Adding a new forum catagory

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OldMachinist

I was thinking there needs to be a new catagory in the Bobcat section for FAQ and common repairs. From the number of times I've seen the same questions asked about port filters, fuel pick up lines, clearing air from the hydraulics, hub removal and many other things it's clear the most posters don't search the old threads before asking a new question. The moderators could copy or move some of the threads there that best answer these questions and not allow replies to that area. I think this would be very helpful for the guy broke down in the middle of a field at 10 o'clock at night and waiting for someone to get online to answer his question. Anybody else have any thoughts on this.

mllud

Good Suggestion If there was a way to put it in a format similar to the trouble shooting section in a repair manual. Referance only,no posts accept added by mods. Common fuel problems, common hydraulic problems, common electrical problems such as safety interlock switches. It may be easier to have a reference section with those [common answers] that could be copied to the thread. new posters tend to ask before looking.
Steerclan recently gave a link that has some great imformation for troubleshooting common hydraulic problems. http://www.hydraulicsupermarket.com/technical.html I posted it in the useful link thread in the salvage forum. these links get lost in history. This is a link that would be useful to answer a lot of hydraulic problems. Maybe this web site would sponser a link. They sell hydraulics.
The thing is that the moderators work jobs on top of the forum. Time and energy. Mike

mllud

Good Suggestion If there was a way to put it in a format similar to the trouble shooting section in a repair manual. Referance only,no posts accept added by mods. Common fuel problems, common hydraulic problems, common electrical problems such as safety interlock switches. It may be easier to have a reference section with those [common answers] that could be copied to the thread. new posters tend to ask before looking.
Steerclan recently gave a link that has some great imformation for troubleshooting common hydraulic problems. http://www.hydraulicsupermarket.com/technical.html I posted it in the useful link thread in the salvage forum. these links get lost in history. This is a link that would be useful to answer a lot of hydraulic problems. Maybe this web site would sponser a link. They sell hydraulics.
The thing is that the moderators work jobs on top of the forum. Time and energy. Mike
Old Machinest I didnt mean to jump in on your post. I see I repeated some of what you already said. A [Common Answer] Forum may help. No posts just imformation. Mike

Tazza

Staff member
Old Machinest I didnt mean to jump in on your post. I see I repeated some of what you already said. A [Common Answer] Forum may help. No posts just imformation. Mike
Sounds like a good idea to me. Its just one of those things that takes time to write.

Tazza

Staff member
Yes, But think of all time that may be saved not writing the same answers over and over.
So true.
I have been planning on doing things like that and hosting PDF files for pump diagrams but i just never seem to find the time to do it. I had plans of documenting the assembly of a Sauer Sunstrand pump from a 763 that is fully striped down. Its still in bags covered in WD40, its been that way for at least 2 months!! So many projects but so little time.... At least my 751 is making progress, its actually looking like a bobcat again!
When time allows i think i should start doing some of these things. I have to pull the axle hubs off my 763 eventually it would be a good time to document how to get them off to gain access to the seals.
Any other ideas for topics? as mentioned, older style 74x, 73x for the bronze filters on the pump, axle hub removal. I can't really cover engine removal as all my machines that need work have the engines out already. Pump assembly will follow though... eventually.

OP
OP
OldMachinist

OldMachinist

So true.
I have been planning on doing things like that and hosting PDF files for pump diagrams but i just never seem to find the time to do it. I had plans of documenting the assembly of a Sauer Sunstrand pump from a 763 that is fully striped down. Its still in bags covered in WD40, its been that way for at least 2 months!! So many projects but so little time.... At least my 751 is making progress, its actually looking like a bobcat again!
When time allows i think i should start doing some of these things. I have to pull the axle hubs off my 763 eventually it would be a good time to document how to get them off to gain access to the seals.
Any other ideas for topics? as mentioned, older style 74x, 73x for the bronze filters on the pump, axle hub removal. I can't really cover engine removal as all my machines that need work have the engines out already. Pump assembly will follow though... eventually.
Old style fuel pick up, pivot pin removal and repair, bleeding air from fuel line, working air out of the system, and detent balls. These are just the things I can think of right now that I've seen multible post on. I'm sure I will think of more later but right now I had a few and I'm trying not to think.

Tazza

Staff member
Old style fuel pick up, pivot pin removal and repair, bleeding air from fuel line, working air out of the system, and detent balls. These are just the things I can think of right now that I've seen multible post on. I'm sure I will think of more later but right now I had a few and I'm trying not to think.
" I had a few and I'm trying not to think." i like that!!!
Those are all good points, i need to find time and write it down, even if its just a word document that i can copy/paste to a thread. Like bleeding a fuel line, thats so simple, it can even have a few pictures.

OP
OP
OldMachinist

OldMachinist

" I had a few and I'm trying not to think." i like that!!!
Those are all good points, i need to find time and write it down, even if its just a word document that i can copy/paste to a thread. Like bleeding a fuel line, thats so simple, it can even have a few pictures.
Trying not to think on whats instore for tomorrow. I drove three different trucks, two tractors, the Bobcat and a lawn mower today and it was a slow day. So much for being retired. Sometime I think about going back to work to have a break but then I sit down on the deck with a frosty cold one straight from the half barrel and look out at the lake and all that nice green grass and say that wasn't too bad at least the boss(me) wasn't breathing down my neck about making time on a job that nobody could. Gotta go my mugs empty.

owensge

I like it. If you guys can identify what "common repairs" you'd like to list in a FAQs forum, we can probably put something up. Additionally, if any of you guys other than Tazza and Ken would like to become moderators, let me know. Between all of us, maybe we can get a list and connect them to links.
Also, I've pretty much finished my house project (after two years) and will be able to allot more time to these type of things..
As always, thanks for your great input!