Thomas 205. Grapple won’t close in cold weather.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Ticostree

This is my fist skid steer. I noticed the grapple won't open or close in cold weather. Hi 30s and down. After I run it a good while it will start working again. Is it just a matter of warming up. Or a sign of things to come?

Tazza

Staff member
Being so close to freezing, i wonder if you have moisture or water in the spring area of the control block? if it turns to ice, it will stop it moving. Could it be as simple as that?
As the machine warms up, it will melt, making things move
Is it a mechanical or electrical control to operate the aux hydraulics?

OP
OP
T

Ticostree

Being so close to freezing, i wonder if you have moisture or water in the spring area of the control block? if it turns to ice, it will stop it moving. Could it be as simple as that?
As the machine warms up, it will melt, making things move
Is it a mechanical or electrical control to operate the aux hydraulics?
I have a electric rocker switch on my left drive lever.

Tazza

Staff member
I have a electric rocker switch on my left drive lever.
I don't know the setup of this machine, but Bobcat use small coils on the control block to move an internal spool back and forth. Something might be sticky, and it needs to warm up before working right. You could always take the spool out and ensure it's all free to move, then you have the control stems that make the fluid move. The onles i have worked on were mean to not be albe to be worked on, but i got them open and cleaned the internals out and have worked great ever since.

OP
OP
T

Ticostree

I don't know the setup of this machine, but Bobcat use small coils on the control block to move an internal spool back and forth. Something might be sticky, and it needs to warm up before working right. You could always take the spool out and ensure it's all free to move, then you have the control stems that make the fluid move. The onles i have worked on were mean to not be albe to be worked on, but i got them open and cleaned the internals out and have worked great ever since.
Even in the summer the grapple sometimes won't work. If I have to toggle switch as I'm raising and lowering the boom or curling, And the grapple flow starts up again. It'll stay like that for a good while. But if I stop using the grapple for 30 minutes I'll have to jiggle the other functions to get the grapple to work again. Now in the colder weather I have to warm up the fluid a lot to get it to flow through the grapple . The grapple opens and closes very slowly. And if I stop using the grapple for a few seconds, I'll lose the third function again very quickly.

Tazza

Staff member
Even in the summer the grapple sometimes won't work. If I have to toggle switch as I'm raising and lowering the boom or curling, And the grapple flow starts up again. It'll stay like that for a good while. But if I stop using the grapple for 30 minutes I'll have to jiggle the other functions to get the grapple to work again. Now in the colder weather I have to warm up the fluid a lot to get it to flow through the grapple . The grapple opens and closes very slowly. And if I stop using the grapple for a few seconds, I'll lose the third function again very quickly.
If it was me, i'd suspect the issue is the spool in the control block, make sure everything is moving freely. Then check/clean the stems that control the spool. The jiggling of the other functions could be giving pressure spikes making the spool move from it's stuck position.
These parts have really fine tollerences, so the cold could make them shring and bind, a little crud in the system could make it bind. The hardest part is finding the cause.

kroog

If it was me, i'd suspect the issue is the spool in the control block, make sure everything is moving freely. Then check/clean the stems that control the spool. The jiggling of the other functions could be giving pressure spikes making the spool move from it's stuck position.
These parts have really fine tollerences, so the cold could make them shring and bind, a little crud in the system could make it bind. The hardest part is finding the cause.
Your electronic solenoid is made by GW LISK. I had one on my T243HDS. It is 2 way electro-magnetic. As they get old, they get weak.

OP
OP
T

Ticostree

Your electronic solenoid is made by GW LISK. I had one on my T243HDS. It is 2 way electro-magnetic. As they get old, they get weak.
Thanks for the help. Where did you get your replacement part? I'll look for a part number.