Just got a 4 in 1 bucket, any tips?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mr_C

I have a bobcat 825 and use it for work around my farm. I am currently working on dike project so I am doing a lot of dirt work. I was having some difficulty because my dirt bucket is 6" narrower than my skidsteer... leveling was difficult to say the least. I was looking for a land plane, or considering building one (I still am), but ran across a used 72" WR Long 4 in 1 bucket in good shape locally. I picked it up yesterday and got it hooked up and ready to go (had to put a new end on the hydros to make it fit). I will get to start using it tonight. Here are some of the uses I think I can use it for. - leveling while open using it as a box drag and pulling backwards. - picking up last bit of dirt hauled in that is hard to scoop off driveway - opening and using to pull dirt back from the foundation (I am doing some digging and don't want to dig pushing dirt up to foundation, may give in and use backhoe if this doesn't work). - using to grab and pull up small shrubs/brush and remove fense posts. This is the most expensive attachment I have bought to date, but I am hoping it will be the most versitile. It will be hard to beat my pallet forks, which I wasn't sure if I really needed, and now seem to use for everything. Honestly, I would have considered the bucket except for seeing a few people here commenting on how much they use thiers. Any advise?

Tazza

Staff member
I live in Australia, no machine is sold with a GP bucket over here, they are all 4 in 1.
I don't have any real tips except for the fact they are so handy! you can grab things, pick up every last bit of dirt, pull stumps etc.
You can open it slightly and tilt forward to limit how much you are cutting, but this is only good in soft dirt, hard packed, it will simply jump over it. The rest is essentially the same, have a good bucket load of dirt to help with down pressure when cutting. Just practice and you'll get the hang of what it can and can't do.

TriHonu

I live in Australia, no machine is sold with a GP bucket over here, they are all 4 in 1.
I don't have any real tips except for the fact they are so handy! you can grab things, pick up every last bit of dirt, pull stumps etc.
You can open it slightly and tilt forward to limit how much you are cutting, but this is only good in soft dirt, hard packed, it will simply jump over it. The rest is essentially the same, have a good bucket load of dirt to help with down pressure when cutting. Just practice and you'll get the hang of what it can and can't do.
Here are a few more uses. They are a great tool. What you give up in capacity due to the weight of the bucket is made up by their versatility. I have two 4in1 buckets, one with teeth and one smooth edge.
4in1Applications.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mr_C

Here are a few more uses. They are a great tool. What you give up in capacity due to the weight of the bucket is made up by their versatility. I have two 4in1 buckets, one with teeth and one smooth edge.
Thats a great pic of the different uses, I haven't seen that one before. So far it has worked pretty well for me. The first time I tried using it I had to switch back to my other bucket because I was trying to dig the top foot of topsoil off, and it was sod that had been hard packed from my driving over it a lot hauling clay. It was just too packed to get through with the wider bucket. I put on my old bucket (1 1/2 feet narrower) and was able to dig through it. Since then, I have been using the 4 in 1 exclusively. Besides the obvious advantages of being wider than my skidsteer when digging and spreading, I have also found the back dragging and scraping to be quite useful, allowing me to scrap a small amount of hardpacked clay off the top, where I couldn't do it with the tip of the bucket because it would either dig too deap or slide on top. The clam for picking up the last bits of a pile works well also. I am using an old 825, so my aux control is actually a third pedal between the 2 primary pedals. I have started getting used to moving my feet back and forth.

Latest posts