Thomas T243HDS

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kroog

Here is the machine with new oversize tires. They have 44/32" tread depth and bite great. The machine is a Monster.
011-1.jpg picture by thekroog

013-1.jpg picture by thekroog

OP
OP
K

kroog

Does anyone else out there own a T243?
I have only seen 1 other come up for sale in the past year and am wondering what other owners can tell me of their experience with the Thomas.
Thank you,
Monte

Sam_French

Does anyone else out there own a T243?
I have only seen 1 other come up for sale in the past year and am wondering what other owners can tell me of their experience with the Thomas.
Thank you,
Monte
That is a nice machine. Could you give some information on the tires? What is the machine used for? I only have heard good things about Thomas. Have a nice day. Sam

OP
OP
K

kroog

That is a nice machine. Could you give some information on the tires? What is the machine used for? I only have heard good things about Thomas. Have a nice day. Sam
Sam,
I recapped the tires with Bandags. The tires were foam filled when I bought the machine, but were almost bald. You should be able to get similar caps at most tire recappers. They are expensive though. The tread is similar to a wheel loader tire. We use the Thomas for snow removal and light dirt work around the house. It has 1900 hrs and has never given me a bit of trouble. Only 3 things I can find with it are 1. Slow tilt function-I'm still working on finding if it has an orifice restriction in a line. 2. The aux hyds don't work-found we have a short or open in the circuit, but haven't isolated it yet. 3. The deutz engine works flawlessly, but is cold-blooded below 15 degrees-I have a magnetic oil pan heater, but it needs more. Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Monte

Sam_French

Sam,
I recapped the tires with Bandags. The tires were foam filled when I bought the machine, but were almost bald. You should be able to get similar caps at most tire recappers. They are expensive though. The tread is similar to a wheel loader tire. We use the Thomas for snow removal and light dirt work around the house. It has 1900 hrs and has never given me a bit of trouble. Only 3 things I can find with it are 1. Slow tilt function-I'm still working on finding if it has an orifice restriction in a line. 2. The aux hyds don't work-found we have a short or open in the circuit, but haven't isolated it yet. 3. The deutz engine works flawlessly, but is cold-blooded below 15 degrees-I have a magnetic oil pan heater, but it needs more. Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Monte
Monte The Deutz engines BC used ran timing belts that had to be replaced every 1000 hours. Might be worth looking into. They also said the ran circles around the Kubota engines ;) I wish I could help you more. Have a nice day. Sam

OP
OP
K

kroog

Monte The Deutz engines BC used ran timing belts that had to be replaced every 1000 hours. Might be worth looking into. They also said the ran circles around the Kubota engines ;) I wish I could help you more. Have a nice day. Sam
Sam,
Thanks for the info. I will call the local Deutz dealer and check. I love the Deutz-don't have to worry about coolant electrolysis eating holes in the engine/cooling system. It is VERY cold blooded below 20 degrees F. Any suggestions for a block heater?
Thank you,
Monte

skidsteer.ca

Sam,
Thanks for the info. I will call the local Deutz dealer and check. I love the Deutz-don't have to worry about coolant electrolysis eating holes in the engine/cooling system. It is VERY cold blooded below 20 degrees F. Any suggestions for a block heater?
Thank you,
Monte
0-40 engine oil,
2 oil pan heaters. Tarp the machine up. Not much else you can do with a oil cooled machine,
Ken

OP
OP
K

kroog

0-40 engine oil,
2 oil pan heaters. Tarp the machine up. Not much else you can do with a oil cooled machine,
Ken
Thanks for the suggestion.
I keep it in the shed and have one pan heater. I have always used synthetic Rotella per the manual. Any other suggestions for Duetz engine owners?
Thanks,
Kroog

OP
OP
K

kroog

Thanks for the suggestion.
I keep it in the shed and have one pan heater. I have always used synthetic Rotella per the manual. Any other suggestions for Duetz engine owners?
Thanks,
Kroog
I finally found the answer to an engine heater for the Deutz oil-cooled engines.
3M makes a silicone pad with heat strips in it. It has an adhesive back. You just clean the oil pan and sitck it on with some hi temp RTV around the edges.
They come in 50-1000 watt range and work wonderfully.