New to the Forum

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

waggles

Just a quick message to introduce myself. Adam Troy is my name from NSW Australia, Ive been in business 20years with a 743 that I have had from new. I have just purchased a brand new 2009 S130 as the 743 needs new drive motors. I cant complain its been a great machine, its had 3 engines and 2 buckets in 20 years . 20000hrs on this machine and still has the original U joints! It does have a V2203 Kubota in it now. I am very impressed with the new S130, its the result of years of feedback from operators world wide. Im excited about working it!

Tazza

Staff member
Welcome to the forum!
Thats a pretty good deal on the 743, those hours are incredible. Your pump may do with a polish up too, not just the motors. They seem to do pretty well i must admit.
Glad you like the S130, some of the new features sure are nice

OP
OP
W

waggles

Welcome to the forum!
Thats a pretty good deal on the 743, those hours are incredible. Your pump may do with a polish up too, not just the motors. They seem to do pretty well i must admit.
Glad you like the S130, some of the new features sure are nice
Yes Im very happy with the 743 over the years. Putting the V2203 kubota in it really made a big difference in the drive power, but it may have worn out the drive motors a bit quicker. It still goes okay but when it warms up when pushing into a pile of dirt I feel pressure against the levers and if you try to turn too fast the levers resist. My local Hydraulic tech says its typical of worn gerotas motors. I will explore repairing them but its time for a new machine for the work I do.

Tazza

Staff member
Yes Im very happy with the 743 over the years. Putting the V2203 kubota in it really made a big difference in the drive power, but it may have worn out the drive motors a bit quicker. It still goes okay but when it warms up when pushing into a pile of dirt I feel pressure against the levers and if you try to turn too fast the levers resist. My local Hydraulic tech says its typical of worn gerotas motors. I will explore repairing them but its time for a new machine for the work I do.
Honestly..... I'd suspect worn valve plates in the pump and not the gerolers. The gerolers are pretty tough, if you don't get any crud in the system they hold up pretty well. I have only ever had one that was damaged due to water before i got it. Pumps however, seem to wear faster.
With the hours you have on the machine, i honestly think you should start with the pump. You can buy new wear/valve plates pretty cheap or if you have patience, get a sheet of glass and wet and dry sand paper and remove the scores.

OP
OP
W

waggles

Honestly..... I'd suspect worn valve plates in the pump and not the gerolers. The gerolers are pretty tough, if you don't get any crud in the system they hold up pretty well. I have only ever had one that was damaged due to water before i got it. Pumps however, seem to wear faster.
With the hours you have on the machine, i honestly think you should start with the pump. You can buy new wear/valve plates pretty cheap or if you have patience, get a sheet of glass and wet and dry sand paper and remove the scores.
You have just confirmed what some else told me about the wear plates! A bobcat service manager told me pressure aginst the levers means the pump has wear and lack of drive means the drive motors need attention. Do you know how much the wear plates are? Now I have the new S130 I can cleanup the 743 and do some reconditioning on it. Thanks Adam

Tazza

Staff member
You have just confirmed what some else told me about the wear plates! A bobcat service manager told me pressure aginst the levers means the pump has wear and lack of drive means the drive motors need attention. Do you know how much the wear plates are? Now I have the new S130 I can cleanup the 743 and do some reconditioning on it. Thanks Adam
LPS have them for around the $100 mark each, you will need one left and one right, they have cuts and need to go in the correct side. You can flatten them with glass and sand paper if you have a few hours on your hands.
I'll email you a few details.