TL250 Detent mode and one way flow mode

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BigO-L3

I noticed things look kinda slow in the Takeuchi section, but hopefully someone will have current knowledge on this subject. I found the below post, which is similar to my question.
Posted By: BELZONA GUY on 04-04-2014 03:56 PM
Subject: Re: Detent mode and one way flow mode
Message: When the one way flow ( Green button ) is lit, the flow of oil back from the attachment is supposed to go an easier route back to the cooler and tank. As in, the fluid does not have to go back through the spool valve. The solenoid operated valve is centerline between the cab and right over the engine. My question is , can anyone tell me if they run in detent ( yellow light) and one way ( green light) at the same time so to reduce oil temp while using , say a mower or road broom? Thanks, I am new to this forum. I sold my Cat dozer with Brown tree cutter and now have a Takeuchi TL140. The adventure begins! Jim ( Belzona Guy) Pedro, Ohio PS, I have shop manual and early parts manual for free if it will help anyone. I can e mail them as pdf files.

Although I have had the TL250 for a while, I just got the High Flow Vail X85 Brush Cutter. Originally I could not get the Detent button to keep it spinning. After reversing the lines on the cutter, it worked fine. (Was having to hold B button to keep spinning, now A and Detent does the job) Kinda confused about the green button function (one way???) On the newer 250 when the green button is lit up will that cause better cooling of the fluid. With the yellow button on it seems to work the same whether green is on or not. My concern is how long is TOO long to use the detent, causing over heating of fluid.

Other question, does anyone have knowledge of Temp gauge kit that can be installed to verify fluid temp?

OP
OP
BigO-L3

BigO-L3

Not sure what happened to the 'subject'??? Mod, if you can attach it I would appreciate it!

Tazza

Staff member
Not sure what happened to the 'subject'??? Mod, if you can attach it I would appreciate it!
Ideally, there is no time limit you can run an attachment. The oil is meant to go back to the pump via the oil cooler, so it should never over heat.
Most machines do have an over temperature sensor, usually around the hydraulic filter. The path normally is pump, control valve, attachment, oil cooler, filter, pump. So if you wanted to install a temperature gauge for the oil, you'd want it around the filter if it is indeed after the oil cooler.

OP
OP
BigO-L3

BigO-L3

Ideally, there is no time limit you can run an attachment. The oil is meant to go back to the pump via the oil cooler, so it should never over heat.
Most machines do have an over temperature sensor, usually around the hydraulic filter. The path normally is pump, control valve, attachment, oil cooler, filter, pump. So if you wanted to install a temperature gauge for the oil, you'd want it around the filter if it is indeed after the oil cooler.
It is my understand from the manual, when in detent mode, the oil is one-way, and it warns to be watchful of over heating if ran too long in detent mode. No one seems to have any idea what too long is. Reading seems to indicate temps of less than 180 is max, without causing damage to seals, etc. I think newer machines may have hyd. fluid gauge, but the TL250 does not, nor any light for it in instrument panel. Any idea where I can get hyd. fluid temp gauge kit, or would a regular coolant gauge work? Takeuchi USA seems to have no knowledge of kit.

Tazza

Staff member
It is my understand from the manual, when in detent mode, the oil is one-way, and it warns to be watchful of over heating if ran too long in detent mode. No one seems to have any idea what too long is. Reading seems to indicate temps of less than 180 is max, without causing damage to seals, etc. I think newer machines may have hyd. fluid gauge, but the TL250 does not, nor any light for it in instrument panel. Any idea where I can get hyd. fluid temp gauge kit, or would a regular coolant gauge work? Takeuchi USA seems to have no knowledge of kit.
If they are talking about 180f, i guess a coolant gauge could do the trick as that is about what your cooling system should run.
For heat build up, it really depends on what you are running. If it is constantly bogging down so the oil runs over the relief, the oil will heat up quickly. If the attachment is a motor, i can see the same oil going around in a loop picking up more heat over time. If it has cylinders, like a backhoe the oil will increase and decrease, sending some back to the tank/cooler.
What i have done in the past was to feel how hot the quick couplers get, they can get hot, but not to the point there is a sizzle as you brush a finger past them. I was under the assumption that if you can hold on to them, for a few seconds it's ok, but if you can't, it's too hot.