PLANS TO BUILD YOUR OWN ATTACHMENTS

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jelepich

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone out there had some ideas or plans for building different skidsteer attachments-- whether they've been built before or not. Or maybe just ideas for improvement on current designs. Just picking brains and looking for input. Thanks!

Tazza

Staff member
Depends on what sort of attachments you are looking for.
People have made grapple buckets, log splitters, even their own backhoe attachments, pallet forks.
The only attachment i have made were a set of pallet forks from an old forklift carriage.
I have used the aux hydraulic couplers to power hydraulic gear before though. I made a gas booster pump that was powered by my S150.

mmsllc

Depends on what sort of attachments you are looking for.
People have made grapple buckets, log splitters, even their own backhoe attachments, pallet forks.
The only attachment i have made were a set of pallet forks from an old forklift carriage.
I have used the aux hydraulic couplers to power hydraulic gear before though. I made a gas booster pump that was powered by my S150.
I've got a somewhat unique idea. I would like to build a universal rotating attachment that would attach to my machine's BOB-TACH & to another attachment, so I could easily flip it over or position it in a way that is far more comfortable to me. This attachment would then enable me to grab a bucket (for instance) & then rotate it over kind of like an engine on a stand rotates so you can work on the bottom of the engine while standing up. Then you could also have the machine lift & tilt into any position for even more accessibility. I think it would be very ideal for the mechanic & maintenance type shop. What do you think about that??

Tazza

Staff member
I've got a somewhat unique idea. I would like to build a universal rotating attachment that would attach to my machine's BOB-TACH & to another attachment, so I could easily flip it over or position it in a way that is far more comfortable to me. This attachment would then enable me to grab a bucket (for instance) & then rotate it over kind of like an engine on a stand rotates so you can work on the bottom of the engine while standing up. Then you could also have the machine lift & tilt into any position for even more accessibility. I think it would be very ideal for the mechanic & maintenance type shop. What do you think about that??
They have something close to that, called a tilt tach.
The only issue I see in using it as a stand style thing is you need a way to support the arms, you don't want it to fall. Just need to iron out all the safety things.
It's handy to be able to rotate things to weld them, especially when it's too heavy to roll by hand.

Hotrod1830

They have something close to that, called a tilt tach.
The only issue I see in using it as a stand style thing is you need a way to support the arms, you don't want it to fall. Just need to iron out all the safety things.
It's handy to be able to rotate things to weld them, especially when it's too heavy to roll by hand.
Most things I build are just brain childs. I dont use plans or blueprints. If I get an idea of something I want, I start researching it. I try and find as many pictures as possible. After I have an idea of the size and shape, I just start making cardboard templates until I am happy with it and start cutting and burning. Fabrication is one of the few things that I find relaxing, and use it to pass the time. Strange how one could wrestle a 100lb+ sheet of steel and feel relaxed huh?

machine addict

Ive built a boom mower and a direct drive rotary style brush cutter. Start with graph paper and measure twice before welding.

Tazza

Staff member
Ive built a boom mower and a direct drive rotary style brush cutter. Start with graph paper and measure twice before welding.
I know what you mean, I find it relaxing too when I build or repair something.
A few years back I build a gas transfer pump. Essentially used to move inert welding gas from one cylinder to another. I was into it for a few hundred $ and had no idea if it would actually work. Everything I understood said yes it would, but you never know till it is complete.
After it was done, it did fail due to not using strong enough steel to prevent it flexing, two pieces of angle iron fixed that.

SkidRoe

Most of my attachment builds are due to financial limitations i.e. I can build it cheaper than I can buy it!!
That said, there are few that I expect to be improvements on what can be bought. If they work - Good!! If they work well - Great!!
Also, because of the limited size of my 4XX series machine, and it's limited capabilities, finding factory built attachments that are a direct fit and appropriately sized is difficult.
The plus side is I get some "Fabrication Therapy" out of it as well. :-D
As far as plans go, on some of my more complicated builds, especially ones where cylinder geometry needs to be correct, I do generally do some limited CAD layouts, and sometimes burn files for my buddy's laser cutter. I would hardly call them comprehensive plans that anyone could follow.
FWIW - SR