743 radiator

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tjc

Has anyone ever put a fan on the radiator of a 743 and if so how did you mount it

Wayne440

I have seen electric fans mounted on top of the radiator guard, but not sure how much that helps (if at all).
If you figure out a good way, post up, my 742 could use a little better cooling.

North Idaho Wolfman

Why do you need to add a fan?
The fan on the flywheel moves a ton of air!
Is it overheating?
If so, pull the radiator cap, and look for bubbles.
If you have bubbles you have a cracked head, it's common on kubota engines.

OP
OP
T

tjc

The cracked head has already taken place, however this thing has run hot since I owed it. The system the way it is set up does not really allow for an abundance of cool air when the radiator sits on top. I have no fan on the flywheel that produces much air if any. This is the he 2nd head I have put on this unit in the past 8 years and I don't use it that much or that hard, but it does run to hot.

Wayne440

FWIW, the fan on my 742 seems less than adequate as well. I think a decent sized electric fan would have been better, but recall that electrics were not as popular back when these machines were made as they are today.

North Idaho Wolfman

So you don't have the tubine fan on the flywheel?
Without that, yea you would get bo cooling.
Have you pulled the radiator and/ or cleaned the hydraulic cooler.
When I got my 743 it wouldn't move much air because the hydraulic fluid cooler was completely caked with hydraulic fluid and dirt!

dfb

FWIW, the fan on my 742 seems less than adequate as well. I think a decent sized electric fan would have been better, but recall that electrics were not as popular back when these machines were made as they are today.
My 742B moves a lot of air. I can't see an electric fan moving more than what is already being pushed through in my own application and I am pretty sure it has not been a part down to the flywheel. Is the flywheel and fan 2 separate things if you look it up in a parts catalog{or online}? Just a thought, but could it be possible somebody left a portion of it out during a previous service.

I have a faint recollection of greasing the u-joint in mine and feeling around back there for the fitting and at the same time being able to feel the fan blades.

If the fan is there, I would also suspect an oil cooler clogged with debris preventing the air from making it's way to the radiator.

Latest posts