what type of skid steer to buy?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jonny

Hi, I have been looking to buy a bobcat for general construction use; moving earth, demolition, lifting pallets (not more than 2500lbs), snow removal, power sweeping etc. I am not sure what model is best, and what size is really necessary for this type of general use. Suggestions?

Muddin_Mavric

the one thing i would recomend is get the biggest and newest one you can. unless you have to get into tight spots. i was looking at maybe getting a 753. it would have done everything i wanted it to, but the 853 i ended up with does everyhting i want, just better and faster :) i would have liked a 873 but i could not pass up the 853. it has a operationg cap. of 1700 lbs. it will lift and move anything i can possible fit in the 72" bucket. even heavy wet clay. it does have some custom counter weights on it which im sure help the stability with the heavy load. im not sure how it would handle a 2500 pallet, or how big of a machine you would need for that, it depends alot on the center of gravity of the load.

skidsteer.ca

the one thing i would recomend is get the biggest and newest one you can. unless you have to get into tight spots. i was looking at maybe getting a 753. it would have done everything i wanted it to, but the 853 i ended up with does everyhting i want, just better and faster :) i would have liked a 873 but i could not pass up the 853. it has a operationg cap. of 1700 lbs. it will lift and move anything i can possible fit in the 72" bucket. even heavy wet clay. it does have some custom counter weights on it which im sure help the stability with the heavy load. im not sure how it would handle a 2500 pallet, or how big of a machine you would need for that, it depends alot on the center of gravity of the load.
a 2500 lb pallet would give a 853 all it wants unless you really counterweight it up assumining the center of gravity is 24" out on the forks.
I guess bigger is better unless it won't fit the jobsite, is too heavy to haul around.Machines in the 1300 to 2400 roc have the best resale imo if thats a concern.Ken

Tazza

Staff member
a 2500 lb pallet would give a 853 all it wants unless you really counterweight it up assumining the center of gravity is 24" out on the forks.
I guess bigger is better unless it won't fit the jobsite, is too heavy to haul around.Machines in the 1300 to 2400 roc have the best resale imo if thats a concern.Ken
The lifting capacity is your biggest hurdle as stated, 2,500 lbs is quite a lot for a skid steer.As stated, you would need an "8" series size machine for those pallets, not sure what that equals in the later S series.
I agree that if you get say an 863 you will need rear counter weights.

OP
OP
J

jonny

The lifting capacity is your biggest hurdle as stated, 2,500 lbs is quite a lot for a skid steer.As stated, you would need an "8" series size machine for those pallets, not sure what that equals in the later S series.
I agree that if you get say an 863 you will need rear counter weights.
I appreciate all the input--incidently, what year did they change to the S series, and one more question: if I were to buy a used one, how many hours are too many, or what is the max amount of hours you want to see on a used one to buy it?

Tazza

Staff member
I appreciate all the input--incidently, what year did they change to the S series, and one more question: if I were to buy a used one, how many hours are too many, or what is the max amount of hours you want to see on a used one to buy it?
I can't be too sure on the S series, but i think about 2000, maybe a touch later.
Hours, the average life span of a Kubota engine is about 6,000 hours. They can run longer but at this point they are starting to wear and get a little hard to start. The hydraulics/hydrostatics will easily out last that with proper care.

Iowa Dave

S series came out in different years for different sizes. Most around 2000/2001. 753's lasted a year later than most, being replaced with the S-130. The little 463 just became the S-70 this year. In the S-series, add a zero to the number after the S to get Bobcat co's rated cap. So it would take an S-250 to lift 2500 lbs high overhead safely according to Bobcat, but I'm sure an S-220 would normally do it. Either of those is a pretty big skid steer. I like the boom set-up that the S-175, 185, 250, and I think maybe the 300 have. You know, the extra linkage so they stay in a vertical plane as they lift upwards. If you fill tall trucks or dig lots of post holes I'd say this is nearly a must. Condition is FAR,FAR more important than hours. A machine from a good home is pretty dependable up around 2000+ hrs, and I've seen 700 hr machines that were nearly JUNK. Personally, I would NEVER buy something with over 500 hrs if I couldn't talk to the previous owner. I have purchased 2000 hr machines when I got a good feeling from talking to the previous owner. If the machine is for constant, near daily business use, where downtime and reliability are really important, I'd probably stay under 1000 hrs. If for personal or occasional use, I'd go much higher hrs. if I had to. Bigger is normally better if size(workspace) isn't an issue. Right now I have 3 wheeled machines (Small, med and large) and a tracked machine(T-190). Early tracked machines--864 and T200--had lots of drive motor issues. Never get one of those. I'd get a kubota engine, whatever size/model I ended up with.

m610

S series came out in different years for different sizes. Most around 2000/2001. 753's lasted a year later than most, being replaced with the S-130. The little 463 just became the S-70 this year. In the S-series, add a zero to the number after the S to get Bobcat co's rated cap. So it would take an S-250 to lift 2500 lbs high overhead safely according to Bobcat, but I'm sure an S-220 would normally do it. Either of those is a pretty big skid steer. I like the boom set-up that the S-175, 185, 250, and I think maybe the 300 have. You know, the extra linkage so they stay in a vertical plane as they lift upwards. If you fill tall trucks or dig lots of post holes I'd say this is nearly a must. Condition is FAR,FAR more important than hours. A machine from a good home is pretty dependable up around 2000+ hrs, and I've seen 700 hr machines that were nearly JUNK. Personally, I would NEVER buy something with over 500 hrs if I couldn't talk to the previous owner. I have purchased 2000 hr machines when I got a good feeling from talking to the previous owner. If the machine is for constant, near daily business use, where downtime and reliability are really important, I'd probably stay under 1000 hrs. If for personal or occasional use, I'd go much higher hrs. if I had to. Bigger is normally better if size(workspace) isn't an issue. Right now I have 3 wheeled machines (Small, med and large) and a tracked machine(T-190). Early tracked machines--864 and T200--had lots of drive motor issues. Never get one of those. I'd get a kubota engine, whatever size/model I ended up with.
Besides Bobcat, there are also Case, Mustang as well as New Holland to consider. If you want to lift heavy weights definately consider a vertical lift machine. An 800 series Bobcat or s250 would be the bare minimum. I have found 863's to be powerful and very useful but they have computer issues as well as the Deutz engine. While Deutz engines are OK, the parts support is terrible, and extremely pricey. As mentioned above, a Kubota is a great engine. However, the Cummins found in some Case loaders is my favorite engine. I go with the cheapest piece of junk for my projects but anyone in business should stay away from high hour machines for sure. I second the advice to avoid 864 and T200 bobcats as they are just 863's with tracks.

BOHadvantage

Besides Bobcat, there are also Case, Mustang as well as New Holland to consider. If you want to lift heavy weights definately consider a vertical lift machine. An 800 series Bobcat or s250 would be the bare minimum. I have found 863's to be powerful and very useful but they have computer issues as well as the Deutz engine. While Deutz engines are OK, the parts support is terrible, and extremely pricey. As mentioned above, a Kubota is a great engine. However, the Cummins found in some Case loaders is my favorite engine. I go with the cheapest piece of junk for my projects but anyone in business should stay away from high hour machines for sure. I second the advice to avoid 864 and T200 bobcats as they are just 863's with tracks.
With any machine you look to purchase how it was taken care of is far more important than model or brand. Personally i would only go with a Bobcat because there are so many units out in the marketplace and so many dealers that being able to get parts if i need to is easy in comparison to some copy cat brands. I currently have a 743 with over 10000 hours, same engine, pumps, motors. Had to replace pins, axle bearings and other wear parts but a great machine. If you are planning on loading pallets or trucks go with the vertical lift pattern but if you are going to just move 2500# from point a to b then a radial lift machine is fine. there are fewer pivot points and therefore less maintenance down the road. if you can get a recently reconditioned track loader (even an 864 or T200) you do not need to worry about the track motor problems because the motors on the dealers shelf today are far superior to those in the original unit in 1999 or 2000.

m610

With any machine you look to purchase how it was taken care of is far more important than model or brand. Personally i would only go with a Bobcat because there are so many units out in the marketplace and so many dealers that being able to get parts if i need to is easy in comparison to some copy cat brands. I currently have a 743 with over 10000 hours, same engine, pumps, motors. Had to replace pins, axle bearings and other wear parts but a great machine. If you are planning on loading pallets or trucks go with the vertical lift pattern but if you are going to just move 2500# from point a to b then a radial lift machine is fine. there are fewer pivot points and therefore less maintenance down the road. if you can get a recently reconditioned track loader (even an 864 or T200) you do not need to worry about the track motor problems because the motors on the dealers shelf today are far superior to those in the original unit in 1999 or 2000.
10,000 hours is incredible for a Bobcat! It's a sign that the owner really knows how to use/maintain a machine. I have seen so many of them dead at 3000 hours due to neglect and abuse.

Tazza

Staff member
10,000 hours is incredible for a Bobcat! It's a sign that the owner really knows how to use/maintain a machine. I have seen so many of them dead at 3000 hours due to neglect and abuse.
10,000 hours isn't unrealistic for the pumps and motors actually. The engine would wear out first. I wonder if the hour meter has been clicking over when the machine was shut off a little. Either way, its still impressive.

sp6x6

I have a s185 and I am looking at a s250. This would be my third SS. S185LIFT 1850. S250 2500#'S. Bigger machine , heavier, more $, Does more, faster. Bocat home site has an area where you can compare models side by side, but go to dealer and look at units possible demo one. I am looking at s250 because I REALLY want to launch snow with a 7' SBX 240 high flow