First time buyer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Uluna109

I live in texas and I currently am seeking to buy a bobcat to do work around the house. I'm between a 2004 753 bobcat skid steer with 2,367 hours on it for 10k or a 2013 s150 with 1811 hours for 15k. What do you guys recommend between the 2 or what should I mainly look for when purchasing one of these things. I'm trying to save as much as possible without buying something I'm going to be repairing every so often. Thank you.

Tazza

Staff member
Depending on if the 753 is a G series, they are essentially the same. If the lights are triangular on the 753, it's a G series, so it should have proportional aux hydraulics, the same as the S150. Both are radial lift, i believe the same, if not almost the same lifting ability.
I have an S150 and love it. Over here in .au we rarely have slooth buckets, 99% are 4 in 1, so we use aux hydraulics a lot and the proportional control is very nice.
No matter which way you go, both machines are very solid.

rodbuilder

First off you need to be realistic, because the people selling these things are nuttier than a fruitcake! I've been buying and selling skid loaders for over 20 years and for the past 2 years or so, and for no reason, the prices have went through the roof. That 743 you talk about isn't worth a dime over $7500 and only if it's in really nice shape with good tires and auxiliary hydraulics. That said the 743 is ancient. And while it does have a bigger lift capacity than a 553, THA would be my choice for your "house" chores. There were TWO generations of the 553: The 21 hp version that has the vertical lettering on the side. And the 22 hp version, with the red and white horizontal lettering. The latter one has a much easier-to-service fuel filter because the air filter on it sits horizontal and doesn't obscure the fuel filter. If you look around you should be able to find one that might need paint or tires for $5000 or less. Fixed up it will bring $7500. Nevertheless wherever these people are getting their prices is beyond me, but it will be a cold day in a REALLY hot place before I pay $10,000 for a 753 Bobcat, unless it had some gold under the seat!!!!!!!!!!

gearbox

First off you need to be realistic, because the people selling these things are nuttier than a fruitcake! I've been buying and selling skid loaders for over 20 years and for the past 2 years or so, and for no reason, the prices have went through the roof. That 743 you talk about isn't worth a dime over $7500 and only if it's in really nice shape with good tires and auxiliary hydraulics. That said the 743 is ancient. And while it does have a bigger lift capacity than a 553, THA would be my choice for your "house" chores. There were TWO generations of the 553: The 21 hp version that has the vertical lettering on the side. And the 22 hp version, with the red and white horizontal lettering. The latter one has a much easier-to-service fuel filter because the air filter on it sits horizontal and doesn't obscure the fuel filter. If you look around you should be able to find one that might need paint or tires for $5000 or less. Fixed up it will bring $7500. Nevertheless wherever these people are getting their prices is beyond me, but it will be a cold day in a REALLY hot place before I pay $10,000 for a 753 Bobcat, unless it had some gold under the seat!!!!!!!!!!
rodbuilder it's crazy right now . I have been rebuilding VH4D Wisconsin's and fixing up 610's . Was buying them for a 1000 to 1500 . Since Covid I can't buy them any more and make a buck .

Latest posts