ASV RC50 Temp light

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

lfreng

2003 RC50 with 1100 hours on it. Noticed the coolant temp light came on dim, then got brighter after. Engine did not seem to be running hot. Hoses were hot to the touch but I could grab on to them. Radiator fan was operating, and air coming out seemed to be normal temp. This is just used around our land at our cabin, it doesnt not get driven hard at all. It was way up north and I did not have a way to measure the actual temp. I want to put an actual temp gauge in and not rely on a light. I am assuming the old sensor can be taken out and a new gauge sensor installed in its place. Does anyone know where this sensor is located on the engine (perkins) and what size port it is? Machine is 5 hours north so I cant just pop out there and take a look. I have not started looking for a new gauge but want to make sure I get the right size as it is a long way back if I get the wrong size. Appreciate any info!

Tazza

Staff member
The sender should be on the upper hose from the radiator, follow the hoses, you'll find it mounted to the head somewhere.
Sadly i don't know wht size it would be. I see no issue with changing it to an actual gauge vs a light. Best to know actual temperatures than just a light.

ASV603

The sender should be on the upper hose from the radiator, follow the hoses, you'll find it mounted to the head somewhere.
Sadly i don't know wht size it would be. I see no issue with changing it to an actual gauge vs a light. Best to know actual temperatures than just a light.
I have a similar issue with the oil pressure light on this ASV cluster. Sometimes the oil pressure light comes on very dim, or sometimes bright, then fades to dim or is off completely. This does not make any sense to me because an oil pressure sensor has two positions ON or OFF. So why the dim light? I pulled the sensor plug and it looks like there maybe some moisture collecting in there, and perhaps it is arcing. My gauge cluster is water damaged, so I looked to replace it, but it is $900...I'll pass on that. Removing that top sensor requires removing the entire air filter assembly and bracket, so I haven gotten that far yet. The motor is about a year old with maybe 50 hrs on it, so I think it's a issue with the gauge, but who knows.

flyerdan

I have a similar issue with the oil pressure light on this ASV cluster. Sometimes the oil pressure light comes on very dim, or sometimes bright, then fades to dim or is off completely. This does not make any sense to me because an oil pressure sensor has two positions ON or OFF. So why the dim light? I pulled the sensor plug and it looks like there maybe some moisture collecting in there, and perhaps it is arcing. My gauge cluster is water damaged, so I looked to replace it, but it is $900...I'll pass on that. Removing that top sensor requires removing the entire air filter assembly and bracket, so I haven gotten that far yet. The motor is about a year old with maybe 50 hrs on it, so I think it's a issue with the gauge, but who knows.
A lot of aftermarket gauge kits come with a bag of bushings and adapters so they'll fit a variety of applications; it's a long shot but maybe research the replacement sender and see if they list the thread (unlikely as few people would be interested in that) and make sure the kit covered that.
As for the dim / erratic idiot lights, try putting a dedicated ground from the cab to the main frame. Flaky ground can cause a lot of weird issues; Just a regular wire is fine for a test, if it clears it up then get a piece of woven ground strap and make up a proper one.