Hard Start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mpekar

I have a GEHL 5625sx w/ 4 cylinder 56hp diesel. The engines runs great but takes several moments to start at the beginning of the day. After the initial start it turns right over every time with no problems throughout the day after that. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Tazza

Staff member
Sounds like you may have low compression or bad glow plugs. I'd suspect the glow plugs as it runs great when warmer later in the day.

OP
OP
M

mpekar

Sounds like you may have low compression or bad glow plugs. I'd suspect the glow plugs as it runs great when warmer later in the day.
Well Tazza, you were right, it was the glow plugs. I found several of the plugs were bad/broken/burnt. I only had one good plug (and that was questionable...) After some trial and error I wired a bypass for the glow plug module. I just finished today and it turns over immediately after sitting for the past two weeks. I found the control module was bad and powered the plugs all the time causing premature failure so I think I solved my start problem for good. BTW, don't buy glow plugs that are "genuine Perkins" they cost about 5 to 6 times the price of the same plug at NAPA. Thanks for the advice, Mark

Tazza

Staff member
Well Tazza, you were right, it was the glow plugs. I found several of the plugs were bad/broken/burnt. I only had one good plug (and that was questionable...) After some trial and error I wired a bypass for the glow plug module. I just finished today and it turns over immediately after sitting for the past two weeks. I found the control module was bad and powered the plugs all the time causing premature failure so I think I solved my start problem for good. BTW, don't buy glow plugs that are "genuine Perkins" they cost about 5 to 6 times the price of the same plug at NAPA. Thanks for the advice, Mark
Glad it was a simple fix!
I totally agree on genuine plugs, i think my kubota ones cost about $7 each, my local dealer wasn't even close to that.