What 800 series machine for me?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JRP

I'm looking for a machine bigger than a 753 for ranch work. We have a 753 and sometimes it is small. There must be one model with the better engine, simple controls, less maintenance that is better suited. It will probably need to be used. Just like the Ford 7.3 liter diesel engine has a fantastic reputation, what is the preferred Bobcat engine, etc. Based on what I have read, I don't want the expensive maintenance electronic hand controls. What about the simple instrumentation vs. computer? Please guide me to a simple, robust, low maintenance cost machine model and options. Air conditioning would be nice, but I don't want a maintenance headache. If I find one to evaluate, my plan is to hire the Bobcat dealer for a mechanic site visit to give the machine a good checkout. I think they would know what to look for and the $300 or so would be worthwhile.

Tazza

Staff member
I think all the engines in the larger machines Bobcat make after the 843 are pretty well sized. The 853 i think runs the oil cooled Deutz, its an expensive engine to work on, but its a fine engine when its running, few problems. The later ones like the S250 run a 3.3L turbo Kubota. I know Kubota parts are easily gotten, i personally would stick close to them for parts availability and pricing alone, even though Detuz do build excellent engines.
You will really need to look around to see what is available with the options you want.

Bman73

I think all the engines in the larger machines Bobcat make after the 843 are pretty well sized. The 853 i think runs the oil cooled Deutz, its an expensive engine to work on, but its a fine engine when its running, few problems. The later ones like the S250 run a 3.3L turbo Kubota. I know Kubota parts are easily gotten, i personally would stick close to them for parts availability and pricing alone, even though Detuz do build excellent engines.
You will really need to look around to see what is available with the options you want.
I am extremly happy with my 853c, except for the alternator needing to be replaced I have just put fuel in it and done regular servicing to it. It is an older one but I have the isuzu engine in mine jdt-4 or something like that I think. Manual is in the bedroom and wife is still sleeping so it'll have to be a guess for now. Lots of power for snow as well as moving dirt, will stand on it's nose long before it runs out of lifting ability, even has no issue flipping snow covered round bales into the horse corral over the fence. If I hit the pedals just right I can actually chuck em about 5 feet or so now, scares the hell ouuta the horses when thier dinner starts chasing them lol. All in all very happy with mine.