically strong. I am currently painting it. I have a few stumps I would like to remove that are about 12" diameter. Would the size of this machine and stump bucket work alright to remove these? There seems to be a few different style buckets and some with serrated edges. Is there a preferred style? Thanks http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk221/Tyus4/IMG_0206.jpg
IMG_0206.jpg

Tazza

Staff member
It depends on how high the stump is and what its from. Even the type of soil.
Others have used pallet forks slid together and used it to cut the roots and pop it out of the ground. Essentially what a root bucket does.
I find that if i cut the tree as high as possible so i have some leverage on the stump, it makes it a lot easier. I can poke around the base to loosen it up then grab the stump as high as possible with a 4 in 1 bucket and push and pull at it to get it out.
The machine looks to be in pretty good shape!

OP
OP
T

tyus4

It depends on how high the stump is and what its from. Even the type of soil.
Others have used pallet forks slid together and used it to cut the roots and pop it out of the ground. Essentially what a root bucket does.
I find that if i cut the tree as high as possible so i have some leverage on the stump, it makes it a lot easier. I can poke around the base to loosen it up then grab the stump as high as possible with a 4 in 1 bucket and push and pull at it to get it out.
The machine looks to be in pretty good shape!
Has anyone ordered one online before with out paying huge shipping costs???? If so, where did you order from? I can't seem to find a local place that carries them.

UA_HoBo

Has anyone ordered one online before with out paying huge shipping costs???? If so, where did you order from? I can't seem to find a local place that carries them.
I have made and sold a bunch of them Look around for a fab shop or pipe/ mechanical shop and see if there is a chunk of 24" sched 40 pipe cut it on a 45' angle and now you have 2 tree spades plus metel for gussets. Get a quick attach plate from ebay and weld away keep 1 and sell 1 to make your money back plus some

I have made and sold a bunch of them Look around for a fab shop or pipe/ mechanical shop and see if there is a chunk of 24" sched 40 pipe cut it on a 45' angle and now you have 2 tree spades plus metel for gussets. Get a quick attach plate from ebay and weld away keep 1 and sell 1 to make your money back plus some
Call me and we may have a dealer near you.. 866-859-4333.. Thanks Michael..

OP
OP
T

tyus4

Call me and we may have a dealer near you.. 866-859-4333.. Thanks Michael..
I'm finally going to purchase a stump bucket with grapple. I've never used the hydraulics on my machine before. So I don't know if they work. I know you move the right lever right and left to use the hydraulics. Basically wondering if they dont' work, is it expensive fix? I just don't want to buy this bucket and not have them work.

ancomcabs

I'm finally going to purchase a stump bucket with grapple. I've never used the hydraulics on my machine before. So I don't know if they work. I know you move the right lever right and left to use the hydraulics. Basically wondering if they dont' work, is it expensive fix? I just don't want to buy this bucket and not have them work.
When I got my 630 the bar that connects the right control to the aux hydraulics was not connected, not sure if it ever was but all I did was bolt it to the lever and the aux hydraulics worked fine. You should be able to pull the access plate right in front of the seat and tell for sure
I wish mine looked that nice

OP
OP
T

tyus4

When I got my 630 the bar that connects the right control to the aux hydraulics was not connected, not sure if it ever was but all I did was bolt it to the lever and the aux hydraulics worked fine. You should be able to pull the access plate right in front of the seat and tell for sure
I wish mine looked that nice
So I picked up a stump bucket with grapple today and I can not get the fittings to fit. The fittings on my machine say 7/8 14 ...while the fittings on the bucket say Stucci-M-Firg 12A Npt -G11 and 12AD Npt - F-11 ...Do I need to get new fittings or am I just connecting them wrong? If its new fittings I was thinking the bucket would probably be easier to change than the machine because there is probably no type of check valve and fluid would go everywhere. If its fittings where do you guys order from? I really wanted to play with this thing today but I guess its on hold. Thanks

skidsteer.ca

So I picked up a stump bucket with grapple today and I can not get the fittings to fit. The fittings on my machine say 7/8 14 ...while the fittings on the bucket say Stucci-M-Firg 12A Npt -G11 and 12AD Npt - F-11 ...Do I need to get new fittings or am I just connecting them wrong? If its new fittings I was thinking the bucket would probably be easier to change than the machine because there is probably no type of check valve and fluid would go everywhere. If its fittings where do you guys order from? I really wanted to play with this thing today but I guess its on hold. Thanks
That 632 would have come with pioneer couplers, where as must new attachments are shipped with flat faced aka "|faster" couplers.
The pioneers should be available at most places that make hydraulic hoses.4
Ken

OP
OP
T

tyus4

That 632 would have come with pioneer couplers, where as must new attachments are shipped with flat faced aka "|faster" couplers.
The pioneers should be available at most places that make hydraulic hoses.4
Ken
If I was to replace the fittings on the machine with flat faced ones, fluid would go everywhere right? Also, what do you reccomend for fluid for this machine? THanks

OP
OP
T

tyus4

If I was to replace the fittings on the machine with flat faced ones, fluid would go everywhere right? Also, what do you reccomend for fluid for this machine? THanks
Also, is Safeway/Pioneer Interchange Coupler the right thing im looking for? So then I just have to figure out the npt size?

ancomcabs

Also, is Safeway/Pioneer Interchange Coupler the right thing im looking for? So then I just have to figure out the npt size?
If you don't want to change them over I know I've seen somewhere that there are adapter fittings, Old style to new flat faced, maybe from skid steer solutions?
The new flat faced are nice though, maybe draw down the fluid as much as possible with a hand pump from the tank then change them and be quick?

OP
OP
T

tyus4

If you don't want to change them over I know I've seen somewhere that there are adapter fittings, Old style to new flat faced, maybe from skid steer solutions?
The new flat faced are nice though, maybe draw down the fluid as much as possible with a hand pump from the tank then change them and be quick?
I just went to the local tractor supply co. and they had the pioneer ones so I just put them on the bucket. Going to try it now. Hope it all works

OP
OP
T

tyus4

I just went to the local tractor supply co. and they had the pioneer ones so I just put them on the bucket. Going to try it now. Hope it all works
Well I came to realize that my machine is just too small and too old for the stumps I have. I got about a 6 inch stump out then tried the next size up that I had and work at it for over 2 hours with no luck. The rest of the stumps are bigger so its for sale already.