Wheels/tires for old machines

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

IndianaJohn

Just wondering what others are doing for tires on older loaders? My 1000 still has the original 15" Armstrong Norseman bias ply snow tires on it, and they still have decent tread, but they are severely weathered and there isn't a lot of flotation on soft ground with those skinny things. I know that 15" tires (especially actual snow tires) are almost as rare as dodo eggs these days, so I'm thinking about what I can replace them with someday soon. I would also like to find something wider and more aggressive. I have been thinking about finding a wheel that would let me use a more common diameter tire. The only option I can think of might be to go with a farm implement wheel. I know they are available in a 6 lug pattern, but I don't know if it is the same bolt circle as our machines use. I know they are available in some wider sizes as well, and I think they are 16.5 which is a common size for skid steer tires. Has anybody gone this way, or are you all still running the stock skinnies? Any other ideas to consider? IJ