Questions RE: 3 point implements on Skid Steers and 3 point adapters for skid steers

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

redcheetah

I have a Case 1835 Skid steer (posted in this forum for more views) and I would like to get a 3 point hitch adapter for it so that I can use some of the implements that I have such as the box blade and the areana drag. However, it appears that the adapters require the skid operator to drive backwards which I guess will work OK in my case but I found odd. Does anyone here use a 3 point adapter with their skid and what are their results? What brand adapeter are you using? Thanks I am looking at this one: http://www.skidsteerexpress.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=ATTA3POINTADAPTER3

OhSarg

I bought this one and it is heavy duty and works great. I thought for the price it would be cheap, but it is built very well.

RodNH

I have a Bobcat 3pt hitch adapter that I use on my S650. The first thing I used it for was to attach my 3pt logsplitter:
bobcatsplit.jpg

The splitter works much better with the higher flow and higher pressure on the Bobcat, relative to what I was used to on my Oliver tractor.
The next use of the adapter was for my 3pt York rake. I simply flipped the rake section around on the 3pt framework and relocated the trailing wheels to be leading wheels. That allowed me to go forward with the skid, rather than backing up:
yorkrake.jpg

With this arrangement, visibility is great and you are always watching the rake tines, making any in-process adjustments quick and easy. I use a chain toplink that permits the rake to float on the lift pins.
I have also recently modified my Bobcat SB200 snowblower to mate up with the 3pt adapter, thereby permitting the blower to float on the lift pins and (hopefully) function better on a gravel road. For details, see my webpage here:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~thompson_wp/snowblower/snowblower.htm

Tazza

Staff member
I have a Bobcat 3pt hitch adapter that I use on my S650. The first thing I used it for was to attach my 3pt logsplitter:

The splitter works much better with the higher flow and higher pressure on the Bobcat, relative to what I was used to on my Oliver tractor.
The next use of the adapter was for my 3pt York rake. I simply flipped the rake section around on the 3pt framework and relocated the trailing wheels to be leading wheels. That allowed me to go forward with the skid, rather than backing up:

With this arrangement, visibility is great and you are always watching the rake tines, making any in-process adjustments quick and easy. I use a chain toplink that permits the rake to float on the lift pins.
I have also recently modified my Bobcat SB200 snowblower to mate up with the 3pt adapter, thereby permitting the blower to float on the lift pins and (hopefully) function better on a gravel road. For details, see my webpage here:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~thompson_wp/snowblower/snowblower.htm
Very nice setup!
What is the cycle time like on the splitter with the hi flow? and what size cylinder is it? looks pretty hefty to me, 4"?

OP
OP
R

redcheetah

Very nice setup!
What is the cycle time like on the splitter with the hi flow? and what size cylinder is it? looks pretty hefty to me, 4"?
that is a nice setup! I had intended to take a similar path and get all of my implements somehow set up to work with my skid but unfortunately the 3 point unit I posted probably will not fit my skid as I have a 1981 Case 1835 without the universal attachment. I have been looking around to see if there are adapters but they all seem to be excessively expensive $700+. Does anyone know of any more moderately priced adapters? Thanks

RodNH

Very nice setup!
Tazza,
The cylinder OD is about 5.5 inches so the ID should be around 4.5 inches or a little greater. It came off an old garbage truck some 30 years ago so I don't have the exact specs. I have never actually measured the cycle time but it is faster than on my tractor. I would guess the extend time is around 5 sec the way I use it. I don't normally use the high flow as the low flow seems to work just fine and I'm quite satisfied at that speed. I also only idle the skid, which is 1340 rpm, about half the WOT speed. That should equate to somewhere around 12 gpm in low flow. High flow for my S650 is around 15 gpm at idle speed (30 gpm at WOT).

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza,
The cylinder OD is about 5.5 inches so the ID should be around 4.5 inches or a little greater. It came off an old garbage truck some 30 years ago so I don't have the exact specs. I have never actually measured the cycle time but it is faster than on my tractor. I would guess the extend time is around 5 sec the way I use it. I don't normally use the high flow as the low flow seems to work just fine and I'm quite satisfied at that speed. I also only idle the skid, which is 1340 rpm, about half the WOT speed. That should equate to somewhere around 12 gpm in low flow. High flow for my S650 is around 15 gpm at idle speed (30 gpm at WOT).
Very nice. Even better when the parts are recycled, a cylinder that size would cost a bunch new.