T190 help removing plugs in outer hub

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

grump

I have the track off of my 04 t190 and decided to service the the outer hub bearing oil. went by my dealer and picked up the oil and was pleasantly surprised at the cheaper price of $20 for oil .At the suggestion of the parts man at the counter I also picked up new plugs as he assured me I would probably be back, he was right they are now both stripped out. Since this seems to be common how do you remove the plugs that are stripped out?

Iowa Dave

I've had 4 T-190's and have never has a plug that I couldn't remove. We work on my stuff in the winter, so I'm trying to remember all the way to last winter, which is a stretch for me, but I'm pretty sure there are 2 plugs per side.... By "stripped" , do you mean the Allen wrench slips on the rounded inner shoulders of the plug? I wouldn't drill them out until I had exhausted every single possibility-- you get some filings in there and you'll wish you hadn't even serviced them. I'd carefully apply some heat to the casting around the plug, and then try to pound in a metric Allen wrench that is slightly oversized, and if that doesn't work, I'd try to back the plug out with a little chisel-- anything but putting metal shavings in there!! I have changed the oil in every hub in every machine i have ever had annually and have never had a drive motor failure, maybe its coincidence but i doubt it. Ithink my earliest one was a 2006, maybe the 2004's are different. If so, I aplogize.

SkidRoe

I have seen and used some special stubby, tapered easy-outs to remove stripped socket head bolts. Worked great.

7LBSSMALLIE

I have seen and used some special stubby, tapered easy-outs to remove stripped socket head bolts. Worked great.
drive motor plug removal;; prior to rounding/out. a quick heat with brazing tip. think its a 4mm, allen socket one smack on an impact driver, busts em loose without stripping it, i go back with a dab of permatex #2, never had an issue, as to getting stripped ones out, good luck . be a good time for old m to chime in.

7LBSSMALLIE

drive motor plug removal;; prior to rounding/out. a quick heat with brazing tip. think its a 4mm, allen socket one smack on an impact driver, busts em loose without stripping it, i go back with a dab of permatex #2, never had an issue, as to getting stripped ones out, good luck . be a good time for old m to chime in.
and by the way guys sounds like a pain but well worth doing . if was an owner doing my own maint. especialy now that oil is priced reasonable. i would take the time on PM to drop tracks complete clean out including removal of teninsoer, and doing oil in motors (rain day anyway) make it productive, it will teach juilo how to care for machine, gives a stake in keeping a nice machine nice, and a half days pay, owenership in youre investment, might be overkill but 3500 a pop, drive motor maint is cheap. couple of tricks for track removal. no wait will post in tips and tricks,,