CAT 297c fuel tank hole

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Lajohnsonfarms

Bought a used 297c small skid plate in the rear was missing, didn't realize it was supposed to be there. Anyways had a log go through the hole and push my fuel pickup line into my tank cause a leak. Got the line out and the hole was damaged. Now I have a hole in my tank and have to figure out how to plug it or repair it where I can thread the line back into it. Tried to post a picture but couldn't figure out how

foton

I assume that the fuel tank is plastic, there is a lot of formulas for plastic so finding the best adhesive to use you will need to find out what type plastic was used in making the fuel tank. Of course ruffing the surfaces will need to be done and cleaning any other containments from the surface too. then getting a cover patch fitted perfectly and machined any fittings for connections. It maybe would be best to bite the bullet and buy a different tank and skid plate. I know there are company's that do plastic welding, but I do not think I would use that method on a fuel tank unless there was a few assurances that it would be ok from the person doing it. good luck

flyerdan

I assume that the fuel tank is plastic, there is a lot of formulas for plastic so finding the best adhesive to use you will need to find out what type plastic was used in making the fuel tank. Of course ruffing the surfaces will need to be done and cleaning any other containments from the surface too. then getting a cover patch fitted perfectly and machined any fittings for connections. It maybe would be best to bite the bullet and buy a different tank and skid plate. I know there are company's that do plastic welding, but I do not think I would use that method on a fuel tank unless there was a few assurances that it would be ok from the person doing it. good luck
If the tank fitting is still there and use-able, and there is just a break where the tank folded in, you might be able to pull it back into position and use some aluminum or stainless strap, and some stainless sheet metal screws to hold it in position. Then seal the whole area with something like Pro Seal
That would probably require removing the tank to get a good repair, if that repair is even doable.
If you have a pic hosted somewhere on the web, just drop the link in a post and one of us will be along to sort the coding.