How long it take you to become proficient at Skid Steer'n

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

matchless

Thought about starting up a Bobcat-SkidSteer business in addition to my current occupation. I have several days a week I can provide services. Curious how long it took for you to become capable to get comfortable to operate a skid steer. I'm worried about getting set up to be a independent only to discover nobody will hire me because I'm green. And then getting no work means you don't get experience. Thanks

antfarmer2

I can pick up a penny with a fork truck but still suck on a bobcat after owning one for a year

SkidRoe

Here are my thoughts, for what they are worth:
Like anything, practice makes perfect. The more you use it, the better that you will get.
I learned how to use a skidsteer out of necessity - we bought one for the farm for cleaning out box stalls, and I was sick of using a manure fork. It took a good week of regular practice to get decent with using the bucket and not having to think about what control did what to get the desired results. This was an old Bobcat M371, which had limited capabilities and we were pushing it to it's limits, which took the learning of some techniques, i.e. wiggling the bucket into the material to make up for the lack of pushing power, etc. It was also a clutch machine which is a whole different driving experience compared to hydrostatic machines, but I digress... That was 30 years ago. I do consider myself a pretty profficient operator, but I still do have the occasional "Ooops!!" moment. Just remember that there are two kinds of operators - ones that have rolled over their machines (like me) and ones that haven't yet - LOL!!
Once you have mastered the operation of the machine, then you have to learn the in's and outs's of any attachments that you may want to use with it. Each one of those has it's one specific learning curve, but in my opinion, mastering the operation of the base machine is the toughest hurdle.
Do you have some space available to you and some time? Practice digging a hole and them moving the spoil pile around. Give yourself some room to start and then place some non-cherished obstacles in your way to maneuver around.
One other thing that I have noticed over the years: If you want to get really smooth at operating a skidsteer, learn on a small machine, like my 440b. Due to their short wheelbase and their narrow wheel track, the small machines tend to bounce and skip around alot more than the larger machines, so if you can get smooth on a small one, big machines, like our 773 are a piece of cake. The bonus is it gets you comfortable with operating the machine with less than all 4 wheels on the ground - LOL!! Also, since the small machines have less pushing power, with use you get better at finessing the power that you do have (wiggling the bucket, lifting the boom a bit at exactly the right time, etc.) to make the best use of what you do have rather than using brute force. These skills also translate, and will make your operation of a larger machine that much more efficient.
Hope this helps and Good luck with your endevour!! - SR