want to transition from computer tech to a bobcat/excavator business

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

burgerman

I have been thinking about transitioning from being a self employed computer technician to being a self employed bobcat or excavator operator/owner. I know these machines and the startup and running costs are expensive and at this time its really just about research and whether its right for me. I'm interested in finding out "what are the worst things about being in this industry?" for a computer technician there are plenty of things that drive one crazy. Its the parts, its the software and its the nutcase customers that drive me up the wall. being a pc tech is a very technical job and its constantly updating but it seems nobody in the industry is taken seriously, especially when it comes to being paid. What are some of the worst things about being in your industry ? What are clients like? do they complain? are there stacks of non-payments for your work? what about the equipment ? is it a constant hassle with expensive repairs? is work always available? although it seems like operators in your industry make tons of money do you really make much after expenses ?

Tazza

Staff member
Working on a computer all day does get boring, but you sit at a desk in air-con. If you are out doing earth works you will be in the sun and rain, heat and cold. It all depends on jobs too, there is nothing to say you will have constant work year round. The money can be good, you can also get burnt badly by non paying customers.
I don't work in this area, i'm sure others will poke their noses in and give you advise too.
The outlay for a good used machine isn't that bad, when you get some money saved, update if required. Keep your gear looking good, no one wants to hire someone with a machine that looks horrible. Even if you are the best operator around, image really does say a lot. I'd never get someone that i didn't know to work on my car if their workshop looked like a dump.
Also, get insurence too! one little mistake can ruin you without being covered. buried phone lines can be rather expensive to fix if you pull one up.
Just my 2c

nobull1

"is it a constant hassle with expensive repairs? is work always available? although it seems like operators in your industry make tons of money do you really make much after expenses ?"
  1. It could be if you have older machinery and bad luck. Any repairs to this type of equipment seem ridiculous to a person not involved in the industry. Example would be mini excavator drive motors approximately $5000.00 each.
  2. No! unless you will work for nothing and then you won't be working for long anyways.
  3. If they did everyone would be doing it and drive the prices down. It always looks greener on the other side. The tons of money that appears is being made can be swallowed up by repairs as mentioned in #1. Another example would be you can go do a job in two hours and make say $250.00.....sounds great. On that job you might hit a piece of rebar and ruin a $2000.00 track. At the end of the year if you are like most, and a little lucky you make a living if not you join the casualties of the business.
All this being said people are all the time getting into all types of businesses and making a living, going broke or making all kinds of money. The construction business is no different.

Brian

Iowa Dave

1) Borrow no money 2) have another source of income for a couple of years--you need to plow profits back into advertising and equipment 3) The people/business side is harder than the technical side. You will have the same issues on this front that you have in your current job, so don't think you are getting away from those things--they will probably be even worse if you change occupations! 4) It is easy to dream. It is harder to come up with a good business plan that has a reasonable chance of success. This will take quite a bit of time and some cash to complete. 4) work RETAIL. No $$ in subbing for other contractors I am out of time. I could go on and on. This can really work if planned out right and a few breaks go your way, but simply buying a machine with credit, and looking for work is the perfect recipe for failure.

dozer

1) Borrow no money 2) have another source of income for a couple of years--you need to plow profits back into advertising and equipment 3) The people/business side is harder than the technical side. You will have the same issues on this front that you have in your current job, so don't think you are getting away from those things--they will probably be even worse if you change occupations! 4) It is easy to dream. It is harder to come up with a good business plan that has a reasonable chance of success. This will take quite a bit of time and some cash to complete. 4) work RETAIL. No $$ in subbing for other contractors I am out of time. I could go on and on. This can really work if planned out right and a few breaks go your way, but simply buying a machine with credit, and looking for work is the perfect recipe for failure.
I agree with IOWA Dave. I started my buisness part-time using income from a good year in my primary career. It allows you to grow at a controlled rate and still feed your family. Try to keep loans down because you will be sinking most of your profit right back into the buisness as you upgrade machines, equipment, attachments, advertising, etc.
If you are comfortable with computers use that to your advantage. Make your bids clear and you contracts more clear still. I find that is the easiest way to avoid problems with poor payers or people you thought were friends.
I don't have a problem doing sub work as long as its for a profit and you know your contractor. Its quick easy money for the most part and you don't have to do the bidding, worrying etc.
If you only have a little experience in this field start small. Its hard fun work but you don't need a $35,000 note from the bank to find you hate sweating all day in a SS or breaking your back cleaning up a poor turn on somebodies lawn because they moved your plywood and didn't tell you. (long story)
That being said I am very happy I started my SS buisness. Its fun, challenging and if your like me you get sick of office work and its goof to finish grading a driveway and see you work right there in front of you. My SS buisness is my idea of a great weekend. This weekend my family and I drilled holes and put in corral posts.
Good Luck,
Dozer