Convert single speed to 2 speed?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

xtreem3d

hi guys,
on NH is it possible to convert a single speed to a 2 speed relatively cheap? i remember when i owned my bobcats it was a 1400.00 factory option but to retrofit was something crazy like 6-7000.00,
thanks,
steve

Earthwerks Unlimited

I looked at mine awhile back and noticed it was basically one pump piggy-backed to another. That said, it might be that from the factory the low speed pump has a splined through-hole allowing the second pump to slide into it. The factory single speed on the other hand may not have such a hole and thus they want to sell you a whole new set of pumps. And it's more than just pumps on my '05 Ls185.b. There is special control stick switch pod with the rabbit and turtle icons, which likely are a different harness-- likely plus relays too; there are additional hydraulic lines, and the biggie on mine is big solenoid that mechanically switches between pumps. You should be able to get a list of the parts breakdown from the dealer and then gather up the parts from a donor machine from a parts recycler. There is a guy on eBay called Skidsteer Supply who sells new old stock. I bought some stuff from him. Maybe he could help you---they have a brick-and-mortar store too. By the way it was a $2500 option on my machine--typically that gives you a good idea of what it what will cost you to put the parts together on your own using mostly recycled and some new parts.

skidsteer.ca

I looked at mine awhile back and noticed it was basically one pump piggy-backed to another. That said, it might be that from the factory the low speed pump has a splined through-hole allowing the second pump to slide into it. The factory single speed on the other hand may not have such a hole and thus they want to sell you a whole new set of pumps. And it's more than just pumps on my '05 Ls185.b. There is special control stick switch pod with the rabbit and turtle icons, which likely are a different harness-- likely plus relays too; there are additional hydraulic lines, and the biggie on mine is big solenoid that mechanically switches between pumps. You should be able to get a list of the parts breakdown from the dealer and then gather up the parts from a donor machine from a parts recycler. There is a guy on eBay called Skidsteer Supply who sells new old stock. I bought some stuff from him. Maybe he could help you---they have a brick-and-mortar store too. By the way it was a $2500 option on my machine--typically that gives you a good idea of what it what will cost you to put the parts together on your own using mostly recycled and some new parts.
I think its possible, but not vary cost effective, as far as the dealers go if you want 2 speed you order it that way. The cost of parts plus labor for the conversion it not cost effective for a dealer. Now if your donating your labor the parts a likely still too much unless you can source used as pointed out. You would need to find a donor machine to rob parts and it would still be quite a bit of work. I hi flowed my 160 but we had a few days worth in that one too.
I believe the 2 speed works by deviding the wheel motors into 2 sections for each side. On low speed the pump oil is flowed though both sections result in lower rpm output and hi torque. On hi speed it is blocked from the one 1/2 of the wheel motor, resulting in hi speed at a considerable loss of torque to the wheels. The valving is switched electrically. I have only used a 2 speed machine (873) a few hours, but you need a farely smooth surface to run a machine with such a sort wheelbase at 12 mph. I was spading tree but found the extra speed was not worth shifting it up and down (flip switch)
I also tried a Gehl out the other day and with the joystick option they are up to 8.8 mph on single speed which was nice on the short parking lot cruise I gave it.
Ken