Tipped F 873 straight up on nose , I may have fuel hydraulic lock

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Gypsycatfish

Tipped on over on bucket, engine would not shut off for about 30 sec after turning off the key, revved way up. It took me about 20 minutes to get a backhoe to tip it back down. After up righting it I tried to start it for a sec. It started to turn over, then stopped. I released the key at once, I am not 100 percent it stopped but did not want to take a chance Assuming the over rev, did no mechanical damage, how common is it to hydra lock? I plan to pull the injectors and turn over the engine to relieve the hydra loc. If there is mechanical damage I will have to deal with it. Any other suggestions out there. Any thing else I should do before I try restarting? Thanks

OP
OP
G

Gypsycatfish

If it has glow plugs in each cylinder I would pull them less chance of fire and have something there for that
Thanks Antfarmer for the heads up on the fire part. I did not think of the glow plugs but on this unit you have to press the switch for the plugs to glow so I am not sure that would be a problem but I will have fire extinguisher handy. I once put a gas can on the roof of a 50 ton crane with a big gas engine, I tried starting with no luck, I later came back and it was locked up. I took out the plugs and had a friend hit the starter, I was sprayed with about a quart of gasoline because the float was stuck and the tank was gravity feed from the roof. Thank goodness it did not fire or I would have been toast. Would removing the glow plugs do the same as removing the injectors. Yea, I should have waited, my head said wait but my adrenaline said " let's check it out". Just maybe I did not bend a rod or valve.

antfarmer2

Thanks Antfarmer for the heads up on the fire part. I did not think of the glow plugs but on this unit you have to press the switch for the plugs to glow so I am not sure that would be a problem but I will have fire extinguisher handy. I once put a gas can on the roof of a 50 ton crane with a big gas engine, I tried starting with no luck, I later came back and it was locked up. I took out the plugs and had a friend hit the starter, I was sprayed with about a quart of gasoline because the float was stuck and the tank was gravity feed from the roof. Thank goodness it did not fire or I would have been toast. Would removing the glow plugs do the same as removing the injectors. Yea, I should have waited, my head said wait but my adrenaline said " let's check it out". Just maybe I did not bend a rod or valve.
Hopeing you did not bend anything too and the removal of the glow plugs will let anything out and don't push the button lol

reaperman

You may have dodged a bullet. I saw this very thing happened once and the engine started burning the engine oil that leaked into the cylinders. There was no way to shut the machine off because of the endless supply of motor oil pouring in. The engine had no way to govern the incoming oil, so the motor was running wide open and smoking like a forest fire. After about a minute the engine finally blew.

antfarmer2

You may have dodged a bullet. I saw this very thing happened once and the engine started burning the engine oil that leaked into the cylinders. There was no way to shut the machine off because of the endless supply of motor oil pouring in. The engine had no way to govern the incoming oil, so the motor was running wide open and smoking like a forest fire. After about a minute the engine finally blew.
Not sure but think that has a timming belt could have damaged may be best to turn it by hand first

OP
OP
G

Gypsycatfish

Not sure but think that has a timming belt could have damaged may be best to turn it by hand first
I pulled the glow plugs so the oil in the cylinders could blow out and it blew about 4 or 5 feet. I turned it over and there were no sounds and had planned to do a compression check but could not get the gauge on with out pulling the fuel lines so I decided to try it. It started right up but there is still a lot of oil in the muffler to burn out. what I have learned is that when it is turned over the motor oil is getting to the cylinders so it over revs. I do not know what made mine die since it still had oil in the cylinders but I guess I was just lucky. Second do not try to start without removing either the injectors or glow plugs. Turn it over by hand if possible to make sure nothing was bent or out of time, if not by hand use starter but listen for noises. If I were do it over again I would find a way to turn it over by hand. Most of all be more careful so it does not turn over, and always wear your seat belt. Thanks for all the advice

Tazza

Staff member
I pulled the glow plugs so the oil in the cylinders could blow out and it blew about 4 or 5 feet. I turned it over and there were no sounds and had planned to do a compression check but could not get the gauge on with out pulling the fuel lines so I decided to try it. It started right up but there is still a lot of oil in the muffler to burn out. what I have learned is that when it is turned over the motor oil is getting to the cylinders so it over revs. I do not know what made mine die since it still had oil in the cylinders but I guess I was just lucky. Second do not try to start without removing either the injectors or glow plugs. Turn it over by hand if possible to make sure nothing was bent or out of time, if not by hand use starter but listen for noises. If I were do it over again I would find a way to turn it over by hand. Most of all be more careful so it does not turn over, and always wear your seat belt. Thanks for all the advice
Glad it was ok.
My S150 was in the same boat, it was on it's side and had oil in the cylinders.
Make sure you change the air filters as they may have oil in them too. Over time, the oil should be drawn in and burnt up.
The only possible concern is the turbo, but deal with that if you need to.

antfarmer2

Glad it was ok.
My S150 was in the same boat, it was on it's side and had oil in the cylinders.
Make sure you change the air filters as they may have oil in them too. Over time, the oil should be drawn in and burnt up.
The only possible concern is the turbo, but deal with that if you need to.
I am glad all was ok too next time you want to go head first find a better target lmao