TL130 - Blinking Battery and Bad Alternators

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

wmeyer116

I bought a mtl-16 a month ago with 2500 hrs, and it had a blinking battery light. Everything but he bucket float worked though. Alternator was tested and it was bad, so I got a new one, which fixed the blinking light and the blade float.

After about a week, maybe 8 hours of use, the light returned, and the float function stopped working. I tested the battery, and was bad, so I replaced it with a new one, but the light has not gone away, and I still don't have the float function. I tested the alternator output, and was getting 5.5 volts while running, which indicates the alternator is bad.

I'm wondering if something with the wiring is causing the issue, and that the battery and alternator are fine. I have little wiring knowledge, but with the machine on and off, I unplugged the alternator plug and tested the actual plug side (not alternator), and facing plug, the left has no voltage, the middle has 12.5 volts, and the right has 70mv. Is this normal? I have a new alternator to put in, but I don't want it to burn up as well if there is an underlying issue, or perhaps the one in there now isn't even bad?

OP
OP
W

wmeyer116

Update, I replaced the alternator, and I still am only getting 5.5 volts at the output. An ideas?

mrbb

are you using OEM alternator, or some china brand off places like Amazon?
you can take your alt's to a shop and have them do a test on them to rule out there being good or bad!
I know many have bought things and had them fail in short time, due to , well poor quality materials in the cheap alt's they sell
(buddy went thru 5 in one yr, all under warranty, but still lots of down time to have to keep replacing them)

so, it could be the alt your replacing that is , maybe part of your issue or all of it

same goes with a poor battery, if your battery is poor, , your alt, will be working over time to try and keep it charged, which will again shorten the life of al!
SO< I would make sure battery is load tested and confirmed to be good, not unheard of you buy a NEW battery and find its BAD(had this happen several times over the yrs)
, so for me, I would be making sure to rule out what you can, ALt and battery!

you can also, and a long shot here, maybe look at the fan belt and make sure its on correctly, heard of some folks putting them on wrong and it causing alt/charging issues!
next I would also be inspecting the power wires to things, to look for corrosion issue's or breaks/damage to insulation!
corroded wires, poor grounds, will cause poor voltage flow!

foton

I would think that when you turn the key on and machine not running you should have 12 volts at the alternator with a good battery, and go to 14.2 or so when running. Does the machine use a single wire type alt.? with maybe a smaller sense wire on it too?