Gehl HL4400 Rear Drive Pump Front Seal Question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

MrBiggles

Hello, I have a Gehl HL4400 from the 70's and I put a new shaft in the rear pump. I took pictures of everything as I took the pump apart. I also bought a service manual but the part I have a question on isn't in it lol. When I watched YouTube videos and looked at other pump pictures online the front seal on those pumps is held in place with a round retainer ring (with 2 holes at the ends). My pump doesn't have a retainer ring and the pump housing is missing the retainer ring grove. All I can think of is that the pump is so old that the front seal is what holds the shaft in from falling out the front of the pump? Around the front seal there are 4 spots where someone peened the front seal in so it didn't come out. Could the front seal be the only thing that keeps the shaft from falling out the front of the pump??? That seems strange if that's the case. Has anyone played around with one of these earlier pumps before? The pump has a Cessna patent tag on it from 1971, The numbers stamped on the housing look like it says 70141 RAD. Tomorrow I will try to get a better look at the numbers.

Any help on this would be awesome!
Thanks!

IMG_20230704_172228-2.jpg
IMG_20230704_172234-2.jpg
IMG_20230704_174709-2.jpg

Last edited: