weird noise from 773

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jeffb

hello to all. well i have had my 773 for about a week now, and i dont know how i got along without it. its the greatest for yardwork. my problem is i have been hearing weird noises coming from the front around the bucket area. especially when backdragging. then i noticed the retainer for the lower tilt cylinder to the bobtach pin was broken. that must be where the noise is coming from. i came here and did a search and decided to grease it. now the noise is not as bad but its still there. it sounds like a scraping like metal on rocks sorta. my question is do i need to replace the pin, or is there a bushing in there also that needs replacing? the service manual is not clear on this. also to remove the bucket does the bobtach latches need to be straight up or at 45 dgree angle?
thanks for a great site
Jeff

Tazza

Staff member
There should be both a pin and bushing that you can replace. They will both wear over time. If you do one side, you may as well do both.
It sounds like it has picked up and the grind is the metal particles caught up between the pin and bushing. I'd change it as soon as possible, if you leave it too long, you could wear through the bushing and have all sorts of trouble repairing it later.

OP
OP
J

jeffb

There should be both a pin and bushing that you can replace. They will both wear over time. If you do one side, you may as well do both.
It sounds like it has picked up and the grind is the metal particles caught up between the pin and bushing. I'd change it as soon as possible, if you leave it too long, you could wear through the bushing and have all sorts of trouble repairing it later.
thanks tazza. i will get on that as soon as possible. is that job pretty straightforward or any tricks and tips to get it done? maybe a search on here will show me how. any thoughts on the bobtach levers? one more question, off road fuel, yea or nay?
thanks again, Jeff

Tazza

Staff member
thanks tazza. i will get on that as soon as possible. is that job pretty straightforward or any tricks and tips to get it done? maybe a search on here will show me how. any thoughts on the bobtach levers? one more question, off road fuel, yea or nay?
thanks again, Jeff
Its pretty simple, but some times the bushings are in there pretty tight and require heating or even a slide hammer to shock them out.
I'm not sure what off road fuel even is, all our diesel is pretty much the same here.
Whats the problem with your bobtach levers? you can grease the pins if they are stuck, just don't strike the pins with a hammer, you need a soft one, the pins are hardened and can and will shoot pieces off.... i know this by experience!

OP
OP
J

jeffb

Its pretty simple, but some times the bushings are in there pretty tight and require heating or even a slide hammer to shock them out.
I'm not sure what off road fuel even is, all our diesel is pretty much the same here.
Whats the problem with your bobtach levers? you can grease the pins if they are stuck, just don't strike the pins with a hammer, you need a soft one, the pins are hardened and can and will shoot pieces off.... i know this by experience!
hello again, thanks tazza for that info. i got prices and availability on parts today, should have them by next thursday. off road fuel is what they use in school buses and farm equipment in this area, they may call it something else where you are, don't know. yea i must have a problem with the bobtach levers, they only move about 2 inches and the bucket will not come off. i will let them soak in rust penetrant overnight and try them again tomorrow. watch out for those flying projectiles. Thanks again, Jeff.

djack

thanks again, Jeff
off road fuel, its the same except off road is red an not taxed like on road fuel,dont get caught on the road with off road fuel

OP
OP
J

jeffb

off road fuel, its the same except off road is red an not taxed like on road fuel,dont get caught on the road with off road fuel
hello, so does that mean its safe to use in skid steers?
thanks

bobbie-g

hello, so does that mean its safe to use in skid steers?
thanks
Jeff, I've been using red diesel (off road) in my 751 for several years, and have about a hundred hours on my T180 using red diesel. My guess is that it's perfectly safe in all diesel engines. The red dye is added so that enforcement officials can easily check on-road vehicle tanks for the off road fuel. The off road fuel is about 30 cents/gallon cheaper here in Colorado because of not paying the on-road tax. I've never heard of off-road causing a problem in anyone's engine. :) ---RC

OP
OP
J

jeffb

Jeff, I've been using red diesel (off road) in my 751 for several years, and have about a hundred hours on my T180 using red diesel. My guess is that it's perfectly safe in all diesel engines. The red dye is added so that enforcement officials can easily check on-road vehicle tanks for the off road fuel. The off road fuel is about 30 cents/gallon cheaper here in Colorado because of not paying the on-road tax. I've never heard of off-road causing a problem in anyone's engine. :) ---RC
hello bg, thanks for the info. i should be fine as long as i am using power service too. i was just wondering because its a definite no no in the dodge cummins i work on every day. tazza i finally got the bobtach loose with a little 4 foot cheetah pipe persuaion. i guess the bucket has not been off for a while. i finally raised the cab and i see my next project will be cleaning the 10 years of dirt and tree use. thanks for all your info guys, it really helpful and makes owning and operating a bobcat a real good experience. Jeff