whining noise

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jjb16033

I have a 1992 843B with the isuzu 54HP. diesel engine. It has a lot of power, but when you move or turn it has a whining noise with low or high rpms. I have changed the filter and still does it. I didnt know if this was just from wear and tear on parts or normal. The machine has alot of power though. Thanks.

Venom

I have a 1986 843 with the Isuzu 54 hp. I also makes a fair amount of noise when operating. I do not see a loss of power, I think it's an inherent part of the normal operation.

DL9191

I also have a "whining issue" I was told that its the drive belt thats loose, i checked and its really tight, so not sure if it could be adjusted tighter? For the time being I'm just ignoring the whining,,,, its easy to do

Tazza

Staff member
I also have a "whining issue" I was told that its the drive belt thats loose, i checked and its really tight, so not sure if it could be adjusted tighter? For the time being I'm just ignoring the whining,,,, its easy to do
I believe a slipping belt will squeek not whine. Its normal for the drivre system to make noise when under load, there is a fair amout of load when turning on the spot. It could be normal operational noises.
As for the belt (this does not apply to the 843) there should be a pointer if its a spring loaded idler/tensioner. It should be point to i think 3'o clock for correct belt tension.

OP
OP
jjb16033

jjb16033

I believe a slipping belt will squeek not whine. Its normal for the drivre system to make noise when under load, there is a fair amout of load when turning on the spot. It could be normal operational noises.
As for the belt (this does not apply to the 843) there should be a pointer if its a spring loaded idler/tensioner. It should be point to i think 3'o clock for correct belt tension.
Come to find out it is the main pumps. Thanks for the info.

Tazza

Staff member
Come to find out it is the main pumps. Thanks for the info.
Is the pump getting hot fast?
It may be normal noise though.... Can you feel vibrations? do the controls flop around? Wondering if it could possibly be a bearing...

OP
OP
jjb16033

jjb16033

Is the pump getting hot fast?
It may be normal noise though.... Can you feel vibrations? do the controls flop around? Wondering if it could possibly be a bearing...
Yes i can feel a vibration and the controls do flop around a little. Do you think its a bearing in the pump. I'm not sure if the pump is heating up fast though. Thanks

jeffco

Yes i can feel a vibration and the controls do flop around a little. Do you think its a bearing in the pump. I'm not sure if the pump is heating up fast though. Thanks
the vibration may be cavitation which will cause heat and severe damage if not corrected, of course, cavitation is likely to cause a whining, jerking, sputtering feel in the hydraulics as the system continually trys to purge air fom its pump, lines and motors. Check the oil temp after an hour of use, hydraulic oil (aw46 or equivelant) is ok to 200 -250 degrees but over that number would not be the best case for your pump. Engine oil does not do well over 200 degrees long term. I ran my 825 6 hours and tested the oil temp with a remote probe on my DVOM, just pushed the little rice sized sender down the hydraulic fill tube, my oil never once was over 160 degrees and I have to say I was using the machine but not abusing it!!??!!?? My machine when traveling fast or slow in a straight line is perfectly silent, when I turn it whines the same left or right but its not much different than my friends ASV or my neighbors Kubota or Cat skidsteer. I don't worry about it, it's fully serviced, new filters and oil. If it doesn't scald the oil I agree, it's not far from normal. But if your oil looks milky or foamy its a sure bet, you may have cavitation(or water) but most likely its air leaking into a suction line of the charge pump or main pumps causing the system to be randomly filled with pockets of air. If the oil gets hot quickly you need to find the problem quickly By the way the ASV and Kubota are new, less than 100 hours while my 825 is 30 years old. I hope some of this helps, jeffco

OP
OP
jjb16033

jjb16033

the vibration may be cavitation which will cause heat and severe damage if not corrected, of course, cavitation is likely to cause a whining, jerking, sputtering feel in the hydraulics as the system continually trys to purge air fom its pump, lines and motors. Check the oil temp after an hour of use, hydraulic oil (aw46 or equivelant) is ok to 200 -250 degrees but over that number would not be the best case for your pump. Engine oil does not do well over 200 degrees long term. I ran my 825 6 hours and tested the oil temp with a remote probe on my DVOM, just pushed the little rice sized sender down the hydraulic fill tube, my oil never once was over 160 degrees and I have to say I was using the machine but not abusing it!!??!!?? My machine when traveling fast or slow in a straight line is perfectly silent, when I turn it whines the same left or right but its not much different than my friends ASV or my neighbors Kubota or Cat skidsteer. I don't worry about it, it's fully serviced, new filters and oil. If it doesn't scald the oil I agree, it's not far from normal. But if your oil looks milky or foamy its a sure bet, you may have cavitation(or water) but most likely its air leaking into a suction line of the charge pump or main pumps causing the system to be randomly filled with pockets of air. If the oil gets hot quickly you need to find the problem quickly By the way the ASV and Kubota are new, less than 100 hours while my 825 is 30 years old. I hope some of this helps, jeffco
Well i know when i drained the oil out it was not milky. And as far as the temp. goes i'll have to wait and check it when i get it back together. And like your's when i'm going in a straight line there is no noise, just when i turn left or right. I do use aw46. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
jjb16033

jjb16033

Well i know when i drained the oil out it was not milky. And as far as the temp. goes i'll have to wait and check it when i get it back together. And like your's when i'm going in a straight line there is no noise, just when i turn left or right. I do use aw46. Thanks for the info.
Well got it back together and the vibration is gone and was caused by two bad u-joints from the engine to the pumps. As for the winning noise, there is very little now since i changed the fluid and filters. I'm glad is back together again.