Metal costs....WOW!!!!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

perry

Priced a 4x8x3/8 yesterday...$276.59. I'm heading for the salvage yard.

skidsteer.ca

Yes steel is really up.
But that don't sound to bad compared to here
I picked up a 4 by 8 of expanded mesh (about 1/8 thick, they take a 1' by 8' strip and stretch it to be 4' wide by making a screen out of it) and it was $3.90 a sq ft or $124.80
Which if I'm figuring it right should weigh about 1/12 of a sheet of 3/8"
I need to call around and check some other suppliers, but it is getting hard to build things.
Ken

Cam2

Yes steel is really up.
But that don't sound to bad compared to here
I picked up a 4 by 8 of expanded mesh (about 1/8 thick, they take a 1' by 8' strip and stretch it to be 4' wide by making a screen out of it) and it was $3.90 a sq ft or $124.80
Which if I'm figuring it right should weigh about 1/12 of a sheet of 3/8"
I need to call around and check some other suppliers, but it is getting hard to build things.
Ken
Here in Baltimore, unprepared #2 steel is .06 cents per pound scrap.

triad

It's crazy...China is buying all the scrap they can get and running our prices up for steel. A lot of scrap yards are more reluctant to let people "shop" in their yards any more due to insurance company's rules. I always have my eyes open for any type of metal either to sell or use, from bed rails to large street signs on the ground. Either way if you can build it yourself it's got to be cheaper (and more fun) than buying from a company. Steve

OP
OP
P

perry

It's crazy...China is buying all the scrap they can get and running our prices up for steel. A lot of scrap yards are more reluctant to let people "shop" in their yards any more due to insurance company's rules. I always have my eyes open for any type of metal either to sell or use, from bed rails to large street signs on the ground. Either way if you can build it yourself it's got to be cheaper (and more fun) than buying from a company. Steve
Triad, you are correct, I established a freindly relationship with the foreman at a local scrap yard, he gave me his cell phone # and told me to call him about every other week for items I was looking for. Guess that will costs me a 12 pack but more than worth the price.

triad

Triad, you are correct, I established a freindly relationship with the foreman at a local scrap yard, he gave me his cell phone # and told me to call him about every other week for items I was looking for. Guess that will costs me a 12 pack but more than worth the price.
Thats the only way to get any kind of deal. If I have a few appliances I will give it to them and thats really paid off. I got a 4x6 heavy welding table for free from the early AM manager and talked the VP into selling me a 8X9 truck bed for a little more than what they would have got. I love going there early in the morning.

triad

Thats the only way to get any kind of deal. If I have a few appliances I will give it to them and thats really paid off. I got a 4x6 heavy welding table for free from the early AM manager and talked the VP into selling me a 8X9 truck bed for a little more than what they would have got. I love going there early in the morning.
CAM have you ever dealt with EDI in White Marsh? I would like to look at a used stump grinder they have but I think money is a little too tight at the present time.

pelpel

Funny you should mention the 12 pack. Some years ago I had to get some welding done, about an hours worth. I made sure to go on a hot summer friday afternoon. It cost me $20 (no invoice), I went and got a 12 pack of brew as a thanks for the quick service. Just shows that a little "extra thank you" goes a long way and keeps the door open in the future.

farmboy55

Funny you should mention the 12 pack. Some years ago I had to get some welding done, about an hours worth. I made sure to go on a hot summer friday afternoon. It cost me $20 (no invoice), I went and got a 12 pack of brew as a thanks for the quick service. Just shows that a little "extra thank you" goes a long way and keeps the door open in the future.
I'm building a grapple bucket myself, so far I've only had to purchase the cutting edge. I expect to have around $500. in it. I'm getting my grapples cut out at a machine shop, email them the spec's we made with a cad program. So they should look pretty good. I'll post some pics when it is done & tested. need it now just had a tornado go thru here tue. night. Really did some damage.

Cam2

I'm building a grapple bucket myself, so far I've only had to purchase the cutting edge. I expect to have around $500. in it. I'm getting my grapples cut out at a machine shop, email them the spec's we made with a cad program. So they should look pretty good. I'll post some pics when it is done & tested. need it now just had a tornado go thru here tue. night. Really did some damage.
Triad, Yes.....I have dealt with them alot. The owner, Bill, used to work for Bobcat of Baltimore.......left and started his own company. I haven't done nothing more than rent a few attachments from them but Bill was nice to deal with. We looked at some skidsteers there before I bought mine and he was way too pricey. He was willing to work with us, but even then....his prices for used bobcats were crazy. Providing him and I can come to agreements on prices, I'd do business with him. He'd be the first place I'd go to if I were looking to purchase an attachment. Hope that helps, Chris

tsanders

Triad, Yes.....I have dealt with them alot. The owner, Bill, used to work for Bobcat of Baltimore.......left and started his own company. I haven't done nothing more than rent a few attachments from them but Bill was nice to deal with. We looked at some skidsteers there before I bought mine and he was way too pricey. He was willing to work with us, but even then....his prices for used bobcats were crazy. Providing him and I can come to agreements on prices, I'd do business with him. He'd be the first place I'd go to if I were looking to purchase an attachment. Hope that helps, Chris
it is a shame that we let china get all our scrap and run the price up on us like they do. i was reading an article on thier steel and it is a lot like thier other products not meeting standards like it should. we will probably have to eat it like we did the tires they sent over and would not stand behind.

Tazza

Staff member
it is a shame that we let china get all our scrap and run the price up on us like they do. i was reading an article on thier steel and it is a lot like thier other products not meeting standards like it should. we will probably have to eat it like we did the tires they sent over and would not stand behind.
The scary thing is some things that get made in china are actually better than what we make over here. I remember someone telling me about bolts. They were cheaper in china so naturally they started importing them, the quality was actually better than what could be made locally, not sure how that worked but that was the story!
I hear you on the steel, we export heaps of iron ore to china for processing, we also send scrap steel for the same job. Its cheaper to package it up, ship to China, get them to process it and ship it back than we can do it locally! like whats going on???? The standard of the steel from this is no where near what we can produce our selves but its cheap so who gets the job? you guessed it, China!
Its great to keep prices down, but there has to be a point where quality verses price just isn't good enough.
*end rant*

sandhills-elect

The scary thing is some things that get made in china are actually better than what we make over here. I remember someone telling me about bolts. They were cheaper in china so naturally they started importing them, the quality was actually better than what could be made locally, not sure how that worked but that was the story!
I hear you on the steel, we export heaps of iron ore to china for processing, we also send scrap steel for the same job. Its cheaper to package it up, ship to China, get them to process it and ship it back than we can do it locally! like whats going on???? The standard of the steel from this is no where near what we can produce our selves but its cheap so who gets the job? you guessed it, China!
Its great to keep prices down, but there has to be a point where quality verses price just isn't good enough.
*end rant*
I bet China does not have the emission laws that we have. I don't think we do the majority of polluteing of the earth. I heard a guy say that they buy our wood take out on a barg to internal water and wait for the price to go up and ship it back to us and we just turn our head and let it happen. I think it is all political ball game. Time to end my rant too. See ya, round Brent.

Cam2

I bet China does not have the emission laws that we have. I don't think we do the majority of polluteing of the earth. I heard a guy say that they buy our wood take out on a barg to internal water and wait for the price to go up and ship it back to us and we just turn our head and let it happen. I think it is all political ball game. Time to end my rant too. See ya, round Brent.
....That's funny, about the wood. Here in Maryland, off the coast of Ocean City, we trap lobsters, ship them to maine and than buy them back as Maine Lobsters!!! lol .....as far as metal to china, I guess (to me) it's better to see it recycled than rusting in a landfill.

Tazza

Staff member
....That's funny, about the wood. Here in Maryland, off the coast of Ocean City, we trap lobsters, ship them to maine and than buy them back as Maine Lobsters!!! lol .....as far as metal to china, I guess (to me) it's better to see it recycled than rusting in a landfill.
Thats the thing, we have always recycled our steel, but its cheaper off shore so it goes to china. I know a scrappie that exports masses of non ferrous scrap metal to china for processing. We aren't talking a little here, we are talking thousands of tonnes a year.

Cam2

Thats the thing, we have always recycled our steel, but its cheaper off shore so it goes to china. I know a scrappie that exports masses of non ferrous scrap metal to china for processing. We aren't talking a little here, we are talking thousands of tonnes a year.
I love scraping!!!

tsanders

I hate going to his yard, i look around and go ooh i could use that, ooh and that! There was a day i came home with more steel than i went there to get rid of!
tazza china is doing just like japan. ican remember when japan products were junk but due to our support we have allowed them to get wealthy and in turn buy technoliny fron us in order to have us buy from them. can you remenber when makiata was junk and you bought them from the flea markets. most of the technology they had was bought from companys in the US because they are interested in profit and not us. as long as we support china they will continue to rise above the rest untill we are no longer able to survive without them.we would probably be amazed at what all they own in the US today.

triad

tazza china is doing just like japan. ican remember when japan products were junk but due to our support we have allowed them to get wealthy and in turn buy technoliny fron us in order to have us buy from them. can you remenber when makiata was junk and you bought them from the flea markets. most of the technology they had was bought from companys in the US because they are interested in profit and not us. as long as we support china they will continue to rise above the rest untill we are no longer able to survive without them.we would probably be amazed at what all they own in the US today.
This is why I try not to buy from Walmart. They are (if I remember correctly) the 7th largest importer of goods from China with the US being first. Before my time but didn't Japan buy a lot of our scrap metal and send it back to us at Pearl Harbour? Sorry for straying from what this site is about but it's something to think about.