THOMAS 1720

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

DANNP

Hello I just bought a thomas 1720 skid steer and am looking for some info if anyone can help. I know it is a 1720 but have no idea what year or how to find out. I would also like to find some specs on this model . A service manual would be nice if anyone knows where i could get one. I am new to skid steers but I have worked on all different types of machinery . any info would be appreciated thanks dannp.

skidsteer.ca

A guy that goes by maxxwedge on ebay has several manual, not sure on your Thomas, but you can check with them and the dealers. How old do you think it is?
Ken

OP
OP
D

DANNP

A guy that goes by maxxwedge on ebay has several manual, not sure on your Thomas, but you can check with them and the dealers. How old do you think it is?
Ken
Thanks for the info . Not really sure of the year but I saw a thomas 2250 for sale that looked identical and it was a 1991 , so around there some where . I can post pictures if it would help.

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for the info . Not really sure of the year but I saw a thomas 2250 for sale that looked identical and it was a 1991 , so around there some where . I can post pictures if it would help.
Sure put up some pics, it would be a great reference for other Thomas owners.
Ken

OP
OP
D

DANNP

I posted some pics in a new album ( dannp 1720 thomas ) if anyone knows the year or how to find out thanks . I did look at maxxwedge but only found Bobcat manuals , also checked out ssbtractors but only newer models have e-mailed them waiting for response.

skidsteer.ca

I posted some pics in a new album ( dannp 1720 thomas ) if anyone knows the year or how to find out thanks . I did look at maxxwedge but only found Bobcat manuals , also checked out ssbtractors but only newer models have e-mailed them waiting for response.
PIC_0009.JPG

PIC_0010.JPG

PIC_0011.JPG

PIC_0012.JPG

PIC_0014.JPG

Just open up a second browser window and go to your picture in"Media" then "photo" , openthe folder and your picture up so it is full size "right click" it and select "copy"
Then go back to your 1st browser window of skidsteerforum web page, click "reply" and paste your photo in the reply box (where you type)
If you have more then one picture, go back to the photo section, open the second image copy and paste back in the reply box. Be sure to hit the enter key after you paste each photo, or the picture will be to the right of the first photo and the reply goes way off the right hand side of the screen.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Just open up a second browser window and go to your picture in"Media" then "photo" , openthe folder and your picture up so it is full size "right click" it and select "copy"
Then go back to your 1st browser window of skidsteerforum web page, click "reply" and paste your photo in the reply box (where you type)
If you have more then one picture, go back to the photo section, open the second image copy and paste back in the reply box. Be sure to hit the enter key after you paste each photo, or the picture will be to the right of the first photo and the reply goes way off the right hand side of the screen.
Ken
Love the seat!!
The machine looks pretty clean too. If anyone whines about they tyres tell them to go away, i had tyres like that on my 731, was PERFECT for compacting dirt. I was working in my driveway filling it with road base and using the tyres to compact it. I didn't notice a traction problem either, but in mud you will slide a bit.
Congrats on the machine!

OP
OP
D

DANNP

Love the seat!!
The machine looks pretty clean too. If anyone whines about they tyres tell them to go away, i had tyres like that on my 731, was PERFECT for compacting dirt. I was working in my driveway filling it with road base and using the tyres to compact it. I didn't notice a traction problem either, but in mud you will slide a bit.
Congrats on the machine!
Got a better seat now ha ha covered it with a garbage bag . I am going to get a new one probably from princess auto maybe a suspension seat. I also have three more tires with a little more tread but they need tubs too many screw holes. question does anyone know what the four tabs are for on the front of the skid steer , just behind the loader , they are attached to the frame and look like something set down in them like an attachment . I also need to put weight on the back to be able to pick up a little more , the loader will pick it up but the rear tires come off the ground only not sure just how much to put on it . The 1720 from my guess is made to pick up 1700 lbs and had a 20 h.p. engine .

OP
OP
D

DANNP

Thanks skidsteer.ca for posting my pics and for the lesson on posting pics appreciate it.

skidsteer.ca

Thanks skidsteer.ca for posting my pics and for the lesson on posting pics appreciate it.
No problem.
If you ever want a standardized bucket quick attach for your loader, I have one here that needs a home. Then you could use the all the modern attachments that interchange with all the newer loaders.
Ken

OP
OP
D

DANNP

No problem.
If you ever want a standardized bucket quick attach for your loader, I have one here that needs a home. Then you could use the all the modern attachments that interchange with all the newer loaders.
Ken
Mine has a quick attach but you said standardized are there different quick attaches?

skidsteer.ca

Mine has a quick attach but you said standardized are there different quick attaches?
Bobcat pioneered and patented the standard system 30 years ago, that have been used on all the loader brands built in the last 10 years or so, (since their patend ran out) as a result many older loaders use their own oddball QA. Some early loaders did not even have a QA.
If you don't plan to have many attachments, or want to buy, rent or borrow, then a non standard QA is fine.
However imo the skidsteer concept really started to fly when the patent ran out and any Joe attachment manufacturer that had a good idea could build one attachment and sell it to someone with any brand of loader, because now they were all the same.
We are in the process of converting one of our farm tractors right now from the terribly sloppy Allied QA with 2 loose pins to lock the bottom to skidsteer.
I'm not sure at what point Thomas switched to the standard, or yours may have been updated to. But I don't think it was from the factory. And it may not be important to you, I just want you to know there is the option.
Ken

OP
OP
D

DANNP

Bobcat pioneered and patented the standard system 30 years ago, that have been used on all the loader brands built in the last 10 years or so, (since their patend ran out) as a result many older loaders use their own oddball QA. Some early loaders did not even have a QA.
If you don't plan to have many attachments, or want to buy, rent or borrow, then a non standard QA is fine.
However imo the skidsteer concept really started to fly when the patent ran out and any Joe attachment manufacturer that had a good idea could build one attachment and sell it to someone with any brand of loader, because now they were all the same.
We are in the process of converting one of our farm tractors right now from the terribly sloppy Allied QA with 2 loose pins to lock the bottom to skidsteer.
I'm not sure at what point Thomas switched to the standard, or yours may have been updated to. But I don't think it was from the factory. And it may not be important to you, I just want you to know there is the option.
Ken
Thank for the info mine has two square pins in the bottom on either side and a 45 degree plate at the top it is well worn if this is not the standard model how does it work ?

skidsteer.ca

Thomastech

Sounds like yours may already be the SAE standard. See links.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/build-yourself/91630d1197863888-skid-steer-quick-attach-plate-406928-foo.jpg 87 kbs

75291d1177387373-here-universal-attachment-mount-specification-sae_j2513.pdf 500kbs
Ken
You can go on www.thomasloaders.com and go to the contact us link and from there you can inquire about what ever you need to know about your machine. They keep records and manuals on all the machines they have ever built.

krunchkat99

You can go on www.thomasloaders.com and go to the contact us link and from there you can inquire about what ever you need to know about your machine. They keep records and manuals on all the machines they have ever built.
Looks very similar to one I used to have. Was told it was late 70's to early 80's. Had a 4 cyl. wisconsin gas engine. Mine was a model 1710.

Beeman

Looks very similar to one I used to have. Was told it was late 70's to early 80's. Had a 4 cyl. wisconsin gas engine. Mine was a model 1710.
I just bought a 1710 that looks exactly the same, except that the owners painted it john deer green. I was told mine was a 78. http://forum.opmachines.com/download/file.php?id=293&t=1