T190 Auxiliary Hydraulic Failure

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Philosaw

I recently rebuilt the lift and tilt spools on my 2003 T190 with foot controls and 2600 hrs.. I managed to get about 3 hours work in before a new problem developed. When operating the clam shell on my 4 in 1 bucket, the cylinder lifted, but wouldn't close. I also have a tilt plate behind the 4 in 1 which operates fine. My first thought was that it might be a loose wire, but when I looked to see, I saw that there was a significant oil leak which appeared to come from the lift spool, though it's a little tough to see with the mirror. I'm wondering if it could be the auxiliary spool that's leaking and if there's a possibility that the leaking would prevent the closing of the clam shell cylinder? Also, I find it hard to believe that the lift spool would be leaking since the rebuild went very easily with absolutely no problems, since the valve was mostly out of the machine and easily worked. Also, I'm positive that I didn't install the seals backwards. Frustrated in Philo!

Bobcatdan

It your tilt plate functions fine both ways with the aux, the problem is with the 4 in 1, not the skidsteer. As for your vavle leak. It could be leaking past the stud in the end of the spool. There is a tiny plug and o ring under the stud. If the stud is tight, I never bother with them, but do if the stud is loose.

OP
OP
P

Philosaw

It your tilt plate functions fine both ways with the aux, the problem is with the 4 in 1, not the skidsteer. As for your vavle leak. It could be leaking past the stud in the end of the spool. There is a tiny plug and o ring under the stud. If the stud is tight, I never bother with them, but do if the stud is loose.
Thanks BCD! I'll have to see if I can get a better look at the leak before I pull the valve. As for the bucket, I don't get how it could be the bucket itself. When I operate it on open, I hear the machine lug slightly when it reaches full open, but when I try to close, there is no sound whatsoever. When I turn the machine off using the pressure relief switch, the bucket closes. To me it seems that the fluid is flowing in only one direction. The bucket cylinder has only the piston o rings, so I would think that if it went one direction with strength and no apparent blow-by, that it should work in the opposite direction which would tell me that the fluid isn't getting to the top of the cylinder. What would prevent it from getting there? The quick connects? and if them, wouldn't I hear the machine struggle against a dead-head? Am I wrong in that line of thinking?

SkidRoe

Thanks BCD! I'll have to see if I can get a better look at the leak before I pull the valve. As for the bucket, I don't get how it could be the bucket itself. When I operate it on open, I hear the machine lug slightly when it reaches full open, but when I try to close, there is no sound whatsoever. When I turn the machine off using the pressure relief switch, the bucket closes. To me it seems that the fluid is flowing in only one direction. The bucket cylinder has only the piston o rings, so I would think that if it went one direction with strength and no apparent blow-by, that it should work in the opposite direction which would tell me that the fluid isn't getting to the top of the cylinder. What would prevent it from getting there? The quick connects? and if them, wouldn't I hear the machine struggle against a dead-head? Am I wrong in that line of thinking?
On your 4-in-1 bucket, do the cylinders extend to open or extend to close?
If it is extend to open, pressurizing both port on a hydraulic cylinder simultaneously will cause it to extend. So it could be a valve/electrical problem on the attachment. Hope that makes sense.
I tend to agree with Dan that your machine hydraulics are fine, as your tilt function is working fine.
HTH - SR

Bobcatdan

On your 4-in-1 bucket, do the cylinders extend to open or extend to close?
If it is extend to open, pressurizing both port on a hydraulic cylinder simultaneously will cause it to extend. So it could be a valve/electrical problem on the attachment. Hope that makes sense.
I tend to agree with Dan that your machine hydraulics are fine, as your tilt function is working fine.
HTH - SR
How are you running a 4 in 1 and a tilt plate at the same time? You must have a diverter vavle between the the two?

OP
OP
P

Philosaw

How are you running a 4 in 1 and a tilt plate at the same time? You must have a diverter vavle between the the two?
Hi, sorry it took so long to reply, I'm on the west coast and just got in from working on removing the valve, or at least rotating it so the spools can be removed. In answer to your questions, the clam opens on ram retraction and it is controlled with the right hand left-right toggle, while the tilt is controlled by the same on the left.

OP
OP
P

Philosaw

Hi, sorry it took so long to reply, I'm on the west coast and just got in from working on removing the valve, or at least rotating it so the spools can be removed. In answer to your questions, the clam opens on ram retraction and it is controlled with the right hand left-right toggle, while the tilt is controlled by the same on the left.
Also, I'm not sure how the calving works yet. I can't figure it out from the shop manual or the parts book, so I'm going to have to trace the hoses and see where they lead me.

Bobcatdan

Also, I'm not sure how the calving works yet. I can't figure it out from the shop manual or the parts book, so I'm going to have to trace the hoses and see where they lead me.
So there must be a diverter vavle. Your problem is one of three things. Vavle sticking in the diverter. Bad wiring to the diverter. Or the switch in the handle is bad.

OP
OP
P

Philosaw

So there must be a diverter vavle. Your problem is one of three things. Vavle sticking in the diverter. Bad wiring to the diverter. Or the switch in the handle is bad.
Yes, that makes sense. There are two hydraulic units in the machine which I have never identified. I've always thought they had something to do with the laser controlled bucket that the previous owner had. I'll dive in and take a look later today. Thanks for your help once again Dan.

OP
OP
P

Philosaw

Yes, that makes sense. There are two hydraulic units in the machine which I have never identified. I've always thought they had something to do with the laser controlled bucket that the previous owner had. I'll dive in and take a look later today. Thanks for your help once again Dan.
I just found that the cap on the end of the auxiliary spool was missing a screw and was open by 1/16". I'm 99% sure that it's the leak, but could it be the bucket problem as well?

Bobcatdan

I just found that the cap on the end of the auxiliary spool was missing a screw and was open by 1/16". I'm 99% sure that it's the leak, but could it be the bucket problem as well?
Doubt thats your function problem. Since your tilt tach works fine, we know the aux work fine. If its a machine side problem, I pretty sure its a bad thumb switch on the right side.

OP
OP
P

Philosaw

Doubt thats your function problem. Since your tilt tach works fine, we know the aux work fine. If its a machine side problem, I pretty sure its a bad thumb switch on the right side.
Ok, back together and fired it up. Good news: no leaks...yet. Bad news: the traction light is flashing and the machine won't move. I noticed it did that earlier when I turned the key on to remove the spool locking block from the valve and figured it was because I had a bunch of plugs undone, but now they're all back and it's still flashing. I looked in the shop manual and the machine docs and couldn't find a clue. Anyone have an idea?

Bobcatdan

Ok, back together and fired it up. Good news: no leaks...yet. Bad news: the traction light is flashing and the machine won't move. I noticed it did that earlier when I turned the key on to remove the spool locking block from the valve and figured it was because I had a bunch of plugs undone, but now they're all back and it's still flashing. I looked in the shop manual and the machine docs and couldn't find a clue. Anyone have an idea?
Service codes? Blinks are also codes, count blinks. Could be as simple as brake relay. Brake vavle not plugged in or solenoid fell off the vavle. Since it sees a problem, its electrical. Possible rpm sensor, but I don't think so in your case.

OP
OP
P

Philosaw

Service codes? Blinks are also codes, count blinks. Could be as simple as brake relay. Brake vavle not plugged in or solenoid fell off the vavle. Since it sees a problem, its electrical. Possible rpm sensor, but I don't think so in your case.
The blinks are slow and steady, never pausing. I'll keep looking! Thanks.

OP
OP
P

Philosaw

The blinks are slow and steady, never pausing. I'll keep looking! Thanks.
Single blink is traction lock hold circuit is open. I checked voltage at the solenoids and they're both reading 3.6v and aren't unlocking. Seems very odd to me that this problem would occur now, while I'm in there working on it, but I can't figure out what I could have done. Any ideas anyone?

Bobcatdan

Single blink is traction lock hold circuit is open. I checked voltage at the solenoids and they're both reading 3.6v and aren't unlocking. Seems very odd to me that this problem would occur now, while I'm in there working on it, but I can't figure out what I could have done. Any ideas anyone?
Are you checking the solenoid on the brake block? The control vavle has nothing to do with the brake.

OP
OP
P

Philosaw

Are you checking the solenoid on the brake block? The control vavle has nothing to do with the brake.
The way I looked at it was that when the traction is locked, so are the tilt and lift solenoids. Neither of those solenoids function right now, so maybe I'm wrong, but I assumed that circuit is faulty. I haven't dug into the electrical schematics yet, but seem like 3.6volts is pretty low. I pulled both solenoids off and visually confirmed that they don't move when energized.

OP
OP
P

Philosaw

The way I looked at it was that when the traction is locked, so are the tilt and lift solenoids. Neither of those solenoids function right now, so maybe I'm wrong, but I assumed that circuit is faulty. I haven't dug into the electrical schematics yet, but seem like 3.6volts is pretty low. I pulled both solenoids off and visually confirmed that they don't move when energized.
After a bunch of time, I found that the brake solenoid had a bad connection. Fixed it and the brake started working and so did the lift / tilt spools. Even the bucket works, though I know better than to think i will stay that way. Thanks to you, BCD and to others that helped. Now I'm hoping for more than two hours out of it before the next adventure.

Tazza

Staff member
After a bunch of time, I found that the brake solenoid had a bad connection. Fixed it and the brake started working and so did the lift / tilt spools. Even the bucket works, though I know better than to think i will stay that way. Thanks to you, BCD and to others that helped. Now I'm hoping for more than two hours out of it before the next adventure.
Glad you got it sorted out, so simple, yet hard to find.