3 point adapter with pto

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dirtyb115

Anyone used one of these? I thinking about getting one so i can run a small bush hog and maybe other attachments instead of selling the bobcat and getting a tractor. I have a 763, so the flow rate is not as high as it could be, but the seller i have been talking to says that a 15gpm machine will run the bush hog just fine. Thoughts?

skidsteer.ca

15 gpm is enough to run a 5' cutter farely well. 16.9 gpmat 3000 psi gives me 27 hp but I also ran the same 5' cutter on a 753 with 13gpm and 2500 psi.
If you are only going to use it on the cutter though I'd just by a hyd motor for the cutter andmake it fit the skidsteer..
Ken

OP
OP
D

dirtyb115

15 gpm is enough to run a 5' cutter farely well. 16.9 gpmat 3000 psi gives me 27 hp but I also ran the same 5' cutter on a 753 with 13gpm and 2500 psi.
If you are only going to use it on the cutter though I'd just by a hyd motor for the cutter andmake it fit the skidsteer..
Ken
Thats probably about the only thing i would use it for i would think. I have been reading threads with the one you made and i have already contacted surplus center to see what they would have as far as motors. Did you buy a 3 point adapter plate or make that yourself as well? i dont have a cutter yet, and i have started looking at those as well, any certain models i would be better off with. (heavier metal maybe ect..? )

skidsteer.ca

Thats probably about the only thing i would use it for i would think. I have been reading threads with the one you made and i have already contacted surplus center to see what they would have as far as motors. Did you buy a 3 point adapter plate or make that yourself as well? i dont have a cutter yet, and i have started looking at those as well, any certain models i would be better off with. (heavier metal maybe ect..? )
I have the light duty king kutter 5' with 40 hp gear box. The fellow i got it from made it fit a skidsteer, it no longer has the 3 pt hitch.
I would like to go with a 6' wide 60 hp gear box (has better tapered bearing as opposed to ball, and a heavier blade holder as I reinforced the 1/4" thick pan that holds the blades on mine) and a heavier deck. I ran 3/8 by 6 (memory?) the full length of my deck to stiffen it, and made a whole new holder for the front wheel. The sides also take quite a thashing where the blades throw debris at the left fron and right rear side. Should be stronger there to.
There are many brands of cutter and I'm sure some are heavier then others. The gear box has not been much trouble, the hyd drive is much easier then a direct pto drive on the gears. The deck however can take alot of abuse especially if you mow on rought ground. My King Kutter is only 1/8" thick top and sides and thats marginal.
The good part about King Kutter is they use vary common parts used by several other brands and there is a guy on ebay that sell complete new gear boxes for 200 to 300, blades and other parts are cheap. If you search cutter gear box on there you will find him , I'd recommend staying within those brands.
I just think you can convert a cutter to skidsteer for 1/2 to 2/3 of the price of the adapter. Unless you want it to run a pto auger or other tractor implement.
Ken

OP
OP
D

dirtyb115

I have the light duty king kutter 5' with 40 hp gear box. The fellow i got it from made it fit a skidsteer, it no longer has the 3 pt hitch.
I would like to go with a 6' wide 60 hp gear box (has better tapered bearing as opposed to ball, and a heavier blade holder as I reinforced the 1/4" thick pan that holds the blades on mine) and a heavier deck. I ran 3/8 by 6 (memory?) the full length of my deck to stiffen it, and made a whole new holder for the front wheel. The sides also take quite a thashing where the blades throw debris at the left fron and right rear side. Should be stronger there to.
There are many brands of cutter and I'm sure some are heavier then others. The gear box has not been much trouble, the hyd drive is much easier then a direct pto drive on the gears. The deck however can take alot of abuse especially if you mow on rought ground. My King Kutter is only 1/8" thick top and sides and thats marginal.
The good part about King Kutter is they use vary common parts used by several other brands and there is a guy on ebay that sell complete new gear boxes for 200 to 300, blades and other parts are cheap. If you search cutter gear box on there you will find him , I'd recommend staying within those brands.
I just think you can convert a cutter to skidsteer for 1/2 to 2/3 of the price of the adapter. Unless you want it to run a pto auger or other tractor implement.
Ken
I got a response from surpluscenter, and they suggested about 6 different motors. I particulary liked this one. http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008072412280758&catname=&qty=1&item=9-7368-100 I am wondering if it is really necessary to alter the wheel location, and mounting points or if i could just run it as is on a 3 point adapter plate. (ie drive the cutter backwards). Looks like the live pto 3 point adapters are setup to run the cutters like this. Thoughts? Getting a list together, i think ill start purchasing stuff soon.

OP
OP
D

dirtyb115

I got a response from surpluscenter, and they suggested about 6 different motors. I particulary liked this one. http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008072412280758&catname=&qty=1&item=9-7368-100 I am wondering if it is really necessary to alter the wheel location, and mounting points or if i could just run it as is on a 3 point adapter plate. (ie drive the cutter backwards). Looks like the live pto 3 point adapters are setup to run the cutters like this. Thoughts? Getting a list together, i think ill start purchasing stuff soon.
If i use the above motor i could just use a coupling for the pto shaft right? http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008072412280758&item=1-1562&catname=

Tazza

Staff member
If i use the above motor i could just use a coupling for the pto shaft right? http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008072412280758&item=1-1562&catname=
It appears you will require a case drain line though. If it has only 2 ports its fine, but if there are 3 you will need to plumb in an extra line back to the tank.

skidsteer.ca

You would not need a coupling your pto shaft will fit on that motor I believe.
My mower was turned around so it was still going forward. Depends on your deck I'd say, mine had a center discharge and the rear side tapered in. If yours is the same you might have to do something with the side so they did not push the brush to the outside. Parsonally i'd really like to try a cutter with exposed blade tips on the front side and a push bar 30" above the deck. Also don't forget a check valve so you can make a loop hose or else you need a cushion valve which would let you run the cutter either rotation if you want to sharpen your blades on both sides
Can you post some pics of the cutter or are you still picking one out?
Ken

OP
OP
D

dirtyb115

You would not need a coupling your pto shaft will fit on that motor I believe.
My mower was turned around so it was still going forward. Depends on your deck I'd say, mine had a center discharge and the rear side tapered in. If yours is the same you might have to do something with the side so they did not push the brush to the outside. Parsonally i'd really like to try a cutter with exposed blade tips on the front side and a push bar 30" above the deck. Also don't forget a check valve so you can make a loop hose or else you need a cushion valve which would let you run the cutter either rotation if you want to sharpen your blades on both sides
Can you post some pics of the cutter or are you still picking one out?
Ken
Didnt even notice that motor has the drain port, darn. I have not picked a cutter out yet, been looking at a few trying to figure out the best fit. Ill probably buy a used one if i can find one that is not beat to heck.

OP
OP
D

dirtyb115

Didnt even notice that motor has the drain port, darn. I have not picked a cutter out yet, been looking at a few trying to figure out the best fit. Ill probably buy a used one if i can find one that is not beat to heck.
9-7368-100 9-7081-100 9-072-1038 9-3174-J 9-7079-100 These are the motors they suggested i look at for this application. I think the 3rd one down might be the one you have on your cutter Ken?

OP
OP
D

dirtyb115

9-7368-100 9-7081-100 9-072-1038 9-3174-J 9-7079-100 These are the motors they suggested i look at for this application. I think the 3rd one down might be the one you have on your cutter Ken?
Sorry for all the posts, is there a way to edit my posts so i can add to them? I do see what you mean about the angle on the deck, most i have seen are tapered or curved so that would be a problem. Maybe i could just add some metal on the sides so the bush does not get pushed out of the way quite as bad.

Tazza

Staff member
Sorry for all the posts, is there a way to edit my posts so i can add to them? I do see what you mean about the angle on the deck, most i have seen are tapered or curved so that would be a problem. Maybe i could just add some metal on the sides so the bush does not get pushed out of the way quite as bad.
Currently moderators are the only ones that can edit posts, i don't think anyone minds if you add more posts with more questions. We aren't like other forums that get cranky at such things.

bobcat_ron

Currently moderators are the only ones that can edit posts, i don't think anyone minds if you add more posts with more questions. We aren't like other forums that get cranky at such things.
cough, cough, cough Steve Frasier HeavyEquipmentForums cough, cough, cough.

skidsteer.ca

Yes it is that one. I was suprised to some of the one they recommended had bearings and a much lower price then $390
When the cutter came to live with me, it had a motor like this (for my 13 gpm 753)
http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008072510033609&item=9-7078-80&catname=hydraulic
with no bearings and it worked for 100 hours (give or take) for me (not much use by the fellow who built it) then seized up when I rented it to a customer. My mechanic figured dirt contamination from the couplers as fellow said it went about 100 feet and stopped.
It was also somewhat abused because I did not have the bypass loop installed and when I shut the hyd flow off it had to stop right now, even when I lifted the loader boom all the flow from the pump was momentarily diverted from the couplers to the lift cylinders and the cutter rpm really dropped. Now it can coast along slowing down at its own pace with the bypass loop.
My mechanic advised I get the one I have now, with bearings, and I have since added a hi pressure filter b4 the motor to protect it from contimanation through the coupler or in the event of a failing loader pump.
Your idea for modding the deck seems fine to me.
Ken

OP
OP
D

dirtyb115

Yes it is that one. I was suprised to some of the one they recommended had bearings and a much lower price then $390
When the cutter came to live with me, it had a motor like this (for my 13 gpm 753)
http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008072510033609&item=9-7078-80&catname=hydraulic
with no bearings and it worked for 100 hours (give or take) for me (not much use by the fellow who built it) then seized up when I rented it to a customer. My mechanic figured dirt contamination from the couplers as fellow said it went about 100 feet and stopped.
It was also somewhat abused because I did not have the bypass loop installed and when I shut the hyd flow off it had to stop right now, even when I lifted the loader boom all the flow from the pump was momentarily diverted from the couplers to the lift cylinders and the cutter rpm really dropped. Now it can coast along slowing down at its own pace with the bypass loop.
My mechanic advised I get the one I have now, with bearings, and I have since added a hi pressure filter b4 the motor to protect it from contimanation through the coupler or in the event of a failing loader pump.
Your idea for modding the deck seems fine to me.
Ken
Looking at the specs on your motor it says it has a case drain? I didnt notice a third hose in your pics, are the specs wrong?