Thomas 173HL II, stalled and will not start.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Thomas173

My Thomas 173 stalled and now it will not start. 2200 hours on the machine. 135 hours on the fuel filter. I opened the fuel injectors one at a time and tried to start the motor. No fuel at 3 of the injectors. Fuel at 1 injector.

BigOlThomas

Hi , I had a similar frustrating experience last week, very happy to get the T173 going again. 1 - Make sure Diesel tank has enough fuel 2 - Bleed air from the fuel filter (you will find a screw at the top of the filter that you need to loosen to get the air out . Be sure to remember to tighten the screw after bleeding the air out. 3 -see if you can buy a rubber bulb fuel primer and install it on the line from the fuel filter to the fuel pump part of the line. 4 with the injectors loosened, squeeze the rubber bulb fuel primer until the bulb was hard to squeeze with the hand. This will force the air through the injectors, then tighten the injectors. The machine should start after this. https://www.google.ca/search?q=rubber+bulb+fuel+primer&rlz=1C1QJDA_enCA764CA764&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiV2omsnJzXAhWL6YMKHaQuCp0Q_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=637&safe=active&ssui=on

OP
OP
T

Thomas173

Hi , I had a similar frustrating experience last week, very happy to get the T173 going again. 1 - Make sure Diesel tank has enough fuel 2 - Bleed air from the fuel filter (you will find a screw at the top of the filter that you need to loosen to get the air out . Be sure to remember to tighten the screw after bleeding the air out. 3 -see if you can buy a rubber bulb fuel primer and install it on the line from the fuel filter to the fuel pump part of the line. 4 with the injectors loosened, squeeze the rubber bulb fuel primer until the bulb was hard to squeeze with the hand. This will force the air through the injectors, then tighten the injectors. The machine should start after this. https://www.google.ca/search?q=rubber+bulb+fuel+primer&rlz=1C1QJDA_enCA764CA764&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiV2omsnJzXAhWL6YMKHaQuCp0Q_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=637&safe=active&ssui=on
A great idea. 3/8" primer bulbs are easy to buy. I assume the T173 fuel line is 3/8".

BigOlThomas

A great idea. 3/8" primer bulbs are easy to buy. I assume the T173 fuel line is 3/8".
Yes, got it at Canadian Tire and I bought 2 sizes 3/8 and 1/4 and used the 3/8 on my fuel line. Cut the line and insert it, I used two of those metal ring clamps that you clamp to the rubber line. Squeezed the bulb until it got really hard and fuel was coming from the injector that I had loosened. That did the trick. Good luck..

OP
OP
T

Thomas173

Yes, got it at Canadian Tire and I bought 2 sizes 3/8 and 1/4 and used the 3/8 on my fuel line. Cut the line and insert it, I used two of those metal ring clamps that you clamp to the rubber line. Squeezed the bulb until it got really hard and fuel was coming from the injector that I had loosened. That did the trick. Good luck..
Installed the primer bulb not it didn't do the trick. Must be some fuel issue after the fuel filter as I put in a new fuel filter and it filled with fuel on its own but no fuel to the injections via the primer bulb.