This one is for the experts... 642 pump problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jberndt

This is one for you experts.. This is the history of what I've done and tried to do. I have a 642 that had a broken input shaft into the hydraulic pump. Everything worked fine when the shaft broke. I replaced the shaft and am fairly confident that I put it together correctly. Now the machine won't move. All other hydraulics work fine. If you stand in front of the skid loader and look at the pump, there are 3 hoses on the left (as you look toward the rear). I took the first two hoses loose and removed the micro filter and cleaned it. The left side only drive motor worked for about 5 minutes and then quit. The right side never did work. It seems that if I take the hoses loose and then put them back on the left side will work for a few minutes. Things I checked: the keyways are OK. There is plenty of hydraulic oil in the system. I believe that it's not getting enough oil pressure to the hydraulic motors. Do you think it could be the cold weather bypass valve? Or the neutral bypass valve? I'm stumped! Help!

Tazza

Staff member
Ok, so you needed to pull the pump down to replace the shaft. What locked up to cause the shaft to break in the first place? I'm just wondering if there is a problem with your rotating groups that caused the problem at the start.
Did you keep both pumps separate? so you didn't mix the parts up?
If you are getting hydraulic pressure there is nothing wrong with the shaft between the u-joints to the hydraulic pump that is the final pump in the line so thats all good, its not a shaft issue.
You re-connected all the hoses to the rite places? its almost like you aren't getting any charge pressure to the rotating groups. I can't see it being your valves as the chances of all 4 going bad at once? thats so unlikely!

bobcat1505

Ok, so you needed to pull the pump down to replace the shaft. What locked up to cause the shaft to break in the first place? I'm just wondering if there is a problem with your rotating groups that caused the problem at the start.
Did you keep both pumps separate? so you didn't mix the parts up?
If you are getting hydraulic pressure there is nothing wrong with the shaft between the u-joints to the hydraulic pump that is the final pump in the line so thats all good, its not a shaft issue.
You re-connected all the hoses to the rite places? its almost like you aren't getting any charge pressure to the rotating groups. I can't see it being your valves as the chances of all 4 going bad at once? thats so unlikely!
fyi if you are running a vane pump hope you left the shaft loose if you tightened it up and then slid coupler on it will fail. the front fitting in the port block has a charge bypass valve under it if it is damaged or there is something holding it open ie a piece of metal it will cause problems.
am dealing with fishfiles on anouther item sent him some flow charts for this machine i am not smart enough to figure out how to post it.

OP
OP
J

jberndt

fyi if you are running a vane pump hope you left the shaft loose if you tightened it up and then slid coupler on it will fail. the front fitting in the port block has a charge bypass valve under it if it is damaged or there is something holding it open ie a piece of metal it will cause problems.
am dealing with fishfiles on anouther item sent him some flow charts for this machine i am not smart enough to figure out how to post it.
When you say the front of the port block, are you talking about the end towards the motor? I'm going to take that loose tomorrow and pull the valve out and clean it. If you want to send me a file, send it to [email protected] Thanks for your help and suggestions.