What Bobcat for maintaining motorbike tracks, reliable, common and strong!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Blatchy

Hi, Im looking to buy another Bobcat to use around our property to maintain motorbike tracks. Our property is steep in places with a fair bit of rock and gravel so a track loader is out. A larger machine would be my preference as I dont need to transport it and stabillity is a big issue. I would however prefer a medium machine if the larger machines cost alot more to maintain and run. I want to stick to a common brand and model for ease of finding parts and cost. Based on what Ive read so far, a Bobat S220 would be my preference. They however are at the top end of what im wanting to spend. I dont need vertical lift as most of my work will be just grading. Other models that ineterst me are the Bobcat S160 which may be too small, the Bobcat 863 which the Deutz engine concerns me and the New Holland LS170 or LS180. The New Hollands sound good for the longer wheelbase and cheaper purchase price, though reliabillty and part availabitty concerns me. The machine will only have occasional use, so comfort and and ease of controls are not as import to me as reliabillty and ease of ownership. Is it worth spending a bit more for the S220?

waggles

As a Dirt bike rider I have an S130 that I have built Supercross tracks with, but a bigger machine does the job easily. Just buy a basic model with no electronic hand controls as it will be easier and cheaper to maintain in the long term. S220 would be fine.

Ironwood

As a Dirt bike rider I have an S130 that I have built Supercross tracks with, but a bigger machine does the job easily. Just buy a basic model with no electronic hand controls as it will be easier and cheaper to maintain in the long term. S220 would be fine.
I asked my Bobcat dealer about the 220 with the wheels that turn (I retrieve logs out of yards on occasion.). He said that the "rebuild" on all the moving parts (joints/knuckles,etc..) is about $5000 for every 2000 hours use. YIKES. He said they are "specialty machines" for certain purposes, but not the most durable for construction and dirt work. Ironwood