Testing auxiliary control module on 853C

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mredden

Does anybody know how i could test a auxiliary control mondule on a 853c?Im trying to see if its getting power in and sendin it back out..

Tazza

Staff member
Do the lights lite up on the dash when you press the button? When you operate the thumb switch, do you get power at the coils?
That's the easiest way to test it.

OP
OP
M

mredden

Do the lights lite up on the dash when you press the button? When you operate the thumb switch, do you get power at the coils?
That's the easiest way to test it.
Yes the lights come on when i push the aux button but solonoids dont do anything

Tazza

Staff member
Yes the lights come on when i push the aux button but solonoids dont do anything
Can you measure if there is voltage at the connectors to the coils?
If that fails, can you trace the wires back to the control module? see if there is power at the coil outputs there?
What about if you press the trigger, see if you get power to one of the coils. The coils can and do burn out. The switches in the handles can go bad too. If you can work out what wires are for the thumb switch, you can jump them too, see if you get power to a coil.
You really need a wiring diagram to help trace it. The wires are numbered, it will make it so much easier.

mrfixitpaul

Can you measure if there is voltage at the connectors to the coils?
If that fails, can you trace the wires back to the control module? see if there is power at the coil outputs there?
What about if you press the trigger, see if you get power to one of the coils. The coils can and do burn out. The switches in the handles can go bad too. If you can work out what wires are for the thumb switch, you can jump them too, see if you get power to a coil.
You really need a wiring diagram to help trace it. The wires are numbered, it will make it so much easier.
Be careful....some of the coils are only designed for 10 volts.
Also the thumb switch is probably proportional control, not just on-off, which would change the resistance through the switch....sorry I don't have the specs but someone may have a service manual that shows the specs and maybe how to troubleshoot??
Checking for voltage at the coils may of may not work, as if it is proportional control it uses pulse width modulation and may not show voltage on a meter due to the pulsing.
When I used to work for the dealer, I would troubleshoot by swapping out parts one by one until the culprit was found....not an option in this case. I only had a couple of modules go bad...usually was a bad coil or switch handle.

OP
OP
M

mredden

Be careful....some of the coils are only designed for 10 volts.
Also the thumb switch is probably proportional control, not just on-off, which would change the resistance through the switch....sorry I don't have the specs but someone may have a service manual that shows the specs and maybe how to troubleshoot??
Checking for voltage at the coils may of may not work, as if it is proportional control it uses pulse width modulation and may not show voltage on a meter due to the pulsing.
When I used to work for the dealer, I would troubleshoot by swapping out parts one by one until the culprit was found....not an option in this case. I only had a couple of modules go bad...usually was a bad coil or switch handle.
It started when i went to use grapple for the first time since i bought my bobcat a year ago.Aux light comes on when i push the button but nothin at all would happen.So i was told to check the solanoids and the 2 that my book said were the aux was both workin but there was another solanoid that was in this small box mouted on the main frame on the right hand side with a few hyd lines comein off it goin to control valve.The solanoid in there was burnt out so bad the plastic cover over the coil just fell apart and the coils were fried.That solinoid was also a little bigger than the other 2.The guy at the dealer said that just had something to do with the tilt and i had told him when i first got the bob cat i presure washed the whole thing and he said thats the reason my aux dont work because that control module got wet and shorted out.I ordered the solonoid and it wont be in till monday so im goin to put it in just to see by some luckey chance it fixes it before i spend that kind of money on a control module.So what your sayin is i need to check my thumb switch?

OP
OP
M

mredden

It started when i went to use grapple for the first time since i bought my bobcat a year ago.Aux light comes on when i push the button but nothin at all would happen.So i was told to check the solanoids and the 2 that my book said were the aux was both workin but there was another solanoid that was in this small box mouted on the main frame on the right hand side with a few hyd lines comein off it goin to control valve.The solanoid in there was burnt out so bad the plastic cover over the coil just fell apart and the coils were fried.That solinoid was also a little bigger than the other 2.The guy at the dealer said that just had something to do with the tilt and i had told him when i first got the bob cat i presure washed the whole thing and he said thats the reason my aux dont work because that control module got wet and shorted out.I ordered the solonoid and it wont be in till monday so im goin to put it in just to see by some luckey chance it fixes it before i spend that kind of money on a control module.So what your sayin is i need to check my thumb switch?
And one more thing my up and down and tilt worked fine so i dont see how that could be a tilt solanoid.When i told the guy at bob cat that it was workin fine he just looked puzled and he really wasnt much help.Ive learned more by reading u guys post on here than tryin to talk to that guy he seemed as lost as me

skidsteer.ca

And one more thing my up and down and tilt worked fine so i dont see how that could be a tilt solanoid.When i told the guy at bob cat that it was workin fine he just looked puzled and he really wasnt much help.Ive learned more by reading u guys post on here than tryin to talk to that guy he seemed as lost as me
My 853 the culprit was a broken will coming out of the bottom of the rh steering lever. It bends the harness repeatedly they as that lever goes from forward to reverse again and again.
But with mine lights wuld be on for a minute or two then begin a flash sequence,at which which point the aux hyd would kick off
Ken

OP
OP
M

mredden

My 853 the culprit was a broken will coming out of the bottom of the rh steering lever. It bends the harness repeatedly they as that lever goes from forward to reverse again and again.
But with mine lights wuld be on for a minute or two then begin a flash sequence,at which which point the aux hyd would kick off
Ken
I feel that im getting alot closer to whatever the problem is.Ive got a manual that has the wiring diagram in the back so in the morning im goin to jump back into it aiming at the thumb switch and the control modual.Thank yall for getting me this far.Yall have been alot of help to me..

Latest posts