MD70 rusty tank ?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Jeffscarstrucks

I finally got my old dog on the ground after I worked over the undercarriage and the fuel filter plugged up with rust (short version of the story). This machine has led a rough life before being left outside to die. The tank would be a simple deal if it was an old truck but on this you have to remove the engine plus all that is attatched to get the tank out. I am trying to figure out a solution that will work. i can get to part of the tank through the gauge sending unit but I don't think that will be enough. I am thinking about a large filter between the tank and lift or pre-pump to catch the rust before it hits the factory filter or a large filer between the lift pump an the factory filter. Any ideas or am I on the right track....Thanks, JEFF

Tazza

Staff member
Can you use a CAV style filter? the ones with a glass bowl.
They are cheap as and you can see how much rust you have collected in the bowl to know when a change is due.
Would thst be an option?

skidsteer.ca

Can you use a CAV style filter? the ones with a glass bowl.
They are cheap as and you can see how much rust you have collected in the bowl to know when a change is due.
Would thst be an option?
This is common on the old tractor forums ( www.yesterdaystractors.com www.tractorbynet.com ) There is a product made to line the inside of the tank with plastic to seal in the rust, I'm sure you could find more about it there, though apply it involve rolling the tank around to coat it evenly.
Failing this the big filter idea will work, maybe with a vacum guage inline to monitor the restriction b4 your dead in the mud.
ken

OP
OP
Jeffscarstrucks

Jeffscarstrucks

This is common on the old tractor forums ( www.yesterdaystractors.com www.tractorbynet.com ) There is a product made to line the inside of the tank with plastic to seal in the rust, I'm sure you could find more about it there, though apply it involve rolling the tank around to coat it evenly.
Failing this the big filter idea will work, maybe with a vacum guage inline to monitor the restriction b4 your dead in the mud.
ken
Thanks guys. Taz, I am not sure that i know what a CAV filter is but I have looked into a sediment bowl type but I don't think it will handle the volume of rust that I am afraid I have. Ken, I have not had a chance to check those sites...or this one lately, but I will. I would like to be able to remove the tank and recoat it but I don't have the time for another big project right now. I was really thinking that I almost had this thing up and running! My brother came up with a really trick stainless spin-on filter adapter at a swap meet today for 5 bucks but it uses a small filter. I also have an old adapter for a fuel dispenser filter (2 qt) so I am going to rig that up for a while and then fab a nice factory looking bracket for the nice one after most of the rust is gone (I hope). It is always an adventure with the old stuff. I am working on my uncles '50 212 Cat grader and it is wearing me out for now. I keep telling myself that I really like this old stuff but if I had to earn a living with it I would be pretty hungry. I can appreciate the guys who do and the ones also who earn a living working on this stuff! Thanks for the help, JEFF

OP
OP
Jeffscarstrucks

Jeffscarstrucks

Thanks guys. Taz, I am not sure that i know what a CAV filter is but I have looked into a sediment bowl type but I don't think it will handle the volume of rust that I am afraid I have. Ken, I have not had a chance to check those sites...or this one lately, but I will. I would like to be able to remove the tank and recoat it but I don't have the time for another big project right now. I was really thinking that I almost had this thing up and running! My brother came up with a really trick stainless spin-on filter adapter at a swap meet today for 5 bucks but it uses a small filter. I also have an old adapter for a fuel dispenser filter (2 qt) so I am going to rig that up for a while and then fab a nice factory looking bracket for the nice one after most of the rust is gone (I hope). It is always an adventure with the old stuff. I am working on my uncles '50 212 Cat grader and it is wearing me out for now. I keep telling myself that I really like this old stuff but if I had to earn a living with it I would be pretty hungry. I can appreciate the guys who do and the ones also who earn a living working on this stuff! Thanks for the help, JEFF
Well I finally got the machine over to the house with my rigged-up pre-filter. I tried to put it to the test by digging a full scoop out of a pile of dirt while going into it hard enough to try to stall the tracks. It did fine and spun the tracks while I lifted the bucket enough to maintain forward motion and fill the bucket...I was happy. I figured that this is a real world test since I have not run one of these before to have an idea of what to compare it to. Of course this went on for an hour while my son and I had a little fun and also moved some lumber and supplies with the forks. I still have some work to do but it is nice to see some light at the end of the tunnel.I was going to post a pic or two but I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks for all of your help and info, JEFF P.S. I try to catch this forum, Millerwelds, and the ACMOC (Antique cat machine owners club) about every day.